Author Topic: SP5 Bypassing the Wiring Harness  (Read 3534 times)

Offline Brendon1128

• Confirmed
SP5 Bypassing the Wiring Harness
« on: February 02, 2017, 05:40:34 PM »
Hi,

I've been having problems with my wiring harness on my SP5 recently. All the exposed ports that I don't use are causing it to short out this winter between the rain, snow, and salts. I also need to shorten the wires drastically because they are way too long for my bike and setup. Rather than dealing with all these crazy wires, I want to just directly connect my throttle and e-brake to the motor harness. Can someone explain how the wiring set up works?

I opened up the main plug coming from the motor and connected both my throttle and e-brake, matching the colored wires:

Throttle - I have it connected color wise black-black, orange-orange, green-green, white-white, and brown-brown
e-brake - I have it connected color wise black-black, red-red, and blue-blue

For some reason the throttle doesn't work. The battery meter doesn't light up and when I twist it does nothing. The e-brake line works and initiates regen when I pull the lever. Does the wiring harness do anything else other than act as a splitter, or am I doing something wrong setup wise?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: SP5 Bypassing the Wiring Harness
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 12:35:59 AM »
Hi Brendon,

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that the colour of the wires in the motor harness correspond directly with the colours of the wires in either the main harness or the front harness.  :o
You may possibly find that some functions use the same colour for all three harnesses, but as Chinese manufacturers don't tend to follow a single logical scheme this may not be the case.  :(

I have not actually dissected any of the Magic Pie main harnesses or control harnesses to see what colours are used for each function, but have seen three different colour schemes used for throttle wiring.

Here is a diagram showing the physical connections to each of the connectors on the MP5 but I don't know what the colours of the internal wires inside each of the harnesses are:

Perhaps you can carry out a continuity check to determine what function each of the coloured wires on the front harness are.

If you still have the connectors that you cut off, you may be able to determine how the colour wires were originally connected (hopefully there will be enough wire left on the connectors to see the colours).

Here is a picture showing the different colour wires on one of my early vector controllers:

The colours and functions of the thin wires are listed in the centre of the picture.

Check out this thread regarding an MP4 with similar problems.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:12:24 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Brendon1128

• Confirmed
Re: SP5 Bypassing the Wiring Harness
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 11:54:33 PM »
Thanks Alan! I'll use this to reference the pin colors