Author Topic: Magic Pie 5 Brake and Reverse Wiring  (Read 4014 times)

Offline Enemzack

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 5 Brake and Reverse Wiring
« on: February 01, 2017, 08:21:56 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Greetings from Malaysia!

I am currently in the process of making quadricycle using 2 Magic Pie 5.

one of the feature is, it will be using a gear lever from forklift that have F, N, and R. (forward, neutral and reverse).

is it possible to share battery ground cable from the brake (1) to activate the reverse function?

example:
when the gear is in:
F position: none cable will be connected
N position: 1 & 2 connected
R position: 1 & 3 connected

just to confirm everything is good.
BTW the gear lever is working as intended. :)

Regards
Nik

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie 5 Brake and Reverse Wiring
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 10:37:32 PM »
Hi Nik andto the forum.

As all of the ground connections are common it will be fine to share the battery ground cable from the brake to activate the reverse function.

Have you checked the switch to make sure it works as you're expecting it to? Most three position toggle switches are of the On-Off-On variety which do not make any connections in the mid position. The common centre pin (1) usually connects with one of the outer pins (2) or (3) when the switch lever is moved either side of the centre (Off) position.

If your wheels are going to be mirrored (i.e. both rear wheels have the brake disc on the inside) you will need to change the default direction of the wheel that is facing the wrong way.

Check out this post for more information.

Alan

Offline Enemzack

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 12:45:50 AM »
Yes, the switch do need some modification to work as what we want.

Golden motor already make 1 motor that move in a reverse direction, and the cruise function works for both motor.

Btw, after I read the post you shared, is it necessary to connect both reverse cable? I connected only to one motor and when I activate the switch, both motor move in reverse position

Nik

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 12:38:53 PM »
Is it necessary to connect both reverse cable? I connected only to one motor and when I activate the switch, both motor move in reverse position

Hi Nik,

If connecting only one wire to ground reverses both motors (the normal motor runs backwards and the motor set to run in reverse runs in the opposite direction) then the two reverse signal wires must already be connected together where the main harnesses were joined. If this is the case, grounding either of the two blue signal wires will select reverse on both motors.  ;)

When the wheels are both fitted to the vehicle, it is worth checking that both motors do change their direction of rotation when reverse is selected or one would simply be pushing (or pulling) against the other.  ::)

Alan

Offline Enemzack

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 03:35:24 AM »
... it is worth checking that both motors do change their direction of rotation when reverse is selected or one would simply be pushing (or pulling) against the other.  ::)...

Yup, its moving on the correct direction when I lift up the motor to test. The only troublesome now is to set the controller which now each have to be set indiviually.  :-\