Author Topic: Controller question  (Read 5957 times)

Offline ecyclist

Controller question
« on: July 20, 2007, 07:08:14 PM »
I'm kind of new to this. I purchased a golden motor kit and now I'm looking to pick up a battery. Was wondering how many amps the controller is that comes with the Golden Motor kit? I want to find a NiMH battery back that will provide an excellent current to the motor, I obviously want the best performance I can get from my Golden Motor. Has anybody used the Golden Motor NiMH packs, any ideas on the specs or performance?

Thanks!

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Controller question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 07:25:23 PM »
It seems like your pack needs to be able to provide somewhere between 20A and 30A.  The motor is rated at 500W continuous, so peak delivered power shouldn't be much higher than 750W.  One user reported as high as a 30A draw from the batteries (~1000W), while myelectricbike is reporting a peak controller-motor current of 20A.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 08:29:13 PM »
That's output current to the motor from the standard contoller... While the standard controller itself probably uses not more than 2 or 3 amps max the other 7 or 8 could be the result of inefficient mosfet switching resulting in its loss as heat. There is probably an article somewhere that would give you a better and more accurate idea. Eventually I plan to monitor and record everything but not within the next year.

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 10:17:53 PM »
Sorry, I tried to distinguish the different measurement locations (battery draw vs. controller to motor current) in my post, but it doesn't hurt to have it stated more clearly.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 11:31:27 PM »
No problem Mike. I asked whoever posted the 30 amp claim if they had measured the amperage going to the motor and I think they took it the wrong way, sold their kit on eBay and moved to the Crystalyte owners forum.  ;D