Author Topic: MP4 Axle Thread and Size  (Read 4969 times)

Offline WestOz

• Confirmed
MP4 Axle Thread and Size
« on: August 24, 2015, 03:25:39 AM »
I'm trying to find a nylock or second nut for my MP4 axle to lock the nut on as it keeps coming lose on the derailleur side.

But to my surprise metric, imperial, UNC and UNF threads and sizes at my local hardware shop didn't fit.

Does anyone know what size and thread the axle is?  Is this specific to bicycles?

Thanks

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP4 Axle Thread and Size
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 10:29:42 AM »
All of the Magic Pie axle threads I've seen have been M14 x 1.5mm, but M14 threads are available with several different pitches including 1.0mm, 1.25mm, 1.5mm and 2.0mm.
I suggest you check out this post and then measure the exact pitch of your axle's thread to ensure you purchase the correct threaded nuts.

A thread pitch gauge is the easiest and most accurate way to confirm the exact pitch of a thread:

But not many people have access to one of these. :(

Measuring the distance over ten threads (between 11 crests) should be accurate enough as shown here:

If yours is 15mm it will be a 1.5mm pitch, in which case these M14 x 1.5 Nyloc nuts on eBay should fit.

But if yours only measures 12.5mm across ten threads it will be a 1.25mm pitch.

Alan
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 12:37:08 AM by Bikemad »

Offline WestOz

• Confirmed
Re: MP4 Axle Thread and Size
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 11:51:52 AM »
Alan,

Many thanks for your input as always. 

I went to an alternative hardware group down here (sort of Home Depot size) and they also didn't have anything useful. So I figured Bike Shop it is.  Unfortunately they didn't have anything either.  So it wasn't a nut peculiar to a bike.  This was getting quite hard!!!  But they did send me around the corner to the eBike store (which I didn't know was there...me riding an eBike and all probably should have known) and guess what they had the right nut in spades. 

So its not a bike thing its an eBike thing!!!!!

Now the derailleur side nut is very nicely locked off with a nutty buddy.  Hasn't come lose yet.  Of course I'm now carrying a 21mm ring spanner to get the darn thing off should I need to to fix a puncture.....God forbid.  Armadillo tyres are worth their weight in gold.

Cheers,

WestOz