Author Topic: Installing additional electronics for Magic Pie  (Read 5132 times)

Offline RooGM

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Installing additional electronics for Magic Pie
« on: May 13, 2015, 04:31:25 PM »
Hi guys,

I currently power on my Magic Pie 4 by connecting the battery's deans connectors.  I'd like to add a power switch.  I can find a million different AC rated switches but finding the right DC switch that will handle 48v at say up to 100 amps is not as easy.  Does anyone know how I can work it out?  I know that AC switches are simpler because AC current drops to 0 twice per cycle, reducing the arc potential when the switch is flipped but DC is constant so the connection points within the switch need to be far enough apart to prevent arcing.  Any suggestions?

My second question is, I have a little LED voltage meter that I'd like to wire in.  I'd prefer not to have to run wires all the way from the battery location to the handle bar.  Can I tap in somewhere up front, say into the thumb throttle's LED assembly?

Thanks,
Roo

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Installing additional electronics for Magic Pie
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 08:57:29 PM »
Hi Roo,

Why do you need a 100A switch when the Magic Pie only draws around 30A under maximum load?

Check out this post for details of a double pole switch that can be used with the Magic Pie.
As the switch is only operated when the motor is not running there is unlikely to be enough current to induce much of an arc across the contacts. Fitting a precharge switch as described in the above linked post will eliminate the arcing that occurs every time the connection is made and will ensure the switch contacts last a long time.

The voltmeter can be wired into either the thumb throttle or the horn/cruise switch. There is a "Battery +" and "Battery -" connection inside both units so it might be wise to use the horn/cruise button unit as there are no large internal moving parts to rub against the additional wires you will be inserting.

You can use an ohmmeter to check for continuity between each of the battery terminals and the two required wires inside the switch unit (one of the horn switch wires is connected to "Battery +" and one of the cruise control switch wires is connected to "Battery -").

Alternatively you could wire it to the lighting feed wire so that it could be turned on and off with the switch on the throttle, or the horn feed wire so that it would only light up when you held the horn button down.

Alan

Offline RooGM

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 02:13:27 PM »
Hi Alan,

That is such a genius idea to wire it into the horn button so that the readout appears only when I need it to!  Thanks a million for that suggestion. 

As for the amperage, I have seen people push their MP4 up to 5000 watts with external controllers and I would assume that such power draws a lot of amps so I was going to use a switch that would be future proof should I ever run more power.  But there is a low possibility that I would ever feel the desire to run such high power or use an external controller.  I also don't want to fiddle with the unit while it's under warranty.  I have a switch here that's rated for 5A at 120v that I was going to use.  I don't know what amperage it would handle at 36v DC but I don't think it would do.  However it may be better than manually connecting and disconnecting the deans connector (creating sparks every time and slowly ruining the connectors).

Offline RooGM

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 02:29:08 PM »
I have just read your post about the switch and pre-charge button and this looks like the way to go.  Thank you so much.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 02:35:10 PM »
I have a switch here that's rated for 5A at 120v that I was going to use.  I don't know what amperage it would handle at 36v DC but I don't think it would do.  However it may be better than manually connecting and disconnecting the deans connector (creating sparks every time and slowly ruining the connectors).

If you wire a male and female deans connector to the switch you can simply plug it into your existing wiring and it will be quick and simple to bypass if you find it cannot cope with the power.

Alan

Offline RooGM

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 03:45:12 PM »
If the switch can't handle the current when riding what's the worst that can happen?  It will overheat and melt and possibly break the connection and I lose power?  Is there any risk to my Magic Pie or battery/BMS if the switch fails during use?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 10:38:52 PM »
Presumably you will just be using the switch on the positive supply lead? In which case its failure should not cause a direct short circuit and is unlikely to cause any damage to the battery/BMS or Magic Pie.

Unlike a short circuit, the current available at the switch would be a maximum of 30 Amps and the switch would probably get very hot and melt just like this fuse did as a result of a poor contacts within the fuse holder:

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:11:59 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Hastings

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 08:02:04 AM »
Yes this  is what happens to normal size automative fuses  even if they do not blow_I have moved to Maxifuses since the holders for normal size fuses can not handle the heat . They will develop higher and higher resistance and finally melt down.  Maxi fuse holders have larger /better connecting surfaces and do not get so hot. I used to replace fuse holder twice a season. I have not replaced my first Maxifuse  that I bought 2 years ago

Offline RooGM

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 02:18:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies  :)