Author Topic: Wrong parts delivered from factory need replacement  (Read 4450 times)

Offline ARTcycle

• Confirmed
Wrong parts delivered from factory need replacement
« on: October 21, 2014, 01:48:04 AM »
Hi Alan,

I have purchased three Smart Pie 36v rear wheel kits with bottle battery packs and lights. I have been using the bikes on factory settings to get them bedded in. I am now at the stage where I would like to adjust the controller.

With each of the kits the leads supplied do not fit the controller lead. The Smart Pie has a 5 pin male plug and the leads supplied are a 10 pin female which is the wrong diameter. The part number PI-405 appears to be a better match.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,   

Gilbert Grace

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Wrong parts delivered from factory need replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 11:40:50 AM »
Hi Gilbert andto the forum.

I suspect you have purchased the standard Smart Pie kits, in which case the ten pin connector should be the one to use:

On standard Smart Pies (and MPIIIs) the USB cable plugs into the ten pin plug on the motor harness that is also used for the main front control harness connection.
The programming software for the standard controllers can be downloaded from here.
You simply disconnect the front harness and plug in the USB cable instead, but make sure the battery remains either disconnected or turned off while you are programming the controller.

However, if you have the Smart Pie 4 (or an MP4) which has the new sine wave "vector" controller, it does use that five pin connector and a special USB lead with a matching five pin connector:

The software and programming technique for the vector controller is completely different to the ones used on the standard controllers.

If you actually have Smart Pies fitted with vector controllers then you will need to contact David at GM China to get the cables changed:

Please let us know how you get on.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:29:31 PM by Bikemad »

Offline ARTcycle

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 11:09:58 PM »
Hi,

Finally got around to reading the post. It was never clear on the diagram how to fit the proper leads. Maybe I just kept reading it wrong. I have fitted the lead and connected to laptop. Still attempting to decode the instructions. Factory setting is for 5% regeneration. Is that high or low? Speed is set at Max. That can be too fast for my use. Is there a way of having the pedal assist power on slowly and smoothly? At present it seems to come on in cycles power on power off power on power off. 

There is another plug though connected to the wiring harness. Can you explain what that is for please. 

Thanks,

Gilbert

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 11:17:11 AM »
Factory setting is for 5% regeneration. Is that high or low?

5% seems very low for the regeneration and is probably barely noticeable. The factory default on mine was 50%, but I now have mine set at to the maximum of 116% to save wear on my mechanical brakes.  ;)

Speed is set at Max. That can be too fast for my use.

You need to reduce the "FWD Speed Scale" to suit.

Is there a way of having the pedal assist power on slowly and smoothly? At present it seems to come on in cycles power on power off power on power off.

Unfortunately that's how the basic Pedelec setup seems to operate.   :(

Achieving a smooth regular power output is a lot more complex and expensive, and requires a Cycle Analyst to be installed, along with a pedal crank torque sensor.

You could try another PAS Level (Low, Mid or High) to see if it helps, but I don't think it will make it smooth and even.

There is another plug though connected to the wiring harness. Can you explain what that is for please.

The small five pin plug on the motor harness is used for the BAC-601 Smart LCD Display unit and programming the controller, but this is only with the later Vector controllers that use the same harness.

On the early Smart Pies it can be used to power a low current LED rear light that comes on when the battery is turned on and must be capable of running directly from the high battery voltage (i.e. 24V, 36V or 48V battery).

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 04:45:17 PM by Bikemad »

Offline ARTcycle

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 11:20:41 AM »
Thanks Alan,

Excellent instructions and much appreciated.

G