Author Topic: Ideas wanted  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Ideas wanted
« on: August 05, 2014, 10:19:08 PM »
Any suggestions for ways to accomplish this? I want to wind up with a 4" wide 20" wheel on a MP III hub motor.  Without spokes.  Crazy and silly ideas are ok.  imaginative ideas are preferred.   The result must be cool looking.   Epoxy is my friend.   

TTFN,
Dennis
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:49:59 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Ideas wanted
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 10:31:55 PM »
These are the parts I want to join. 

Thanks for bearing with me.

Dennis

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 02:10:34 AM »
You should be able to lace the rim to the hub using some strong thread just to initially get the rim properly centred and trued.
If you then apply some thin cyanoacrylate to the thread it should keep the whole assembly rigid enough for you to work with:

Once you have a rigid component to work with you can then permanently join the two items together using either carbon fiber over cardboard or 18 separate aluminium plates bonded and screwed (and/or riveted) one at a time to ensure the rim remains nicely trued throughout the whole process.

You will also need to consider how you will access the valve when it's all completed. Presumably you could drill another hole in the rim outside of your fixing plates etc. so the valve could be accessed more easily.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:48:40 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »
Hi Alan,

Hey, thanks for the great idea.  I was thinking along the lines of attaching the (unknown bits) to the hub, and then powering up the hub to approximate a lathe for making the bits concentric.  Your idea gives me more opportunities for imagination. What if carbon fiber fabric were draped over adjacent strings into interesting curved shapes.  That could make very stiff, visually attractive ribs between the hub and the rim.  Hmmm.

Come on, Folks, help me out here.

TTFN,
Dennis