Author Topic: (motor not working)What sensors are there in a Magic Pie 3 motor?  (Read 3957 times)

Offline MagicJacob

• Confirmed
Hello,
This is probably one 2 many threads I am opening because after a lot of stuff I tried to don nothing worked.

My motor is not working.

I tested my battery with another electric bike and it works great so I know it is not the battery.

I did the test to make the motor spin at full speed without a throttle and all I got is a small kick and then the wheel stops.

My readings from the controller are as they should be and my reading before switching the motor sensors were fine, alternating between 0V-5V and one of the sensors gave 4.5V-0V. the strange thing is that after I put the new sensors I am still getting the same readings.

Already switched 2 controllers and that didn't help, got the same readings for both   of them and both  of them made the motor kick and stop.

Is there any more sensors or electric parts in the motor I should check, what about a temperature sensors, is there one of those? 
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 07:48:26 PM by MagicJacob »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: (motor not working)What sensors are there in a Magic Pie III motor?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 10:09:47 PM »

Hi MJ

The is no temperature sensor in the motor, just the windings and the three hall sensors.

If the motor is still OK (hall sensors and windings) it must be either the controller, its wiring or a battery connection problem.

Alan

Offline MagicJacob

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 03:37:40 PM »
H?,
So no other electrical components that could be changed in the motor?
I asking because the battery is 100% and I already tried 2 different controllers and already changed 3 motor hall sensors.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 11:40:08 PM »
So no other electrical components that could be changed in the motor?

Unfortunately not, all of the electrical components in the wheel (with the exception of the three hall sensors) are integrated into the speed controller itself.

The hall sensors are the only sensitive electrical components situated inside the motor itself, the actual phase windings on the stator appear to be very robust, and mine have been subjected to burst currents of just under 100 Amps without any signs of failure or overheating.

Unfortunately, it still sounds like either a controller problem or a poor connection on the motor wiring harness to me.

Carefully inspect the Anderson battery connectors on the battery power lead to make sure their contact surfaces are clean and not burnt, and also make sure there is a good connection between the cable and the connector itself (it should either be crimped or soldered securely with no discernible movement within the connector)

If the controller is getting full battery voltage, and it does not run when the throttle test is carried out, it is most probably a faulty (or incorrectly programmed) controller.

Make sure the voltage setting of the controller is not higher than the battery voltage. A controller set for 24v operation will run with 24V, 36V or 48V batteries, but a controller set for 48V operation will not run on 24V or 36V!

Under the Motor Type section make sure BLDC is checked and that the phase angle setting is on 120 and not 60.

If you're not sure what all the settings should be, simply click the "Factory Setting" button and then make sure the Motor Voltage setting is not higher than your battery voltage before you save the settings to the controller by clicking the "Store/Save" button.

Alan

Offline Sulanino

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 06:36:36 PM »
Maybe this post can help?

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=4863.0

Best regards, Lasse.