Author Topic: Pedal assist mp3  (Read 8348 times)

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Pedal assist mp3
« on: October 04, 2013, 08:24:17 AM »
Hi all .I have just received a MP3 Rear conversion, In the box of extras I have the pedal assist unit ,but the 3 pin plug does not correspond to anything on the wheel.
Also can someone in UK supply a usb program cable ,Used would be fine  I have mailed some uk dealers on golden motor site but no response as yet.
Last on , can I disable the regen braking with the usb cable, as I have disk brakes

Offline Sam.Vanratt

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Pedal assist mp3
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 03:05:20 PM »
Hi bwizz
the PAS 3pin is just quite common; GM use the direkt cable version so not detachable (apart from the splitter on the hub itself). So use soldering or put a 3pin "board plug" (used in computer mainboards). The fanout cable and it's connection you can grab at the only GM station responding: goldenmotor.ca. Gary posts quite a lot here as well, so look out.
Regen is downsizeable to 1% but not deactivateable. Some have mentioned that the reg does not behave to the percentage (mine is at 50%) adjusted but as the controller seems very prone to small failures that's maybe just one case. Regen is not good for most batteries so I understand your wish.
For my part I love the regen braking as my Magura MT8 will not be so heavy in use ( I cycle 12 month a year with about 15000km/a so a new disc and new brake shoes every year were normal; now I hope for the better) and the force is quite constant; nice after a hill climbing in the way down.
As my MP3 is currently out of order I cannot tell you more, but the four weeks it worked it was a nice add-on.
The Programming Cable is quite a simple USB-2-COM Adapter (where you simple have to change the VID & PID to use the GM Software GUI). As my computer features a seriell port I was able to sent/receive to the controller (which is quite fancy as the which bit does what function was a bit of an adventure). As you might experience with the settings (e.g. change the voltage, PAS or regen braking or acceleration) you might think about buying one. If you like it plain vanilla maybe that oversized (onetime adjusting) but it's pretty nice what you could do with this controller.
Cheers
Sam

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 08:05:41 PM »
 Hi thanks for imput , On the motor main cable which 3 wires  does the pedal assist connect to , not clear on the gm site ! I don't know what VID &  PID .
Are you saying your system only lasted  4 weeks from new?
I take your point regarding brake wear , I might remove the rear caliper and try the regen on just the rear, also might take of the front mech that would give me roon for the cruise control. I'll try to sort out the optimum front chain ring ratio first though.
Lots if ideas I hope it lasts for longer than 4 weeks

Offline Sam.Vanratt

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 11:39:47 AM »
Hi Bwizz
three pins are OK for most UART (one type is the typ RS-232 connection with min of three cables: RX/TX/GND). Seriell would work if only two are connected (RX+GND or TX+GND) so it would fit your discription. The clear wiring instruction is a mess if you ask me. I needed third party sources as my PAS-only connection was really difficult (no input) to establish. VID & PID is only needed when you use USB; your cut seems in the UART section (3pins needed plus the Voltage to get the controller working=4pins)
My first MP3 was assembled in a hurry (no thinking about torque, no thinking about consumer products, not thinking about NON mass production; so simple out of the box, minimum cables attached, screws in: got it working). I should have checked it in the first place because all my 3 MP3s varies in the sideplates and the axle (corrosion). A big blowhole/bubble was in the black anodized part and let a big amount (~50ml) water from pouring rain in and defected the motor and controller. At that time I already ordered the other two MP3s of mine (because of the fanatic experience with the first. According to the forum I opened the case (which voided the warranty) and inspected the damage. At that moment I recognized that a few small but important things were missing: a) stainless or anti corrosion prevention, b) the bearings had a feelable tolerance, c) the support was limited to goldenmotor.ca & this forum, d) the coils were not sealed with impregnation dips (like most of chinas motor/transformators I've seen); e) the cable inlet+cables where not sealed so the copper would corrode in the long run and small amounts of water could come in; this is critical as voltage is always there so dissolve of tin & copper could happen quite easily.
My first MP3 is now in complete "refurbishment" and with the help of the forum I'm completly change that points.
a) the axle (it was stained the moment it arrived here and up to 1mm deep corrosion was "normal") could be changed but I added anti corrosion coatings and prevention
b) was changed to SKS bearings with low loss
c) the forum and some other private websites helped with the "missing links"; next time I will buy I BIOnX and change rear to front which has been done a few times.
d) is still in doing (most worktime is spent there so the measures keeps the same); I expect the humming is completely gine
e) different cables which are sealed on the outlet. The not needed cables helps to minimize the cables and usual plugs will be used (like neutrik & USB).
Brake: buy a brake with connector&switch which are quite common; my magura was a bigger challenge but found and works flawlessly; so you have regen and a disc brake as well and no additional levers.

Longlife: the failure in the sideplates was surely unusual and hard to detect (5mm in dia) because black on black; the inner life is nothing to hide, but minimizations for lower production costs. I got a Nine continent  and Crystal as well which looks quite the same or worse.
Cheers and best luck
Sam

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 01:44:46 PM »
Thanks but my luck ran out on first ride. My partner was using the bike we stopped for coffee , when we came back to the bike. seemed like the rear brake was on . So had to get the car and to recover bike , got back home to investigate. I freed the rear wheel by removing the lead to the battery. But upon reconnect all the electrics are dead . checked battery voltage it was fine!
I fit another thumb throttle , this got me back the batter voltage indicator "fine " but the motor is lifeless.
I will contact Golden motor for a replacement but what a pain!

Offline Sam.Vanratt

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 02:21:51 AM »
Hi
sad to hear. As mine was a mechanical problem (even the rust was maybe a storage or dealer problem) I heard a lot about the lowerr quality of the internal controller, which puzzles me as the construction (could only tell about my only open and tested one) seems quite OK, apart from lowQ HALL sensors. Maybe you should try the forum as the problem was reported a few times.... but not every dealer accepts screwing around the MP3 (warranty). On my question about the opening procedures or RMA via GM direct I never received any reply so the local dealer seems essential.
Best luck!
SAm
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 06:07:11 AM by Sam.Vanratt »

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 07:47:48 AM »
I got my kit direct from China, i'm not sure that a UK dealer would be interested?
I'll give it a few days for GM to get back to me

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 11:43:41 AM »
On the motor main cable which 3 wires  does the pedal assist connect to , not clear on the gm site !

It connects to the Black, Red and Yellow wires shown at the top of this diagram:

Alan

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 02:00:46 PM »
Ok Ta is there a diagram of a fitted pedal assist available?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 07:50:07 PM »

More information on the fitting of the PAS sensor assembly can be found on page 24 of the installation guide.

Alan

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 07:45:15 AM »
Ok Thanks , I did not know there was an installation guide. Why is there no matching plug on the motor loom assembly?
I've just checked the installation guide ,It relates to the MP2 motor. Is pedal assist redundant on the mp3?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 08:02:24 AM by Bwizz »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 05:41:29 PM »

PAS is not a mandatory requirement for all countries, so GM only seem to supply the harness with the connector fitted when PAS is required, but for some unknown reason they must have supplied the basic harness with your kit.

The same also applies to the lighting and horn connector which is only fitted if the light/horn unit is purchased along with the kit.

I feel this is the wrong approach for a company of GM's stature and that all harnesses should be standardised and supplied with all the necessary connectors to allow simple plug in connections without having to resort to using a soldering iron.
Unfortunately the priority appears to be keeping the manufacturing costs as low as possible in preference to achieving a much higher level of customer satisfaction. ::)

Pedal assistance is not exactly redundant on the MPIII, but I much prefer not to use it as it can only provide power relative to the pedal speed rather than the actual force being applied on the pedals (torque controlled).

If you fit a plug in connector you can at least unplug the sensor if you find the assistance is too much, but if you have permanently soldered connections you are stuck with it.

Alan

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 06:18:57 PM »
Ok , I think I am clear on the pedal assist now, but I have other issues to deal with, reliability seems to be a major  issue , with myself and others having early failures. Probably good that the product seems to attract people able to tinker.
Again thanks for quick response
Brian UK

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 08:06:25 PM »
I fit the pedal assist to my mountain bike. what a nightmare, only really suitable for a road chainset. In my case I had to shim the bottom bracket axle out, grind away the inner ring mounting bosses, and then grind slots in the plastic pedal assist rotor. luckily I have a spare chainset, otherwise I  would have given up ,There needs to be more thought on making this a more generic fitting!
Something to do I suppose whilst I wait for a replacement motor controller