Author Topic: mp3 died first trip  (Read 3007 times)

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
mp3 died first trip
« on: October 07, 2013, 07:55:22 AM »
On our first try out with the MP3 rear kit. My partner was using the bike we stopped for coffee , when we came back to the bike. seemed like the rear brake was on . So had to get the car and to recover bike , got back home to investigate. I freed the rear wheel by removing the lead to the battery. But upon reconnect all the electrics are dead . checked battery voltage it was fine!
I fit another thumb throttle , this got me back the batter voltage indicator "fine " but the motor is lifeless.
I will contact Golden motor for a replacement but what a pain!
Any ideas appreciated

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP III died first trip
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 09:36:08 AM »
Hi Brian,

It sounds like you are not having a lot of luck at the moment as you may have a faulty controller which will need to be replaced.
It's worth double checking that all the connectors on the harnesses are plugged in fully and that neither of the brake levers are stuck slightly open.

Did the wheel become stiff again when the battery was reconnected?
If so, I would suggest temporarily unplugging the two brake switches to see if the stiffness goes away, as this would indicate a problem with one of the brake switches.

What voltage battery are you using and what was the measured voltage reading?

Alan

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 10:11:04 AM »
Hi Iwas not using the re brakes at all as I have disc brakes,  The battery measure 48 V  full voltage.
When I removed the battery lead the wheel freed and strayed free with the battery reconnected. but I have lost the led lights on the thumb throttle, they come back with another thumb throttle connected. but the motor is dead

Offline Sam.Vanratt

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:24:19 AM »
Hi Bwizz
any reaction yet from your GM Dealer?
Cheers
Sam

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 07:59:02 AM »
Hi Yes so far good response from GM, "China"There is a controller on its way.In the interim I found another issue , a bare wire ,One of the 3 wires going to the controller, I hope this was not the cause of the failure, as there is probably more damage through possible shorting to the motor casing. Any idea if the wiring is the same on the thumb and twist  throttlea as I have two thumb throttles and a twist throttle  with the end cable cut of. Also what would  a used  controller be worth as I was given a mp3 with seized stator and I suspect that the controller is ok. different to mine though. the newer one is much simpler circuit and wiring.

This delay is very frustrating as my partner was very impressed with her first ride
Brian, Cornwall UK