Author Topic: Battery discharge - cells discharged to different voltages  (Read 14387 times)

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Battery discharge - cells discharged to different voltages
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2012, 01:55:44 PM »
Thank you Alan for your tips. I'll do it and publish results soon.

BTW, would you recommend on some cells balancer, which doesn't require an external power?

Thank you
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:57:56 PM by dmitryl »

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 05:39:45 PM »
Hi Folks,

Even on vacation, Alan is a genius!  I had not even thought about post-discharge cell recovery!   To find out for sure, you can discharge the battery, test it s cell voltages, let it rest for a while and measure them again.  My bet is now on the voltages being higher and more uniform during the second set of measurements.   (Maybe with one cell being much lower, with that being a cause of your reduced range.)

Damn, that dude is clever! 

But I'm still taller on the internet. 

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2012, 04:14:26 PM »
BTW, would you recommend on some cells balancer, which doesn't require an external power?

I only use the balancer function of my charger when charging my LiPo packs, I don't really see any point in deliberately discharging the better cells down to the same level as the poorest one. I'm pretty sure this would only convert unused power into wasted heat while simultaneously reducing the life expectancy of the better cells, which I don't see as being of any benefit to the battery pack. 

Quote from: Dennis
But I'm still taller on the internet.

Dennis, you currently appear to be very small on my mobile!

Alan

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2012, 04:43:27 PM »
:) 

Cheeky Buggar!

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2012, 04:45:08 PM »
I don't really see any point in deliberately discharging the better cells down to the same level as the poorest one
As far as I know, BMS actually disconnects a battery from the load once one of the cells was discharged under certain voltage level. For example, if one of the cells in the pack is discharged to 2.0V and rest of the cells just to 3.0V, all the pack will be disconnected from the load.
I know that so problematic cell, which is so quickly looses its voltage, should be replaced to the now one. But, probably an another way to cope with the problem is to let the cells being balanced during discharge... I don't know...

Offline Just

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »
Anyway, I've found two problematic cells in my pack - the first one has '0V' and the second one has '3.3V', but a voltage of the last one drops down to '0.7V' once the battery gets connected to the load.
So, should I throw away both of the cells? Is there any method of the cells recovery?
Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:51:55 PM by dmitryl »