Author Topic: Torque Arm  (Read 12137 times)

Offline erdurbin

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • not so Common sense
Torque Arm
« on: July 08, 2007, 03:49:13 AM »
Does this look like it would be a good torque arm for our kits? If so, I may buy one.

http://www.poweridestore.com/Hub-Motor-Acces/Torque-Arm/Hub-Motor-Torque-Arm

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Torque Arm
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 09:41:49 AM »
One of the nice things about the Golden kit is that it lends itself to mods and the arm listed above is neither inexpensive or designed as an accommodation for mods. I can't imagine that anyone with enough money to afford that arm would not have already forked out an unnecessary $500 or $600 for the kit its probably for.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 06:06:53 PM by myelectricbike »

29a

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 08:49:37 PM »
Any torque arm is better than none, but I don't think this one will fit as its made for a specific axle which is 12mm diameter with two oposite flat sides of 9.5mm which I don't think GM is.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZNwmpLPhoHw

Offline erdurbin

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • not so Common sense
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 03:30:17 AM »
I found this site and he will sell an arm to me for 5 dollars AUD. The only problem is that the shipping is from China and it will be $21.40 US to ship.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/solarbbq/torquearmsandwashers.htm

I am not sure if it is worth that for a piece of metal. Don't you think I can get something locally made for cheaper?

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 12:53:13 PM by erdurbin »

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 08:20:42 AM »
If you are running Windows XP, highlight the picture and then select  "Resize Pictures" under "Files" to generate a lower (small) resolution. Then replace the the above with the smaller resolution.

As for making your own torque arm you can try one of these by using epoxy to lock the thumbwheel in place.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 11:48:31 PM »
 Could golden make a torque arm and offer it as an option??? I for one would be willing to buy it!

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 07:43:40 AM »
I think that Golden would discourage the use of torque arms simple to keep from appearing to hold a double standard that on the one hand steel frames are recommended but that on the other hand an alloy frame might be OK if a Golden torque arm were purchased. In other words it could cause problems in front of a judge. The liability agreement would also have to be correspondingly updated and a disclaimer made exceptionally clear using nothing more than ink.

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 09:52:35 PM »
  I think it would be a good idea for torque arms to be included as a safety feature since we have to remove some material to make the hub motor fit correctly. I am not an expert, but when you modify something from its original purpose (front dropout from just hold a wheel straight to making it a powered hub) you have to accomodate for the increased stresses on the dropout. Brand X recommends torque arms and brand H includes them in their kit, so in general the industry acknowledges the increase stresses on the dropouts. The torque arms could be mass produced for a very small amount of money. I personally would pay the difference for a piece(and peace) of mind knowing I am not going to lose my wheel or have a damaged fork.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 10:56:27 PM »
Golden is making improvements and every time I get a new kit it seems like something new has been added like the fuse and fuse holder for the battery pack, etc. but again Golden would rather you not use a torque arm on an alloy bike because its not just the hangers that are a problem but rather the fork from the point where the arm would stop up to the headset. The rear wheel kits, however, do come with a torque arm/band break assembly and 160mm spacing, which is the spacing used on Tandem bikes. Try cold setting an alloy rear triangle from 130mm to 160mm axle spacing and if it doesn't break while you are doing it then it will break sometime down the road. The torque arm is required for a steel rear triangle because of the additional stress from breaking that even steel dropouts might not be able to handle.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:14:18 PM by myelectricbike »

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 11:18:48 PM »
 I am sorry I did not make myself clear, I was refering to steel forks only, not alloy(aluminum). These hub motors are extremely powerful for their size and even steel dropouts have a tough time taking all that torque.(Look at the videos on YouTobe of "bicycle burnouts") I am glad that Golden is listening and making improvements to their product.  :) :) P.S. I would NEVER try to cold or hot set a alloy front or rear, thats way out of my league. (or as the Croc Hunter would have said,"danger, danger, danger!!!") ;D

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 12:21:19 AM »
Most of us have had a brother or best friend that we trusted say "Yeah, sure go ahead and use your aluminum bike... forget about the warning, that's what the torque arm is for." 

Nada, necktor  ???, non, yet, nein,  8)