Author Topic: Crystalyte vs Magic pie  (Read 17593 times)

Offline blompod

• Confirmed
Crystalyte vs Magic pie
« on: January 14, 2012, 09:07:59 AM »
I just discovered this brand of electric hub motor, a place in Canada can do one with a 48v battery pack to take it up to 1500w. Its sensorless, no hall sensors so would be more reliable as they do tend to fail. Does anyone know about these motors? good bad or Indifferent?  8)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Re: Crystalyte vs Magic Pie
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 09:38:41 AM »
They have a good reputation, although sensorless will probably mean a slightly rougher running motor

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 05:46:35 AM »
Hi blompod,

Stating hall sensors tend to fail is a litlle extreme. I would phrase it more like hall sensors are one of only a few things that could fail. I would say from all the motors I have sold hall sensor failure is about 0.3 % or 3 out of a 1000.

Gary

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 03:43:46 PM »
  Hi, Blompod , I now own a Majic Pie . My previous Motor was a Crystalyte motor which had a failed hall sensor . I am going to help the friend that I gave the Crystalyte  Motor to repair it next month . I would go with the Pie . Just because a motor can run sensorless does't mean that something else can't go wrong , such as the controller . Also isn't the Crystalyte much more expensive ? The only thing I liked more about the Crystalyte that I had was that the Battery mounted on the frame on the water bottle holder screws . Just my 2 cents . Rodmiami   

Offline blompod

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »
Thanks guys, I can get the crystalyte for about the same price as the pie, they just look robust, what about Nine Continent heard much about those?

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 01:43:43 PM »
You are much better off with sensors, especially when using an external controller.

I'm running the pie sensorless and I'm having a few problems with nasty vibrations @full throttle that I put down to running is sensorless. Some motors will run better than others without sensors. Though having a sensorless controller lying around is a very good idea.

Also with sensors and an external infineon  you can use the 120% speed setting for an extra 5mph!

My sensors burned because I pushed the pie too hard up a 16% stretch or mountain, but failed halls is rare, it can happen but I would rather sensors than not!

Offline MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 09:48:03 PM »
Well after spending much much $$$$$$ the Magic Pie is still not good.
I have just broke the cover screws, yes the cover screws were very tightened.
The hex stainless screws are bad quality, the break easily.
So I gave up for Goldenmotor for now, I have only use the Magic for one test run.
Big waste of money you can say.

I have now Crystalyte HS3540, looks better to me.
But I will keep the MP3 when I am cooling down and have some insparation again for repairing it.

Offline Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 02:57:52 PM »
Wait until you have to open the Crystalite motor . I had to cut slots with a Dremel tool in all of the hex heads because they all stripped out on my friends kit . Rodmiami

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 05:13:55 PM »
Thanks for your info!

Yes the MP III screw broke and I could not drill it out without damaging the screw hole.
So I have make a bigger for one size bigger screw.

Do have any pictures of the Crystalyte motor without covers?
Which model did you own?

I see the phase wires are very thin, I think it will burn with high currents :-[
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 05:25:52 PM by MAGICPIE3FOCUSPOWER »

Offline atcspaul

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • motor bicycling
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 06:00:28 PM »
screw out adapter for drills work great. a must for any tool box. remove the stripped screw and replace with a new one the same size. http://www.sears.com/search=screw%20out?storeId=10153&catalogId=12605&vName=Tools&viewItems=25&autoRedirect=true&redirectType=CAT_REC_PRED

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 08:49:38 PM »
Thanks, I know those tools.
But screw is stainless steerl hard to drill.
It's very sliperry when drilling.

Offline atcspaul

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • motor bicycling
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 12:21:48 AM »
i realize they are and I stripped one. was able to get it out with the screw out. took a little time but it came out nicely. just kept screw out on it in reverse. soon caught enough for the screw to unscrew.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:23:49 AM by atcspaul »

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 06:26:43 AM »
Off subject, is that ATCS USN?

TTFN,
Dennis
ETCM(SS)

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 08:46:29 AM »
i realize they are and I stripped one. was able to get it out with the screw out. took a little time but it came out nicely. just kept screw out on it in reverse. soon caught enough for the screw to unscrew.

Waauww you have lucky, mine was welded to the screw hole.
What drills did you use? cobalt?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Acronyms
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 02:04:51 PM »
Off subject, is that ATCS USN?

Dennis, here's a little clue from the GM website:

Quote from: Paul Horak
"The island I live on is mountains and I climb lots of big hills and the bike performs fantastic. Basically where I live is just like hawaii however we are in the middle of the atlantic ocean instead of the pacific. I live on the north shore of the island and travel thru the mountains to the south shore to the airport I am an air traffic controller at. I always check the motor after a long climb and it does not get hot, warm at most. The performance of the MagicPie and now the SmartPie is by far the best there is."

Would you like to have another guess?

Anyway, why are you involved with Electrolytic Tin Coated Steel (Stainless Steel) all of a sudden? :D

Alan