Author Topic: Has anyone EVER received a perfectly new, perfectly working battery from GM ?  (Read 7464 times)

kazbluesky

I'm interested to hear if there is anyone who bought a GM Lifepo got one which they are sure was perfectly new and perfectly working.  By this I mean no scratches / blemishes at all,  all cells lighting up when on charger. 

If you did please reply.

If you didn't please reply.

Offline redbike

First one went up in a puff of smoke due to poor workmanship. It was not as specified as it had a plastic case and the case was approx 6mm too short so all the contents were crushed inside. The main conductor insulation was cut and touching the key switch. KPOOF!!!!! ;D :'(

The replacement looked good, although a screw was missing from the handle, but did not work. I built a 350W load bank and it seemed fine on that so it is hard to tell if something else failed due to the short from the first but. I am working through that now with help from the forum. ???

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
G'day Kaz,

I myself am happy to say that I got what looked to be new battery and has been working perfectly up to date. The case is also genuine metal.

Muzza.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic

The replacement looked good, although a screw was missing from the handle, but did not work. I built a 350W load bank and it seemed fine on that so it is hard to tell if something else failed due to the short from the first but. I am working through that now with help from the forum. ???

Hook it up to (36v 3x 12v), (48v 4x 12v)  50 watt halogen lights and if it dies in under 60 mins its a definite battery problem .  You can buy 5 packs of 50 watt halogens for around $5.  I used to hook one up to a 12 ah 12v battery and it would do an ev trip nicle.  Very good light too.

Edit:

12 amp hour pack should do 36v 150 watts 48v 200 watts watts should do over an hour.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 01:07:56 PM by Smeee »

Bring it on

Offline sigpaw

I have 3 different packs, one shorted during shipping and melted down.

The other two arrived looking beat up. They both had cells fail during their second cycles (1000 cycles my ASS!).

Very, very, very poor quality. This company is the abssolute BOTTOM OF THE BARREL. Their workmanship is 4th rate. The have a guy that makes all sorts of promises, but never delivers.

BUYER BEWARE!!

kazbluesky

I read on Endless-sphere that GM sent a shipment of hub motors to ebikes.ca and they all turned out to be used.  This is not very encouraging......

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6514&sid=140d15a9075084b6a2f9ee4b6de2da50

Offline DAND214

• Confirmed
Yes I have. I got it about a month ago. Opened it up and it apears to be new. I like the fake aluminum case, plastic aluminum color. It was fine, it's on my recumbent 20" frt gm hub and has at least a dozen cycles on it. I would say it is not as strong as my FOXX POWER pack but runs almost as long. 39 miles stop and go unassisted starts which is nice on a recumbent. 4 bridge crossings and top speed of 16mph. Like I said not bad but not the best. As for scraches it's plastic in a poorley packed box!

SEPT 23 THINGS HAVE CHANGED,
I DECIDED TO PUT ANOTHER RUN ON THE GM PACK AND AS I PLUGGED IT IN I GOT THE USUAL SPARK AND A BUNCH OF SMOKE OUT OF THE BATTERY. UPON INSPECTION I SEE THE FEED WIRES APPEAR TO BE FUSABLE LINKS OR JUST UNDER SIZED WIRING. I REPAIRED THE FEED WIRES AND TRIED IT AGAIN, MORE SMOKE THIS TIME IT'S THE JUMOERS ON THE REAR OF THE CELLS. REPLACED WITH 12 GA SILICONE WIRES LIKE THE FEED WIRES. IT APPEARS TO BE OK AND ALL OF THE LIGHTS ON THE CHARGER ARE LIGHTING SHOWING THE BALANCING CYCLE IS ON. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THESE CELLS SHOW HIGHER VOLTAGE THEY AHVE HIGHER RESISTANCE LIKE NICADS DO. DO YOU THINK I SHOULD AS FOR A REPLACEMENT OR LIVE WITH IT?
DAND214
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 03:53:07 PM by DAND214 »

kazbluesky

It's good to know you got a good battery.  Anyone else? 

Offline Wtm

• Confirmed
I got one from GM worked for about 1 hour then started cutting out re charged worked for a few minutes then stopped working. E-mailed Phil at GM said to check the battery output no output but charged ok.  Re emailed Phil no reply.  Read about checking by the charging plug #1 &15.  Tried that big spark and burned one of the charging nipples.  Very discussed, think the battery is total junk, DO NOT WAIST YOUR MONEY!!!!  Still have not heard back from GM and now out all that time & money.