Author Topic: Dual Drive???????  (Read 6332 times)

Offline Andy

• Confirmed
Dual Drive???????
« on: September 13, 2011, 02:27:28 AM »
 :)
Looking for some input from some experienced souls.
I have a Veloteq with a Lube injection gear reduction BLDC motor rated ar 500w, battery is 48v 20AH.
The controller is supposed to be rated at 750w. Canadian law requires motor rating of 500w and maximum speed of 32kph or 20mph for use on public roads. Quite good at acceleration and hillclimbing this configuration lacks cruising speed on flat ground.
I have thought of going dual drive and install a hub drive on the front wheel with an independent controller.
The two motors would share the power supply. I live in a city with lots of hills and surrounded by a 300ft (100m) escarpment.
I hope to gain the following;
   a) Regenerative braking.
   b) Higher top speed on flat straight aways around 30mph (50kph) or better for offroad use ;)
   c) A little more range due to regenerative braking and higher efficiency. Intend to use rear motor for aceleration from a stop, hill climbing and  stop and go urban traffic. Then use front motor as a hiway gear or brake. I envision only one motor pulling at any given time. Something like a low and high drive.
Alternative ideas are;a)Increased power supply such as going to 60v and/or higher amp hour rating for increasd top end and range.
                             b)Replace just the controller and reconfigure
                             c)Add secondary backup power supply, maybe 48v 10AH for just increasd range.
Positive input would be appreciated greatly; 
Andy

Offline Thaialien

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Dual Drive???????
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 06:37:28 PM »
Dual drives ( I think are great ,,,,,apart from one thing weight,,,,,and you ride smiling ! big benafit ) if you ever had 4 wheel drive auto cars. then this is a must fpr bikes !
Try to put a smile on the face of others it cost nothing ...by what you say !