Author Topic: Bike Security  (Read 19137 times)

1 swift turtle

Re: Bike Security
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 04:23:58 PM »
what iv'e done is but a cheap personal gps tracking device in the motor controller,and carry the keychain remote to activate.topten electronics
and myself are developing just such a system for sale on the market next spring.
the prjected cost 100-125 usd.you may want to look at some of the personal gps sites in the mean time....

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 08:45:32 PM »
Hey thats a great idea idea Swifty. 

So how much would that set me back for 5 bikes.  Im looking for something on the cheap to be honest! and you need a tracker and how much.

I think car alarms are noise polution, rude and just plain old fashon annoying when they go off for no reason.

I remember one car went off all night and every night, I wish someone would steal the forking thing.

The GPS is the best idea so far...  But that doesn't stop them from stealing it.  You need to be able to follow them and catch them I think the cops don't care these days unless you smoke a joint.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 08:48:26 PM by Smeee »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2008, 03:59:53 AM »
smee... lets see the rest of that bike. how do you secure your bike?

No problem

OK here goes.

Oh dear!

I use a cable chain  :-[  :D

Sorry for the anticlimax...

My idea of chaining it in full public view was proven a bit unreliable, when you posted this comment and the vid with it.

this guys seems to steal the same bike in different places to see if anyone does anything about it.  pretty sad commentary on society!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4yydGUB88c..

I decided to employ a helping hand to keep a watch out...

;D ;D ;D

See, I live in a smallish town/city and every one knows this damned tank of a bike belongs Smeee ("Les") I thought people would get to know me and the bike better if I put one of the kids soft toys in the back, one of particular populairty,   Everyone saw me, the bike, the chain, and all. 

Do you think some one is going to try steal it with bolt cutters if someone young lad is pointing at it and saying "look mum spidey man"

It has its advantages! Interesting approach huh?

:D :D :D

Bring it on

Offline nitecheck

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »
Hi - a heavy duty motorcyle cable lock works for me. (short length preferred to reduce weight). The cable is good to secure the frame & rear wheel - which should be deterent enough. But if I am shopping (sometimes with a bike trailer) - I bring a good quality Large Motorcycle U lock to secure the frame & cable the trailer & wheels. Bottom line is - if a thief is prepared & has the time - there really is little that you can do to stop him/her from taking your bike. Alarms are useless someone actually cares enough to get INVOLVED - in this day & age - unless you live in a country town, I would not count on this happening.

However making the thief re-evaluate the risk & difficulty associated with the theft - determines whether you return to an empty bike rack or are unloading shopping into panniers etc. Motorcycle locks - require the lowlife to carry quality bolt cutters & have the time to "saw" through cabling & bar rods - well worth the additional weight. I have a motorcyle too  ;D - so the items see double duty.
CRX 2008 Grey Stealth Nine Continent Av Speed 29kms/h.
XC GM kit Grey Stealth 2 - fully racked. (still in testing mode)
Other - VFR800i, Racer 8500 Lear Sport & my "evil one" 2 stroke powered MTB (soon to be sold). Great fun but need the funds to for the XC project.

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2009, 04:10:29 PM »
Bike thiefs in our country are very good......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1yImVLW_Q0
. _   _   __  __  ___  ____  ____  _     _   ____  ____
 ( )_( ) (  ) (  )(  _ \ (  _ \ (  _  )(  \/\/ ) ( ___) (  _ \
  ) _ (   )(__)(  ) _<  )___/ )(_)(  )      (   )__)   )    /
 (_) (_)(_____)(__ / (__)  (____)(__/\__)(____)(_)\_)

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 06:36:19 AM »
I have three of these on my bike at all times, they don't even look at the bike lol just be ready to dish out some money as they cost around $100 US each

14mm six-sided chain links made of 3t hardened manganese steel for ultimate strength
Durable, protective nylon cover with Hook-n-Loop fasteners to hold in place
Includes maximum security Disc Lock with 15mm MAX-Performance steel shackle

Offline vapid2323

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 06:39:03 AM »
Bike thiefs in our country are very good......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1yImVLW_Q0

Nope, the locks that guy used are just cheap. Move to New York and we might talk

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 02:38:01 PM »
I'm planning to use something likethis http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22969

But not with external battery, internal one and I'll try to hide it. It can respond to comands by sms, ofr examplo. Al the DX site there is dozens of systems like this.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 04:29:48 PM »
those dx things, I looked at them to...

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 06:35:27 PM »
I was looking at this http://cgi.ebay.com/RealTime-GSM-GPRS-GPS-Tracker-4-Pet-Child-Car-Free-Post_W0QQitemZ160393136415QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Devices?hash=item25582d091f Tracker. Its gpas based and functions through the GSM network by sending you a sms

I think it can be used without the battery which is 3,7v Charging current is 5v What iv I were to put 5 volt on it and build it in my bike somewhere? Does anybody know if the controller supplies 5v somewhere so I can direct connect this tracker?

Hmmmmm just wondering.

Otherwise, This would seem to be an option.... http://cgi.ebay.com/48V-5V-DC-to-DC-Converter-100W-48-5-Volt-Power-Supply_W0QQitemZ300368555195QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45ef5c6cbb
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 06:41:07 PM by Jazzjerry »
. _   _   __  __  ___  ____  ____  _     _   ____  ____
 ( )_( ) (  ) (  )(  _ \ (  _ \ (  _  )(  \/\/ ) ( ___) (  _ \
  ) _ (   )(__)(  ) _<  )___/ )(_)(  )      (   )__)   )    /
 (_) (_)(_____)(__ / (__)  (____)(__/\__)(____)(_)\_)

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 12:07:07 AM »
Don't those GPRS trackers require that you subscribe to a cell plan?
Neither of the two linked mention it, but since they both use
the network it seems like somebody has to pay for the data.

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 06:35:38 AM »
As I know, there is two options:

I CAN use a data link (GPRS) for real time tracking, so you will ned a plan in this case. Or you can use just the voice and sms function, than you can use a pre-paid plan. It will only send the location when you give an specific command by sms, and it answers by sms. My friend's unit can also auto-answer and voice call (silently) so you can hear the soroundings. You can put the device inside the battery case for example.

It is just an idea :D

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2010, 01:41:54 AM »
It's a great idea.

I'm just wondering what the long term cost is going to be.
At least in the US all the carriers expire their prepaid minutes
after 30 to 90 days.

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2010, 02:51:26 AM »
Yep, the same here, so I found it affordable, for a car not the bike :D

I'll try to not leave the bike anywhere, and buy an heat treated steel chain, that the theft can't cut it without a tourch and time. Much like vapid posted.
https://www.kryptonitelock.com/images/products/999492.jpg

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 08:38:31 AM »
i got a kryptonitelock aswell, I also had another lock on my bike but that one was cut off, they tried to steel it but couldn't unlock the kryptonitelock mhuahahahha