Author Topic: BAC-028x and Magic Pie  (Read 22039 times)

Offline suprted1

• Confirmed
BAC-028x and Magic Pie
« on: May 02, 2011, 08:57:50 AM »
Hello, any experience with this combo ?
BAC-028x and Magic Pie 26/28inch 48V/1000W.

Is there a regen that is troubled, recommended not used,( does it actually make a big difference if working) because of timing trouble and killing FET´s ?

There is a magic Pie with external controller, is it the same controller as internal, with another housing ?
The BAC-0282 sounds like a plug´n play 48V 50A controller with Magic Pie hubmotor, am I correct ?
I understand all warranty is probably broken, but thats OK. ( 48V,50A, 2,5KW :):), may be fun when it lasts ? 8)?)

Suprted1
Suprted1

26" Rear MPII, 14/15S LiPo, but I need to fix several spokes after the first testride of 20-30Km. Topspeed 50kh/h 35-40 on flat road, I neeeeed more :):)

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: BAC-028x and Magic Pie
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 03:33:16 PM »
Magic Pie's already have the controller, internet or external.
54.6 volts is what you'll get from a 48v gm battery but not 50 amps.
mostlikely 20amps max continious if you purchase the program cable with it.
no 2.5 kw or are you connecting 2 controller to 1 Magic Pie?

Offline suprted1

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 05:38:56 PM »
Magic Pie's already have the controller, internet or external.
54.6 volts is what you'll get from a 48v gm battery but not 50 amps.
mostlikely 20amps max continious if you purchase the program cable with it.
no 2.5 kw or are you connecting 2 controller to 1 Magic Pie?

I got a internal Magic Pie controller here, but I wonder if there is any difference between MP external controller and the 0282 controller.
My batteries will be 12S LiPo with 8000mAh and 30C, so there will be 240A available when needed.
Therefore I wonder what is the limits of this BAC 0282 48V 50A controller.
And I guess the MP motor also will have trouble when the power becomes to high.

I am going to buy a new MP kit, and wonder what will give me the least limitations for the lowest buck :-)

I am also considering a Turnigy Sentilon 100A ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4691 ) brushless controller, but I don't know if they will work very well with the MP motor ?
With a servo tester as a throttle. Saves a lot of space if possible, and gives a few options. They also have some ESC´s with current limiting, Turnigy Super brain....and USB/programming card options.

Suprted1
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 05:55:54 PM by suprted1 »
Suprted1

26" Rear MPII, 14/15S LiPo, but I need to fix several spokes after the first testride of 20-30Km. Topspeed 50kh/h 35-40 on flat road, I neeeeed more :):)

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 06:03:56 PM »
The external controller will give you 20amps roughly max, the internals nearer to 15-16 amps

suggestions would be any of the infineon controllers, quite apt to take your battery ampage, either ebikes.ca or edward lyens, either should do fine.....
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline suprted1

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 06:30:22 PM »
The external controller will give you 20amps roughly max, the internals nearer to 15-16 amps

And this external controller is the same as this one ?
http://www.goldenmotor.com/frame-controllers.htm ( BAC 0282, 48V/50A )
www.goldenmotor --> Motor controller and a little down
If so I don't understand these specs.

I thought I may use this BAC-0282 and feed the MP motor with amps until something drops dead (max50A).
It is a bit easier then to start modding the controllers.  (of course on my own risk)
But I also understand that there is only a shunt to be changed, and then you can push the regulator to the FET´s limits (and beyond,then dead), or until it gets too hot (and dead sa well).

This infineon 40A controller + shipping and taxes will be pretty expensive (probably 250USD+), and still a 40A limit.
Therefore I consider RC controllers.

A complete 100A regulator who handles 2-12S LiPo and programming equipment is 150USD all inclusive.(RC regulator)
But I don't know if anyone has tried regulators like these on a MP.

Suprted1
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:41:43 PM by suprted1 »
Suprted1

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 06:35:18 PM »
I am also considering a Turnigy Sentilon 100A ( http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4691 ) brushless controller, but I don't know if they will work very well with the MP motor ?

Perhaps you should have read some of the feedback it has received:

I'd give this esc 0 stars if I could. It's complete garbage ant a total waste of $100. It lasted for 4 flights on a 70" plane before it started to make the motor squeal. Played with the settings and it shot a spark out and fried. COMPLETE GARBAGE!!! Spend your hard earned money on something reliable...

First flight was withount any trouble, temperature was normal, I keeped my hand on the controller, but in second flight controller burned. I used it in Trex 700e and I configured it to high timing mode... ESC from hobbycity I will never buy...

Piece of crap put into a SAPAC T-45 with 5s 4000ma 40c turnigy battery, The Turnigy Sentilon 100a hv started smoking in about 7 seconds, I also purchased the programing card which never worked. Do have to say the turnigy batteries all 6 were great.

Perhaps it's not a good choice. ;)

Alan

Offline suprted1

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »
Hey Bikemad,

Yes I would check this before buying, but there is also a lot of good RC ESC´s that gets good credit.
And the size of them is pretty neat.
So, no exactly this one doesnt seem like a good choice.

But a ESC is just a simple motor controller, and should work fine with the MP motor, I think ?

Suprted1
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 06:54:19 PM by suprted1 »
Suprted1

Offline _GonZo_

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • www.evovelo.com
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 11:07:42 PM »
RC controllers are a bit different than bike controllers
They are made looking on the lightest and minimum materials, so many times they miss enough heat-sink and other things...
most of them are made for planes or helis where there is a big air flow or boats where they install a water cooling system, or cars and then they install a fan to cool it.
So that is something that you have to think

As well the rates are a bit different they are not prepared to support big peak currents, so if a RC ESC is rated for lets say 30A can not handle more than 40A peak and for very sort periods (less than a second) so no good for a land vehicle.

So if you plan to use a RC controller then if you are going to need lets say 30A continuous then buy it for 90A or more, same for voltage.

There is some RC ESC heavy duty like this ones:
http://www.rcmaterial.com/tienda/product_info.php?cPath=108_75&products_id=1734&language=en
http://www.rcmaterial.com/tienda/product_info.php?cPath=108_75&products_id=1735&language=en
But provably price is about the same as the bike ones.

Offline suprted1

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 09:12:39 AM »
They also lack of support for hall-sensors, but as long as you start the bike by peddeling, I guess the "cogging" issue will be gone.
I thought the HV Turnigy super brain looked good, with usb support for programming, data logging, 100A max 120A peak, 4-12S LiPo, Current limiting by programming, and timing. There will not be any need of any more then 30-60A peak at the MP anyway.
Suprted1

Offline _GonZo_

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • www.evovelo.com
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 10:59:17 PM »
The programation of the RC ESC do not support current limiting settings as they do not have any type of power meter inside like a shunt or so... That is one of the reasons why they blow up so easily if not well calculated for the use.

If you go on that RC ESC model I recommend you to increase the heat-sink.
Let the timing on automatic.

The motors installed on a ground vehicle like the MP have peak currents very very high at starts, for a very short of period of times, actually they are not visible on a normal amp meter like the cycle analyst, only on oscilloscopes, and those high peaks are the ones that burn out the RC controllers.

Offline suprted1

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 11:06:43 PM »
Gonzo ;-)

Programmable settings;
Startup (Default Standard/Soft/hard)
Low Voltage cutoff (Default 12.0/15.0/18.0/21.0/24.0/27.0/30.0/33.0/36.0V)
Current limiting (Default Standard/Very sensitive/Insensitivity/Disabled)
Brake (Default None/Soft/Hard)
PWM rate (8/12/16 KHz)
Timing (Default Auto/Low/Middle/High)
Cutoff type (Default Hard/Soft)
Governor mode (Default Auto/Low/High)

There is some current limiting here, I don't know how accurate.
And I don't think there will be peaks above 120A with some reasonable use.

I will try the internal regulator, with some shunt mod, if there isnt enough power with 14S lipo batteries.
And of course a RC controller would like a nice piece of aluminium at a wented place :-)

If the original controller wont make me happy, I will try some RC controllers later, but they mainly stop at 12S lipo packages.And I don't know if the motor will limit the current at lower voltages (48 and below) with this kind of regulator (RC) ??
Suprted1

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 06:18:19 PM »

Go for the external controller motor and get the 40 amp infineon from ebikes.ca. GM can delete the address if they want and I don't care about posting competitors details here, GM still are using their little 20 amp controllers which, in my opinion are useless, it's their fault they are not selling better quality higher power batteries and controllers when clearly there is hugh market for it! They could make profit instead of people buying from other companies!

Ebikes.ca have seriously reduced the regen of that controller because of some issues with batteries. They should have included a switch of some sort for different regen strengths. That is one good thing about GM's programmable controller.

Kelly controllers are good and are programmable, they are pricy but good!

The magic Pie is a seriously powerful motor for pulling or climbing steep hills, though at 40 amps + you will need really good C rated batteries like LiPo or A123 LiFeP04.

I'm waiting on hobbyking to get in new 8ah 6S zippy's.

I'm going to create a new thread on my new project, nothing GM lol so I hope they don't mind!  ;D 

Offline suprted1

• Confirmed
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 02:00:56 AM »
Hello Scorpio, I am waiting for 6 packs of 5S 8Ah Zippys :):):) Building 2 packs with 14/15 cells.
The cell price for 5S/6S was exactly the same, so I didnt want to wait for the 6S battery.
And I got a used Nakamura Summit bike for my project, which seems very good. Hydraulic disc brakes, and a sweet ride at the price.
I am considering modifying the GM internal or external controller, I bought both, because the price is nice. If no success, I will have to find another controller. Is there any detailed info on internal/external controller mods?
Suprted1

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 09:16:37 AM »
Hello Scorpio, I am waiting for 6 packs of 5S 8Ah Zippys :):):) Building 2 packs with 14/15 cells.
The cell price for 5S/6S was exactly the same, so I didnt want to wait for the 6S battery.
And I got a used Nakamura Summit bike for my project, which seems very good. Hydraulic disc brakes, and a sweet ride at the price.
I am considering modifying the GM internal or external controller, I bought both, because the price is nice. If no success, I will have to find another controller. Is there any detailed info on internal/external controller mods?

HAHA Seems we'll all be waiting a long time for these zippy's they have been out of stock for ages!

Seriously though I would not even bother to mod the Magic Pie controller, (internal or external) they work fine at their rated limits of around 15 amps internal and 20 amps external. I guarantee you you will burn it!

Check out the much more powerful pie now thread, endless info there! 

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »
Check out the much more powerful pie now thread, endless info there! 

Dude that thread kinda had the shizen bumped out of it lol

I think the first 10 pages are relevant. I think we should re-visit that topic :D