Author Topic: Andrew's 'Best to Ask' Thread. - Dual Mini 'Sprint' Bike Build  (Read 11753 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Andrew's 'Best to Ask' Thread. - Dual Mini 'Sprint' Bike Build
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 12:48:28 AM »
Nice Job Andrew! I am also interested in how well this works. Mine is wired up like your first diagram.

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Alarm function
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 10:47:55 AM »

otherwise the alarm feature won't work..

Is the ignition key now wired correctly?

Yup sure is. Lol why isn't anyone confident with anything I say? haha

see attached

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 03:32:52 PM »
Hi Alan, hope you and your family have had a cracking weekend! :)

We did have a fantastic weekend and were very fortunate to have such lovely weather for the photos, but I expect we're all squinting because it was so very sunny. ;D

I don't have to pull any connectors apart once fitted inside my frame bag (perhaps I should have mentioned that :D).

It might be advisable to disconnect your power cable from your frame bag when not being used, as there may still be a slight current drain on the pack while it is connected to the two controllers, even with the key switch turned off.

Alan

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 04:36:57 PM »
ok, thanks Alan,  that should not be a problem. :)

All the soldering and wiring is done. Both wheels/motors are now in place, all that's left to do is plug everything into the controllers and to locate the wires neatly.  I have not fired it up as yet, so I hope it's not all in vain. 

At present i've had to wire up one motor which has a sticker saying it's 36v and another saying it's a 24v. Both controllers are set to 36v  6amp continuous and 9amp peak.   

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 06:56:28 PM »

see attached

Well, the bike is now running both motors ;D.   the only problem is  the ignition switch when off only turns off the rear motor and not the front >:(   In the off position the throttle lights still lights up red??

Do I really need to have the thin red "power switch" wires connected. I really have no need for an alarm and never had any need for one.  Am I going to have to rewire the Andersons back to how I first had it?

Also is it possible to have the ignition wired so I don't need to unplug the Andersoins as well. It seems a bit pointless having and ignition key if I have to unplug the connectors too??
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 07:07:27 PM by Andrew »

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 08:03:25 PM »
Hi buddy

depends on the rating of your switch I guess...

If it was me, id go with the original wiring.....off means off, but if your ignition switch isnt rated high enough, then the on off will eventually burn it out....

My guess is that you are only going to use the minimotor bike for the weekend etc, so I think that the original wiring is probably the best, so you have no worries or concerns once you cut that switch

You have the pie for the day to day cycling...so overuse is not going to be the problem I think

does anyone have any negative stories on the controller burning out on lack of precharge connection ?

regards
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2011, 08:05:40 AM »

see attached

Well, the bike is now running both motors ;D.   the only problem is  the ignition switch when off only turns off the rear motor and not the front >:(   In the off position the throttle lights still lights up red??

Do I really need to have the thin red "power switch" wires connected. I really have no need for an alarm and never had any need for one.  Am I going to have to rewire the Andersons back to how I first had it?

Also is it possible to have the ignition wired so I don't need to unplug the Andersoins as well. It seems a bit pointless having and ignition key if I have to unplug the connectors too??

I've had the same problem with one of my magic controllers (36v V2)..
The 'G' wire had no effect on "turning off" the controller.
I suspect, by mistake (or on purpose), they soldered the 'g' wire connection to the main power line INSIDE the controller.
I wanted to use it for setting the alarm function, but alas, couldn't.
Can you tell me on which controller (is it a new one or one of the "earlier" type?) that the 'G' wire is "working"? And if it is working, does it set the alarm when switched "off"?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:45:52 PM by spellchecker »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2011, 11:00:36 AM »
there seems to be no alarm on my controllers. both controller were purchased two week ago so I guess they are the newer ones. I've rewired today and have left out the ignition key as it was taking up space and I lost patience with rewiring it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:46:30 PM by spellchecker »