Author Topic: hi, all, and where do you put it  (Read 8051 times)

Offline wattsup

• Confirmed
hi, all, and where do you put it
« on: April 16, 2011, 05:37:47 PM »
hi,newbie here. i,m in uk and seriously thinking of modding my carrera kraken mountain bike to front drive lecky. my chosen motor is 1000w 48v mp. I know mr policeman might frown on that, but its for offroad use only LOL!! I already have a rack the battery can sit on, but where do you think, is the best place for the controller.
read twice,write once.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: hi, all, and where do you put it
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 06:57:13 PM »
the 1000w 48v mp has an build in controller so no mounts needed. Just the battery, throttle, cruise (maybe) and brake levers should be placed correctly. If the mp you're referring actually means Magic Pie ofcourse

Offline wattsup

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:43:28 PM »
take a look at gm website under e bike diy and you will see they do an external controller also
read twice,write once.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 11:54:16 AM »
place it under the seat, on the seatpost or look up some pictures in the gallary so you can get an general idea of where others placed it

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 07:08:52 PM »
hi,newbie here. i,m in uk and seriously thinking of modding my carrera kraken mountain bike to front drive lecky. my chosen motor is 1000w 48v mp. I know mr policeman might frown on that, but its for offroad use only LOL!! I already have a rack the battery can sit on, but where do you think, is the best place for the controller.

I would not do it on the front on a carerra kraken mountain bike, I have the same one, did you get it from halfords? is it the hard tail? has it the hydraulic brakes?

The front shocks will not take the torque, especially if you get an external controller, and you will not be able to use a torque arm on those shocks that I can see!

If you go with the rear wheel option those rear dropouts are awkward as hell to find decent torque arms for!

I believe the U.K Police are far more strict to E-bikes than they are here in Ireland!

As for the controller, the external GM controllers are hard to mount and I recommend an infineon controller 40 amps, though that has serious power and your batteries had better be able for it and your torque arms.

The torque of that motor will shread dropouts on that kraken, again good torque arms essential!

Offline wattsup

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 08:25:55 PM »
hi, thanks for your thoughts. i,ve had a complete change of direction since my post. i,m now 3/4 into the conversion of my dawes galaxy, road bike and although challenging, its been enjoyable so far, as I relish challenges. motor is 1000w 48v majic pie in rear wheel with external controller, mounted on seat post. battery is mounted in an ali tray, using the bottle cage mounts. I changed my mind about the kraken, which was bought from halfords about 7 years ago, because my wife and I often put the bikes on the car to cycle in bournemouth and new forest etc. I will use the dawes purely as a play thing and when finished i,ll post pictures and more details.
read twice,write once.