Author Topic: Monkeys bike with 'tassles'  (Read 38093 times)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Monkeys bike with 'tassles'
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 04:53:53 PM »
more installed....

My camera makes good note of bad spots lol, it looks much better in person - I'll get some pics of it outside once I get some more wiring done. :D

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 04:55:41 PM »
And I think I'm one of very few who own limited edition black GM 48v12Ah battery with under frame mount..

I will give everyone a sneak peak hehe

Offline rollin76

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 05:22:31 PM »
Hi MM Your bike is looking real good.I like the way you mounted you battery.Does it make bike handle better with batt down low like that?I was thinking of building a bike like yours but with mid drive set up.It looks like you got a cyclone freewheel crank on your bike.have you tried mid drive? Nice work

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 06:21:02 PM »
Hey thanks man

I'm yet to test this with the battery mounted underneath, I've only had it on top - when I changed it from a rear bracket to mid-frame it was one of the best choices I made. So there was no consideration of running the second battery on a seatpost mount (its not possible anyway, as it's a 'layback' angled seatpost)

I'm sure it handles tops though !!

And good eyes ;) Hehe yes I am running a freewheel crank, it has the wider width and there is space for the cyclone 1200W motor sitting on a shelf at the moment... It's so tempting lol

Without this crank (or the axle width should I say) the GM battery would have clearance issues. So that was another spot of luck. Plus they look much better than the original cranks.

So I'm just about finished writing a small program for a auto-gear change derailleur, I can see myself still putting the cyclone motor on, or even the small bldc motor GM are about to release for super acceleration
I've had a couple of chain drive builds but not with brushless motors, so we will see what happens.

The cyclone 1200w still fits in 2 places, I can modify the crank sprockets (swap them) for high end speed or faster acceleration. If I do  it, the cyclone will kick in at 10km/h and stop at around 60km/h which I feel is peak for the 20" wheel without ruining my controllers. If I had bigger wheels, the chain drive + hub motors would definitely not be a good idea.

The only thing stopping me is the risk of ruining both of my internal controllers after finishing this long build!!!

Hopefully I'll get the front wired up tomorrow. It's becoming very 'eye' consuming :D

Offline rollin76

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 07:08:43 PM »
I picked this up for 100.Next project.Want to build 1000w brushless mid drive with 20" wheels.My 48v 20ah batt fits perfect on cross bar.Would be crazy 2 pies and mid drive.

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 03:45:04 AM »
Lol I just posted the same thing in the other topic :D
Is that a steel frame? The front fork tubing looks big enough.

If you are thinking about changing the wheel size, try and find the same size wheel on a junk bike (old BMX for 20") then remove your rear shock and measure the size you need to bring your pedal height back to a safe height.

It also looks like if you kept the same wheel size, a battery would fit on a rack on the underside of the frame too....

Will be good to see what you end up doing with this :D

Offline rollin76

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 04:28:49 AM »
Hi mm The frame is aluminum.these shocks on this bike don't have normal drop outs.forks take solid axle no threads like dirt bike.I don't know if I would trust having 20" pie on front with these forks.Would be ok for mid drive.Currentlly working on set of big steel triple clamp shocks.Cut drop outs off and made new ones out of 1/4 steel with disk brake and torque arm mounting points.Will center wheel when welding drop outs back on.I am curious to see how you like having your battery on underside of frame.The rear shock on this bike is an air shock and it is half compressed in this pic.Bike has 14" ground to crank with no tire on front.Will have to get some 20" wheels and see how it looks.That is a big rear shock you got there.What kind and how much if you don't mind me asking?do you do much offroading with your bike?Sorry to pollute your post with pic of my beast lol. Rollin

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 04:50:03 AM »
Hey man no worries lol 'polluting' haha not at all.
Maybe this thread will spawn some modified small wheel builds, and possibly mid-drives too

The shock is a Manitou Swinger (4Way) I picked up on ebay for around $80 they are not cheap.... All of the measurements are earlier in this topic. It was a hard choice to make since the bike only cost $150 new haha

Sole reason for buying it was to increase my pedal height, but it's made the whole suspension amazing. I'll get some video happening hopefully this weekend after I finish wiring the control box

Try to stick with wheels the same size, I tried running small on the rear with bigger on front and its not fun to ride at all. In fact I stacked pretty badly with rear cast 20" and front 24", going around a corner on a trail track the front wheel lifted slightly and a moment later I shot over the handlebars. I had to sit on a bench seat like an old man for about an hour after that youch lol

Offline rollin76

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 06:21:55 AM »
Funny I was just on e bay looking at shocks when you posted this.Things are not cheap!there are shocks on there that cost more than my gm kit!not including batt.Mid drive or Magic Pie.I have been looking at 4.25 tire rear off schwinn stingray chopper.Would look awesome with these tires front and back on your bike.Would take some major work to get them to fit but would be worth it in the end.Sorry I was day dreaming there for a second lol.crank to ground fully compressed 10 1/2" with 4" pedel to ground. 3 1/2" susp travel.rear susp has indipendent link setup that I could easily mod susp height so I think I should be good for ground clearance with 20" wheel.I don't know if you can see in pic black circle behind crank?This is where I would like to put motor.Motor runs jalckshaft/3speed hub to left side back wheel sprocket that doubles as disk brake rotor.Keeping e drive seperate from pedels.Might add to much weight.I havent even rode an e bike before and I have all these plans...I think im an e bike addict lol.I think Im thinking to much lol.Been over the bars a few times I hear you there.Not cool at all.lmao.Not at you.hehehe.Thanks for the advice.Looking forward to video.rollin

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 01:47:22 PM »
Things are not cheap!

If you let me know what size you need I have some I could maybe sell ya pretty cheap.

I have been looking at 4.25 tire rear off schwinn stingray chopper.
Would look awesome with these tires front and back on your bike.

Lol did you not SEE my rear tyre? ??? lucky you were dreaming haha but no. These tyres I have would still be better than those chopper ones anyday rain or shine  8)

Plus imagine how much I would have to space out the rear frame@1! lol its not a drag bike

I don't know if you can see in pic black circle behind crank?This is where I would like to put motor

You could do your left drive setup with the 500w model or maybe the 650w any bigger and you will definitely have to change the crank axle to a bigger one. If you already have your Magic Pie bike then it would be cool to build a chain drive alternative. I just love the sound of electric chain drive changing gears lol

I hope the peak currents don't start killing the GM cruise controllers though... :S

Offline rollin76

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 08:44:25 PM »
Hi mm THank you for your offer.I think I will have enough clearance with this shock just not sure how it will perform.I have 3 1/2" susp travel .I need to find some 20" wheels.My nefew may have to donate one of his bnx bikes for science lol.Your bike could be drag bike if you run 2 pie and mid drive lol.I have cannondale with no susp that my front pie is on now, just waiting for my batt to show up which should be soon.Those 4.25 may look good but I don't think would handle to well.I will probably find something similar to your tires.I would like to get this done before summer.Im slowly collecting all the parts I need.Im pretty sure Gary said new gm bldc motors will be avalible in May sometime..Good timing.I have been looking for any info on mid drive,getting ideas.stokemonkey.you must of heard of this bike.mid drive hub motor.I like it.Thanks again for the offer MM. Rollin

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
Hi Monkey,

Wow that is a really cool build you got there  ;D

You are crazy, a cyclone and 2 pies. We want Monkey alive!

I love the camera, very nice touch!

That really took a lot of work and you should be very proud!  :)

I am motor less now for a while at least. I said goodbye to my pie setup I need to exercise more and the weight and drag of a Pie motor and a 10 kg ping was too much, but I really had fun on it!

The goal now is light for peddling, 8 amp 44 volt Lipo 2 kgs. Nice boost for hills and those LiPos kick out serious power, over 100 amps constant from an  8 amp pack! Everyone should consider LiPo!

Anyway Monkey super build and can't wait for a video!  ;D

Mark

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 02:21:06 PM »
Anyway Monkey super build and can't wait for a video!  ;D

Mark

Hey champ, cheers mate I'm still pluggin' away!

Good to see ya around bloke, I must say I had to laugh a little as I ride my ebike pretty much for the complete opposite reasons as you ;) I'm 6'2 and like 75kg I should be 85kg so I even eat riding my bike LOL

We should swap! You could say I ride my bike to get fatter ;) What's news with you?

I'll post some more pics up - my luck is halarious, after loosing my camera charger I did it again but I just charged the battery on a LiPo charger but now my usb card reader somehow doesn't read sdhc anymore only <16FAT haha so I can't post my pics up for a tad but yeah I've done a shizen load of work on it and finally stopped adding stuff I think I had the same accessory flu Gary was suffering from for a while LOL

>Edit< I will add and say that I am passing on the cyclone motor idea for a while, I can still fit it in front of the rear wheel which is probably better postioned, but I'm building a subwoofer into the middle of my frame now instead haha this is my current work. I decided since I've never had sound on my bike I'll dig around for some parts I had so I put a 2x5W mp3 player I've put in a customised handlebar dash connects a passive line level converter I made to a 35wx3 amp that powers speakers behind my dash and the sub in the middle of my frame built into the fairings I have going on there. I'll get some pics happening this post was going stale lol

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 02:36:34 PM by MonkeyMagic »

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2011, 04:22:30 PM »
Hi Monkey,

Hey that's not fair,  :'(

I used to weigh about the same about 4 years ago, eating too much crap in between meals, and drinking too much beer made me fat!!! Now the beer and crap is gone, and the occasional glass of red wine. I'm 5`8 and 102 kgs, down from 115 6 weeks ago, so hopefully I get back to around 70-75 kgs. It will take time, but so did putting it there! So it's pain up hills for a while, until I get my new kit which won't be for a few weeks anyway. So as I said, it's going to be as light as possible this time around!

A subwoofer in your frame?  ::) only you monkey, only you!  ;D

You are a crazy guy for sure, but at least you passed on the cyclone for now, we like to have you here a little while longer, or at least until you blow yourself up!!!  ;D  ;)

Mark

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 04:32:54 AM »

I've done a shizen load of work on it and finally stopped adding stuff I think I had the same accessory flu Gary was suffering from for a while LOL

The compulsive need to add accessories is to hard to fight off sometimes. Alan suggested I add a torque arm to my CCM build so I added one, the I thought might as well add another, Then I though well why not two on the rear! :D

Earlier today I found myself surfing for one of those gps watches again. Good thing I couldnt remember what they were called.. ;)

I have also been toying with the rear view camera idea. I have one on the Van that is never used, the LCD screen is actually in the glovebox. It would be great to just view an LCD screen on the handle bars rather then looking back. I wounder how well the LCD would work in the bright sunlight. It is 12 volts though, so I guess I would need a DC to Dc converter to bring 48volts down to 12.

Gary