Author Topic: Andrew's Dual Drive Magic Pie Project  (Read 36963 times)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Andrew's Dual Drive Magic Pie Project
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:06:11 PM »
Hey Andrew whats the status on the dual action???

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Re: Andrew's Dual Drive Magic Pie Project
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 04:30:33 PM »
I've got the Anderson connector. I have been out today and bought a cheap pencil torch lamp. All I need now is some butane gas(lighter refill can)  and some solder.  I managed to take the terminals out of the original pie Battery anderson plugs.

I cannot get the whole thing runnig yet as I am still waiting for a wheel rim replacement from china. i've tracked it today to my local post depot, and it lokks like arriving Monday. I will then get it to a bike shop to have it relaced.   

Tomorrow is looking like the soldering day for connecting the battery leads together on to the terminals and then fitting the Anderson connector.

I will then refit the respoked wheel during the week and then look at joining the throttle wires on the two harnesses/connectors

Should I leave both pies on 24 volt if runnig on the one battery?

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 05:51:02 PM »
Howdy

You should post a topic 'Andrews Dual Drive' and then we can move the info there ;)
Cool so you are nearly full smiles ahead...

When you pick up your solder, check the price on a entry level 60/80W soldering iron - it may come in handy later anyways. It's worth it considering the coin you splashed out on those big tasty pies.

With the voltage, have both wheels set at the same voltage: or you may get some erratic throttle behaviour. Personally mine performs better on 48v. Still not sure if this is confirmed. Remember if you set them to 24V you have to make sure you monitor the battery well. The BMS in your battery has a low voltage cut-out, and will save it from running dead - but you really don't want to juice your battery out often at all. For best surprise results = set them both to 48V, ride then set to 24V and you would notice the difference if there is one ;)

So you have 2 GM power cables with Anderson connectors, + 1 anderson connector?

Lol I'm not trying to complicate anything, but if you have a rear battery + dual drive then one of your power cables is going to want to go down, and the other straight (toward the front) I had them joined when my battery was on the rear and it was a pain sometimes with the stress on the connector.

Anyways, have a think about this pic if you just remove the GM Anderson connector housing (like you already have) then you can splice the wires, solder your other power cable to the splice and slide heatshrink down to set it, then just click the GM anderson connector back on. Then you can customise the length and keep your connector you bought as a spare

Peace out
MM

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 09:35:48 PM »
I am in the process of combining two Magic Pie motor wheels to run off a single GM 48v motor -(I mean battery!!). :D

As there have been some on going questions from myself, all of which have been answered in various places on the forum, I thought best (or Monkey Magic thought best) that I start up a thread to track the progress.

For those who don't know, I have no previous knowledge of e-bikes, kits, electronics, soldering, or batteries, or anything involving electricity! :-\

I have needed lots of guidance so far just to get to the point of preparing two Magic Pie battery cables ready for connecting to one GM 48v battery.

Here's where I stand at present, and to answer monkey's last question about difficulties combining rear cable with front cable and easily being able to disconnect,, here's the answer.........
below you can see that i've 'looped' the rear battery cable to help easy disconnection. With the front cable coming along the bikes top frame tube I will still be able to pull out the connector from the battery without it being arkward or causing stress on the cables. I may also loop the front cable to the rear,, wait and see.

In short, I need to shorten the front pie battery cable so it is the correct length to meet the rear pie battery connector.

I have a new ‘Anderson 50amp’ battery connector(same as already on the pie cable) so I can solder both battery cables to the terminals of this new connector. With this done I will be able to power up both front and rear pies with the one 48v GM battery.

So far I have purchased a pencil soldering torch for £4.00GBP to heat up the terminals ready to solder as in this video supplied by forum member Dirtyginge..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph7h6rYZnVI&feature=related   .... this is the exact process I will use, although on a smaller scale.

Andrew :)

P.S   Sorry for any errors, i'vre had a few ciders. I will modify after a good nights shut eye :D

(10 hours later) -you will be glad to know that i'm now sober and can see straight again ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:43:52 AM by Andrew »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 06:53:30 AM »
I am in the process of combining two Magic Pie motor wheels to run off a single GM 48v motor.

P.S   Sorry for any errors, i'vre had a few ciders. I will modify after a good nights shut eye :D

hehe yeah change that part cider man

Looking good!! You're 1 step away

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 01:12:06 PM »
Ok, done the soldering with success, i.e joining the two battery cables to one battery connector. the cables have been cut to size perfectly, I have even manged to get the two cables to fit through the rubber connector cover so no heat shrink plastic needed to cover wires and mess.

i will try and get photos up soon but my camera is in work. I'll see if my other half will let me use her camera phone

now to do the throttle wire and connectors.  I'm assuming and hoping that I can just twist the wire together (white to white and black to black) and then just crimp on the tiny connectors????

Help Please! :-\

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 01:25:10 PM »
Hey yeah I think you just need reassurance ;)

Correct - you have seen the wiring pics. Crimp if you like, but remember it is going to be somewhat permenant. So you have solder, just solder them and use electrical tape. Because you have the bag to put all the cables in you may as well solder it in there and save on some crimp connectors.

You have already successfully pulled apart an anderson connector, so if you really want to keep everything 'plug & play' a similiar method applies to take apart the GM quick connectors. Mine were not soldered so I could bend the tangs apart and put extra wires in there. That way you don't solder, create extra wire mass with tape/heatshrink etc. and keep all the connectors in your bag.

Just file an end of a paperclip flat, or if you have a jewellers small screw driver then on the bottom of each quick disconnect plug/socket you will see the metal tang lips that sit near flush with the connector housing. Push down on this with your tool while gently pulling the wire from behind to remove it.

Then use needle pliers to pull apart the metal wire holder and place your extra cables in the plugs/sockets you need.

Then to make it stronger (so it doesnt fall out for some reason) solder them too before clicking back into the small connectors.

So you can keep 1 of your accessory harness complete, then remove all the plugs/sockets off the other and keep them as spare.

I recommend drinking less cider while doing any work to your bike lol

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 01:38:53 PM »
thanks for the tips. I will see how I get on with combining the throttle wires to the tiny terminals I have spare.

and yes, I had one two many apples last night :D, but I did get a few moments of clarity while planning the Pie modifications

i will post up later if a get a chance today to fiddle with the harness nest of wires.

Cheers
Andrew

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 06:13:39 PM »
Ok, done the soldering with success, i.e joining the two battery cables to one battery connector. the cables have been cut to size perfectly, I have even manged to get the two cables to fit through the rubber connector cover so no heat shrink plastic needed to cover wires and mess.

i will try and get photos up soon but my camera is in work. I'll see if my other half will let me use her camera phone

now to do the throttle wire and connectors.  I'm assuming and hoping that I can just twist the wire together (white to white and black to black) and then just crimp on the tiny connectors????

Yes it’s that simple, I just stripped the skin back off the white and black throttle wires about a 1/2 inch. Then I twisted the new white and black wires in from the second motor. I put the bike on the double stand on a block of wood. Turned it on and tested to see if both wheels spun a bit without the wheels touching the floor. It worked. I added black tape temporarily to road test bike.  Then I Blasted all around the neighborhood with a big smile on my face testing the power.  It was wonderful! Then I split the brake cables, tested, split the cruise, tested. Then since I have all the plugs I made a 3 sets of  “Y” plugs for splitting everything  so I could just plug it all together. This was time consuming but was nice. It ended up being a waste of time though. One day I had to trouble shoot why it wouldn’t go and ended up pulling it all apart out on the road to twist thing s together. Then I  just soldered  it all anyway when I got home.

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2011, 06:59:10 PM »

Yes it’s that simple, I just stripped the skin back off the white and black throttle wires about a 1/2 inch. Then I twisted the new white and black wires in from the second motor. I put the bike on the double stand on a block of wood. Turned it on and tested to see if both wheels spun a bit without the wheels touching the floor. It worked. I added black tape temporarily to road test bike.  Then I Blasted all around the neighborhood with a big smile on my face testing the power.  It was wonderful! Then I split the brake cables, tested, split the cruise, tested. Then since I have all the plugs I made a 3 sets of  “Y” plugs for splitting everything  so I could just plug it all together. This was time consuming but was nice. It ended up being a waste of time though. One day I had to trouble shoot why it wouldn’t go and ended up pulling it all apart out on the road to twist thing s together. Then I  just soldered  it all anyway when I got home.

Gary

Gary,  i've just spent hours trying desperately to crimp the tiny terminals in order to keep the connectors. it has been a nightmare!.  once crimped it was really difficult 'snaping' them into place in the tiny black connector. I eventually found that a tiny flat head screwdriver helped to push the terminals to the end of the black connector.

I'm sorry for the poor quality photos but can members please check that i've wired the throttle properly.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2011, 10:24:23 PM »
Hi Andrew

Yes it does look correct. Nice job on the battery cable plug as well! You should be able to fire it up for a test to see both wheels spin.

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2011, 10:45:23 PM »
i will hopefully try to fire it up once I find something that will elevate both wheels off the ground whilst keeping the bike steady.   I think I will do away with cruise control  as I have the regen braking on the green horn button at present because I have hydraulic brakes fitted.  I will probably use the red button for regen instead of cruise. But to be honest I would like to do away with regen braking too, but even my hydra' brakes are not that good!!  i'm sure that once two motors are running I will be thankful for some motor braking! :)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 07:01:14 AM »
Hey mate

With your wiring harness in the bag there, if you have a momentary switch laying around, just hook that upto your harness and mount the cruise button under your seat

Then when you go for long rides, just pretend to 're-adjust' your cider spout and enable cruise!

Lol then you can regen and horn to your hearts content

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 07:20:12 AM »
"The Ciderholic"  :D :D

Cheeky monkey! ;D

Cruising the the kerbside fiddling with my saddle bag with the Horn!;  it all sounds so wrong :D  

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 12:42:13 PM »
Cheeky monkey! ;D

OK Andrew, I'll use your suggestion. ;)

I just hope MM thanks you for it.

Alan