Author Topic: M.P. Works Great...  (Read 3160 times)

Offline niceguysteve

• Confirmed
M.P. Works Great...
« on: November 21, 2010, 12:25:52 AM »
I got a Magic Pie from Gary Salo at GM.ca a month ago and have put some major mileage on it already which my job as a music teacher/musician requires.It runs great. The install was really straightforward.The (back) wheel was  really well dished and the 6 speed GM freewheel sat just where it had to be for my 8 speed shifters to work flawlessly with a quick adjustment to the limiter screws on the derrailler. I was able to use the existing V brake and with quite a bit of tweaking over the first week the wheel is reasonably true. I ride a converted tandem/cargo bike and  baby the back wheel over bumps to avoid it becoming oval . If I ride hard with large loads or over rough terrain I'd be pulling the spoke wrench out every few days so the next move will be to get a stronger wheel built and a disk brake. That said the stock GM wheel has so far exceeded my expectations . The motor itself seems to like large loads such as my son's goalie gear, and moves out almost more briskly. On steep ascents I provide lots of human power in a high cadence low gear way as I think the motor will last longer that way.   
 The labels on the controller wires made it easy for a not electrically knowledgeable  person such as myself. Only one of the two Regen brake levers worked so I hooked it up and put the other one in the bag with the controller.Yesterday the spring on the working lever snapped and more on that in a next post. As a jury rig I've connected the regenbrake it to the (horn) button beside the cruise button so as to have an interrupter switch .
  All in all so far I'm really impressed with the quality and improvements and mostly by the fact that it works ... I ride all winter and will keep posting .
      Magic Pie Really Rocks....Nice Guy Steve ....Toronto Canada

Offline T5T

• Confirmed
Re: M.P. Works Great...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 08:41:51 AM »
Hi Steve

This is "music" to my ears and especially Gary's ears, is happy for the positive experience you have, we all look forward to reading the continuation. ;D

T5T

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: M.P. Works Great...
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 12:37:21 PM »
Hi Steve

Thanks for the positive review. Send me an email to garysalo@goldenmotor.ca with your mailing address and Ill send you out a new set of brake levers.

Gary