Author Topic: Very pleased with the GM / MP  (Read 7587 times)

Offline T5T

• Confirmed
Very pleased with the GM / MP
« on: November 14, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »

Hello everyone

Want to share my experiences with my MP.
bought the engine from GM in May 2010, built the wheel in September, tested the bike in October.

Engine: MP in the rear 28 "wheel
Battery: 48V 12 Amp GM in aluminum box. (Impressive power from this battery)

Continuous set value: 30A
Peak set value: 50A
Regen set value: 60%

Order problems: not at all (many thanks to Tom)

Experiences after test: go well in the hills and I mean very steep slopes, low enough noise from the engine - So I'm very happy with this kit.

What could be improved by MP: not as sharp edges in the shaft, so that the cable is not damaged, the main power connectors to the battery must be 90 degrees so that it does not take as much space and not easy to damage.

The USB cable that you can buy to program the controller should have an adapter so that it is suitable for both external and internal controller with the same cable.

washers are provided to attach the wheel should be more serrated, so it has difficulty called for turning out, possibly could be the one disc as part of a torqarm (supplied with engine).

Some of these desired improvements have been noted previously in other posts here on the forum. 

I`am very impressed with the passion you all have for electric bicycle, let it be so in future too  ;D

Sincerely,
T5T

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Very pleased with the GM / MP
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 10:56:44 AM »
Nice Review T5T!

I am very curious about the 28 in wheel. What top speed can you go? I know with one 26 inch Magic pie I was getting around 38kph. Now with two pies I get around 40kph. The difference between 26 inch and 28 inch doesn't sound like much, but when you stand the wheels beside each other the 28 inch looks huge!

Gary

Offline T5T

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 05:41:53 PM »
Gary
I have unfortunately not been tested top speed - the plan is to test with the GPS next trip.
The first test ride was a trip that mostly goes in mountainous terrain in Norway (from sea level to 400 meters above sea level), it was not suited to the speed tests in such area.
(The battery I use is gm Battery 48V 12Amp LiMn)
 and 1X75 X 2.00 "tires no knobs

I personally prefer mainly 28 "wheel size because of the" rolling distance, "of course it depends on how the bike will be used.
When the torque decreases with larger wheels - I keep the focus more and more on reducing the weight of the bike and equipment.

5 years ago, I imported from China five sets of 250Watt engine - and used the SLA batteries, it was so disappointing (heavy, short driving distance, little effect in the engine), that I gave up then - so I'm happy that my interest is is back, with better batteries and more powerful engine - and not to forget this great forum  ;D

Sincerely,
T5T
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 12:42:15 AM by Bikemad »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 05:49:53 PM »
T5T hey awesome review!!!

I really like your point about the right angled power connector, my thoughts exactly!!

But I think its the type of plug, to make it right angled you would have to drill cable holes through the plug casing, then bend the connector lugs 90deg. This is what I will be doing I think....Unless anyone has found right angled anderson connectors?

If you bend the power cable underneath itself too much like I have, the lug holder will break away so now my negative lug inside moves around....

good work mate

Offline T5T

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 10:25:57 PM »

Thanks for good advice MonkeyMagic.

Sincerely,
T5T

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 12:15:43 AM »
No worries :)

I just did it then, it was very easy !!

To remove the connector from the lugs, just use a flat head screw driver or knife etc. and push down on the silver clip that sits underneath the big copper lug you want to remove. Whilst pushing down on the silver clip, pull gently on the wire at the back until you hear it click and release.

Do that for both sides and the connector will come free. You can then put 2 small holes on the flat rear part of the connector (which is the bottom side when plugged in) There is a lot of room, and the wires are only 12AWG so you can bend them up into the hole, back into the silver clip. You won't even need to cut and solder.

I wish I did this ages ago !!! Sorry the camera wasn't handy for some pics. It's so much neater now and is actually easier to plug in too by grabbing the hole plug ;)

Thanks for the idea T5T !!

hehe