Author Topic: Modify a Magic Controller Ver. 1  (Read 24240 times)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Modify a Magic Controller Ver. 1
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 01:41:46 PM »
I am thinking of adding a battery to have a total of 60 V.  Top speed isn't going to change using a non geared hub motor, so the only way to decrease travel time is to keep a higher constant speed (climb the hills faster). Anyone here tried higher voltage packs on these stock motors?  Will it increase top speed?

Dave, increasing the voltage from 48 to 60 will definitely increase the speed, probably by around 10-15%. As long as your controller can handle a 60V pack (which can be over 70V straight off the charger) you should not have a problem increasing the voltage, but keep an eye on the temperature of the motor as it will get hotter under load at lower speeds due to the additional 400+ Watts of power going into the windings.

I would expect your speed to increase to nearer 37km/hr, but it would be nice know what the actual top speed is when you've tested it.

Alan

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 02:50:32 PM »
Alan I sometimes wonder what frequency the oscillator ticks away at in your head!
Great expectation. I can second this as 54V on the 16" will yield 35-39Km/h max so your numbers are probably perfect ;)

A few video's I've seen with modified 18" and 16" cast wheels is that apparently the rpm winding is higher due to the wheel circumference? Can anyone confirm this?

I have a 72V controller to test with the 16" cast on a modified push scooter. I'm thinking of going dual drive 16" scooter for crazyness but we will see how the rear wheel goes with 72v first ;)

Definitely agree the wheel wants if not needs more volts to get speed. And the 16" will eat any hill its ridiculous

yay

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 03:51:14 PM »
Alan I sometimes wonder what frequency the oscillator ticks away at in your head!

I'm unable to give a precise details MM, because the very thought of gaining direct access to measure the exact speed makes me shudder! :o

I reckon it spends a good deal of its time ticking away at more than 8Hz:

A few video's I've seen with modified 18" and 16" cast wheels is that apparently the rpm winding is higher due to the wheel circumference? Can anyone confirm this?

The 16" Pie is apparently wound differently to make it run faster:

You might find it strange, however the 16" is made to hit that speed. The windings are different, lower torque but higher speed. Go check out the Tq figs for the 16" and you shall understand!

Alan

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 10:07:48 PM »
110v MP has already been done and it went 80kph I think.

So whats that, just a tiny bit over double the speed than at 52v.  Like my rocket science version? :D

Yeahhh do it.  

I love the Volt Aamp watt relation at high volts.  Like when your motor is pulling 20 amps every 12v increase equates 240 watt gains.

When you get the high voltage motor say at 76v one only needs to increase the current input by 3.1 amps to gain 240 watts.

Bring it on