Author Topic: I have been sent a MP Kit with 3 inch tear on rim(Update with Pictures)  (Read 9445 times)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Re: I have been sent a MP Kit with 3 inch tear on rim(Update with Pictures)
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 03:49:42 PM »
Have since had more time to speak to Da Vinci mobility and they are trying to see if they can supply me a new rim and GM send them a replacement instead of me.  I should find out tomorrow. Otherwise it's £40.00 for the new rim :'(

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 03:58:56 PM »
Maybe I was being presumptuous when suggesting electrical tape.

Maybe plain old fashion sellotape first, try over step the width just a little and good lots of layers.  I think it will have less flex.  Then a few rounds of electrical tape all the way around so it keeps persure around the bottom layers.  The MP rim I got had the wrong liner on it anyway.

you know it a bin+ respoking hubs espeically if you have to remove the old rim too.  If nyoure not carefull itz EZ to over use the spoke nipple threads. So hope you get some spares with any replacement rims.  Maye four or five spare spokes might just make sure you get it/  

Those ones should have a full liner, no holes and made of harder plastic. I feel that the soft rubber liners may bubble.

A thorn proof tube extra thick rubber inner tube is always good.  I think the one I got is 5X thicker.  Pluss a run of electrcal tape reinforces around the nipple holes.  No chance for the tube to bubble into the nipple holes..

I really am tempted to try this, but it does all sound a bit 'William Heath Robinson'.  I have an extra thick down hill MTB inner tube, but its the strength of the rim itself that comes into question, especially at high speed

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 05:54:28 PM »
Yes its just a very quick easy fix to get you on the road with as little headache as possible.  It would take 10 mins to try it.

Maybe if you did try it take it easy as the rim would be structurally impeded to a degree.

Good tires and good thick inner tube would go a long way to making it safe.

Bring it on

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 02:16:01 AM »

Andrew, you may find that the damaged portion of the rim will spread slightly wider than the rest of the rim when you inflate those big tyres, producing a tight spot on the brakes, causing uneven tyre wear each time you brake (unless you're using disc brakes). ;)

Alan

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 03:46:38 PM »
I have just been told by Da Vinci Mobility that they are willing to send out a Rim tomorrow to be arriving Monday  ;D  They will get a replacement from GM China  8)

I have told Tom at GM to cancel my shipment which he was happy to do. 

I love it when a plan comes together! 

Thanks Alan for instigating this plan, I owe you one!  ;D Cider's on me the next time I'm down in Devon (i think that where you said you were??)

Andrew

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 08:55:02 PM »
Now thats service! Im happy things are going well  ;D

Gary