Author Topic: *resolved* Loud knocking noise coming from Brand New MP - then dies (again)  (Read 78844 times)

Offline wings

Re: Loud knocking noise coming from Brand New MP - then dies
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2010, 02:33:18 PM »
This is my first post. I WAS getting quite fired up about the "Magic Pie". Whilst I applaud the openness of the discussion about poor Magzy's motor, I AM APPALLED at the way this tale of woe has unfolded and the way he has been treated. Surely he should have been offered a straight replacement unit since his was obviously not fit for purpose. To those who read this forum prior to purchase it will only have served to defer any likely buying until events like this do not occurr.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2010, 03:37:24 PM »
Magzy, You certainly have been very unlucky with your kit and I'm in total agreement with Leslie on this one. If a simple cure cannot be found, then I too feel that the wheel should be replaced under the warranty as the fault must be somewhere within the wheel if it's not crossed wires in the harness.

As I haven't seen the wiring on the external Pies, I don't know what connector are used, or what the chances are of a couple of wires being inadvertently crossed during the manufacturing process, but I guess it could be possible.
It could be easy to mix up the three separate ends of the windings, as these wires as they are plain copper wires without coloured sleeving.
The internal controller has short lengths of coloured sleeving on the ends to show which is which, but I presume that these wires on the external controller Pies are soldered directly to the three coloured phase wires which exit via the axle.

If the the colours for the phase wires or the hall sensors have somehow been mixed up somewhere between the stator and the controller, it should be possible to find the correct configuration by following Muzza's suggestions.

Did you by any chance take any close up photos of the wiring connections while the wheel was dismantled? as this might help to check if the hall sensor wires are in the correct sequence at he wheel end.

If you click the image to enlarge it, the colours of the hall sensor wires are more obvious.

I think your concerns about damaging the replacement are completely justified, and I personally would not want to use a motor that was making loud noises and was not running correctly!

If you try the different wire combinations suggested by Muzza and find no combination that works correctly, then Tom/GM will have to do something to rectify the fault!

A short video might be enough to convince Tom that there is definitely a fault with the running of the motor.

Please keep us informed of what happens.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:02:13 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2010, 04:13:09 PM »
Good on you Gary, doing this without feet and all. Highly impressed :)

This thread is very unnerving for myself,  as i've already had a manufacturing problem before i've even got my bike on the road, and am in a similar positon to Magzy as I have very little understanding of electrics and electronics.  i opted for golden motor due to it's user friendly kit package.  I have since wished I had stumped up the extra £200 and got it from Alien Ocean in the UK.

I agree with you Magzy, there could not be any worse publicity for the company and their product than leaving customers high and dry after paying out substantial amounts of money and giving out what seem at first glance to be duff gear.  To be fair, I have had great support from people on this forum and have had sufficient communication with Tom to get things sorted.
My pie kit arrived in the UK with a manufacturing fault on the wheel. How it was missed during production and when they spoked the wheel is completely and utterly beyond me. It makes me feel very wary of how well put together the rest of the kit is due to such a big tear in the wheel rim not being noticed or even worse, being over looked or ignored.

By the way, on a lighter note, the quote above made me laugh out loud!  :D :D :D

Andrew
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:51:09 PM by Andrew »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2010, 04:29:17 PM »
I also agree that this deserves a replacement. I have been trying to have one sent since he opened his motor. I have been in contact with Magzy in private email and have been giving him updates on my discussions with GM China. I must say one thing for sure about Magzy as he has been patient and a perfect gentlemen in private email and in the forum. honestly I don't now if I would be the same.

It seems GM China does not want to replace his motor. Instead they want to send me a bearing in an order already coming to me and then me ship it to Magzy to avoid any shipping costs. I told them this is not acceptable, why should he have to wait so long. I offerered Magzy a bearing from here from an out of the box failed pie, but he told me he will pick one up locally. I will refund him any cost for doing so.

I don't understand why a customer would receive a motor that has as many things wrong with it as this one and he is expected to do several repairs on it even though it is brand new. Also with no idea if this will resolve it. I am very frustratrated and Im sure they will not enjoy reading this. For me to ship a complete new wheel from here would cost a fortune unless it gets dissasembled and shipped by sea and this can take months, just ask Leslie.

Anyway I will stand by Magzy and this issue will be resolved, Maybe sending a motor from here with no spokes or rim would be more cost effective. But China is alot closer to AU then I am. When I got into this I was told warranty replacements would be done at no cost to me. They would cover any product failure and shipping cost. But it seems that is not going to be the case.

Gary
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:33:51 PM by GM Canada »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2010, 04:47:39 PM »
Gary,
As a GM distributor your  honesty and help on this forum is second to none. You put China to shame.

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2010, 07:03:34 PM »
I don't understand why a customer would receive a motor that has as many things wrong with it as this one and he is expected to do several repairs on it even though it is brand new. Also with no idea if this will resolve it. I am very frustratrated and Im sure they will not enjoy reading this. For me to ship a complete new wheel from here would cost a fortune unless it gets dissasembled and shipped by sea and this can take months, just ask Leslie.

Anyway I will stand by Magzy and this issue will be resolved, Maybe sending a motor from here with no spokes or rim would be more cost effective. But China is alot closer to AU then I am. When I got into this I was told warranty replacements would be done at no cost to me. They would cover any product failure and shipping cost. But it seems that is not going to be the case.

Gary

This concerns me a lot. I never received a good answer about my old 48v battery. I replaced it with a new one from my pocket while I still waiting for some answer. Gary, how do you manage to receive quick e-mail answers from GM? To me take weeks after several e-mails sent...

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2010, 11:24:41 PM »
Yes and the wheel is damaged as a result of the bad bearing.

There must be a better solution.  If its goes south, and the bearing still doesn't get this Pie rolling.  Send it to me and I will test the windings and if its worth it I will repair it for free..  I have a lot of things I test it with and I will see if the motor is wired correct.  If Magzy can manage to get a replacement hub I will buy it from him for the price I can get before I sell it, after it is repaired.

What state do you live in Magzy?   and what state is the motor, I don't care about circlips and cables and stuff, just the paint job?

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2010, 11:31:52 PM »
If this is not suitable.

Or! ???

Let's arrange a collection and have a new hub sent from GM CA.  Gary may want to help and test the motor before he sends it.

To keep the freight price down it may take a little by sea to get there or you may just get a motor with no rim. As long as the motor is paid for us members only need to go out of pocket for $20 or  $50 or so each.

I will donate $50.  If this collection is agreed upon I can send it to GM CA PayPal account..

Bring it on

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: GM need to sort this out!
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2010, 01:59:15 AM »
Let's arrange a collection and have a new hub sent from GM CA.  Gary may want to help and test the motor before he sends it.

Leslie, this really should not be necessary, Magzy purchased a brand new motor and GM should at least have the courtesy and decency to honour their warranty and get this problem sorted in a quick and acceptable manner. Magzy has already spent a good deal of his time and effort trying to put right something that should have been working 100% in the first place. If Magzy had deliberately abused and damaged a kit that had been delivered in good working order, then I could accept that GM might be a bit reluctant to replace any damaged goods, but this is obviously not the case in this instance.

Gary is a GM dealer, he is not the manufacturer and is not directly responsible for any warranty on the goods that he sells, and I really don't feel that he should have to put his hand in his own pocket regarding this, although I fully understand and appreciate why he is prepared to put himself out for one of his own customers. Gary is a decent guy who actually cares about his business and his customers.  Unlike many people nowadays, Gary also has a conscience, and therefore cannot help but feel responsible, and I'm guessing that he also has no desire to have his excellent reputation as a GM dealer tarnished, simply because GM themselves seem unable to recognise and accept that this problem is actually their responsibility!

This concerns me a lot. I never received a good answer about my old 48v battery. I replaced it with a new one from my pocket while I still waiting for some answer.

Bruno, I find this very hard to believe, your battery fault was first reported at least five months ago, and GM have still not managed to sort the problem out, or provide a replacement?
Come on GM, this sort of thing is definitely unacceptable, and it's certainly no way to look after your own loyal dealers! I think it's time for GM to step up to the mark and start showing that they really are a reputable company, before they jeopardise many more sales! ::)

I hope for everyone's sake that GM will get their act together and quickly come up with a satisfactory solution to both of these genuine warranty faults.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:06:16 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2010, 07:52:52 AM »
Agreed.

And if we started passing around the hat for these cases when and where would it stop?

When I opened my PIE parcels I was absolutely amazed with what my money had bought me.  It's all down to whether it works or not.

Just a couple of thngs would make this kit no:1 and worth quite a few pennies more than we are paying ATM.

The product innovation and quality in general has improved but the service believe it or not has also improved slightly,  There was a time nobody ever got an email response.

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2010, 10:52:50 AM »
Gary,
As a GM distributor your  honesty and help on this forum is second to none. You put China to shame.

Thank You for that. I can understand GM does not want to get scammed  by somone claiming there motor failed just to get a second one for free. But in cases like this where it is so obvious its a legitamit claim . lets get it resolved.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2010, 11:29:23 AM »

This concerns me a lot. I never received a good answer about my old 48v battery. I replaced it with a new one from my pocket while I still waiting for some answer. Gary, how do you manage to receive quick e-mail answers from GM? To me take weeks after several e-mails sent...

I too deal with a communication problem with GM. About 2 weeks ago Tom was everywhere in the forum. Posting and helping in many issues. I thought "Wow things are looking up". This lasted for about a week and now there are no post from Tom in at least a week again.

5 months, no resolve on your battery and your a dealer, Thats unaceptable.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2010, 11:36:58 AM »
I will donate $50.  If this collection is agreed upon I can send it to GM CA PayPal account..

Leslie, your one hell of a guy!  I understand you love of ebikes and wanting to help out others. When I read your post about " I filed it down until I could run my tongue along it " I think wow this guy really loves his bike. Please don't do this though. This is a GM issue that should be resolved by GM. Trust me, It will be resolved, unfortunatly now in an embarassing manor.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: GM need to sort this out!
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2010, 11:50:53 AM »

Gary is a GM dealer, he is not the manufacturer and is not directly responsible for any warranty on the goods that he sells, and I really don't feel that he should have to put his hand in his own pocket regarding this, although I fully understand and appreciate why he is prepared to put himself out for one of his own customers. Gary is a decent guy who actually cares about his business and his customers.  Unlike many people nowadays, Gary also has a conscience, and therefore cannot help but feel responsible, and I'm guessing that he also has no desire to have his excellent reputation as a GM dealer tarnished, simply because GM themselves seem unable to recognise and accept that this problem is actually their responsibility!

Alan

Thanks for that Alan. You are correct, these issues really do bother me. I spend alot of time trying to resolve them and it is very frustrating when GM does not live up to what they agreed to when I signed on. The most frustrating is when you don’t even get a response, as many people in the forum can relate to. Something has to change. GM needs to move from the position of "lets fix it as cheaply as possible" to "lets do the right thing".

It seems I have set off a bit of a firestorm here. This was not intentional. Time to move to another topic now that is not so negative. The reason I come to this forum is to learn and appreciate from the skills of the other forumers. Sometimes I even get to help out with simple problems or questions. I like that. Many of these threads are truly inspiring. It is unfortunate the forum gets littered with issues like this.

Gary
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 12:05:09 PM by GM Canada »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2010, 12:38:39 PM »
At the same time this ebike thing isnt for everyone.  To think you could use a GM motor from the box to replace a car isnt on my books easy to do.

For the price I certainly got what I expected.  And I expected I would need to do a few things to my kit before it could do exactly what I need it to do.

I am totally happy with what I got and I don't care for the after sales service that GM china puts up.  But I look at all the connectors and wires and all the lovely other stuff and still think its was a great deal, it all comes to life when the wind is in your hair crusing at 40+ kph..

Bring it on