Author Topic: *resolved* Loud knocking noise coming from Brand New MP - then dies (again)  (Read 78575 times)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Re: Loud knocking noise coming from Brand New MP - then dies (again)
« Reply #135 on: December 16, 2010, 08:38:39 PM »
Gary, I think you best check the email address  again.  ;)

Also, keep an eye out for my email. I was wondering if you could possibly do me a deal on a delivery to the UK?  :-\

Andrew :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 08:59:28 PM by Andrew »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2010, 10:22:31 PM »
Magzy, you really have to stop wrecking all this stuff! Sorry just kidding. Please send me an email to gaysalo@goldenmotor.ca and we will get you going again.

Gary

I have to leave that in there, that's to funny!! Got to be more carefull when typing in my device!

Try this address Magzy:  GarySalo@GoldenMotor.CA

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Loud knocking noise coming from Brand New MP - then dies
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2010, 11:27:03 PM »

Well last time the controller was replaced, it took ony a week to get here. the fire ants reference was for the motor itself.

Darn, I was hoping for fire ants!

It happenend while riding at full speed - and just coming up to a long incline.
While riding at full speed, applying power to the motor jsut made it make a shudder sound - and then no power at all.

I know you probably were not braking at the time, but did you have regen enabled?

Gary

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Loud knocking noise coming from Brand New MP - then dies
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2010, 11:50:28 PM »

Darn, I was hoping for fire ants!

It happenend while riding at full speed - and just coming up to a long incline.
While riding at full speed, applying power to the motor jsut made it make a shudder sound - and then no power at all.

I know you probably were not braking at the time, but did you have regen enabled?

Gary

yes, regen was on and set to 100%. I was using the brakes too just before it died.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2010, 12:08:14 PM »
i´ve had that to, using the regen brakes and then it´s sudders and stops. also hard to spin the wheel.
After 1 week of waiting and connecting and disconnecting the battery it resetted the controller. Maybe that helps

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2010, 02:31:52 PM »
Hey Hardcore, did you have 5 beeps coming from your controller that time?

And you didn't need to replace the controller? That's awesome, could it be that somehow its enabling the alarm/anti-theft function to lock the wheel?

I wonder if resetting to 'factory settings' with the USB cable would reset it...

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2010, 01:58:18 AM »
Hey Hardcore, did you have 5 beeps coming from your controller that time?

And you didn't need to replace the controller? That's awesome, could it be that somehow its enabling the alarm/anti-theft function to lock the wheel?

I wonder if resetting to 'factory settings' with the USB cable would reset it...

There is a way of resetting the controller in the listed in the install documentation somewhere. I'm too tired to look it up. I'm sue Bikemad knows exactly where it is :)

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2010, 04:49:16 AM »
You're right Gary, although I tried this and number 5 from memory without success. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I think my brakelights should have flicked or something, but maybe not if it toggles a horn signal. I notice on the controller board there is nothing connected to horn. It does have a caption stating MP wheels beeps are replaced by flashes of light.

6.      Anti-theft alarm setting:
Cut off power supply to motor (called soft-switch, but controller is still powered
on) and take out the battery key, within 10 seconds press and hold the cruise
control button until you hear a beep sound, then release the cruise control button.
The vehicle is now protected from theft and the motor is electronically locked.
Any movement or vibration of vehicle will trigger the siren for 30 seconds, and
the motorized wheel will resist any pedaling movement.

I have no clue how the controller does this without power connected to it lol. My thoughts were it was for a controller with key switch operation, and the above process - enables the alarm function, not the motor power itself.

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=1569.0  << Manual

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2010, 03:53:01 PM »
There is a way of resetting the controller in the listed in the install documentation somewhere. I'm too tired to look it up. I'm sure Bikemad knows exactly where it is :)

Unfortunately I don't recall seeing a procedure for resetting the controller, apart from this one for recalibrating the cruise controller to suit non GM motors:

8. Motor phase Calibrating (Do not use it unless your motor is not from GoldenMotor):
The controller can work brushless motors with different phase angles other than defaulted 120 degree.
Below are procedures to let controller match the motor phases:
  • Cut-off power to controller and motor
  • Grip and hold power brake lever, turn throttle to maximum speed position, depress the cruise control button, turn on the power switch (using battery key)
  • Connect battery power to the system, release throttle, release brake lever, release cruise control button.
  • Listen 2 beep sound, turn the motor wheel forward and reverse once
  • If hear 1 beep sound, motor phase calibrating successfully completed.
  • Otherwise, swapping any two of three motor phase wires, and repeat above steps.

It sounds as if you might need more than just two hands to be able to follow those instructions. ???

Alan

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #144 on: December 21, 2010, 08:43:50 PM »
from one of my emails to tom, he ones said that the controller resets after the battery has been disconnected for a period of time.
Don't know but maybe it'll work, try a period that's long enough :D

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2010, 03:08:41 AM »
I wish I could remember, its like hold the brake and throttle open and hit cruise button 5 times then you get beeps back indicating a reset. I can't find the refference to it now.

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2010, 06:12:30 AM »
That sounds like the secret level skip code for Donkey Kong! :D

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
ok *finally* after 6 months of tinketing and toing/frowing from china to canada to australia and back, this is now resolved.  :) Gary sent a new controller and I have only just managed to fit it to the bike nd test it out. 1 week later it's going good.

Loud pinging noise is about 50% of what it once was. (unavoidable and not stelthy but this information was never to be found anywhere on the GM website)

Regen is turned off permanently because this blew the last controller.

So far after 1 week fo riding to work, no issues.

This project, for me has taken 6 months of issues of 1 defective motor and two broken controllers and the rigmarole of sending them back and fourth across the world

Thanks to Gary of GM Canada and the rest of the forum for all the great support with this project.

:)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Hi Magzy,

Nice to hear from you! Hopefully it will be carefree from here on :) That video of when I sound tested your motor has become quite popular. I guess everyone is interested in what they sound like. I have done a few builds since I heard from you last. A dual mini motor and another dual Magic Pie! it has been fun and the weather is finally coming together to ride them. Glad to hear you are finally riding!

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Hi Magzy,

Nice to hear from you! Hopefully it will be carefree from here on :) That video of when I sound tested your motor has become quite popular. I guess everyone is interested in what they sound like. I have done a few builds since I heard from you last. A dual mini motor and another dual Magic Pie! it has been fun and the weather is finally coming together to ride them. Glad to hear you are finally riding!

Gary

Like wise!  Welcome back, oh man have you been on a journey.

I too do not use regen on my pies and so far have had no issues with them or the controllers.

Andrew :)