Author Topic: How to select a compatible donor bike for kit?  (Read 3234 times)

Offline CLOUD

How to select a compatible donor bike for kit?
« on: October 08, 2010, 02:28:08 PM »
Hello,

I would like to know what bike have been found to be compatible for an easy install of the Magic Pie kit.  How many speed should I look for.  Is it 18 speed bike since the max we can use is 6 rear gear?

I would like disc brake for my own safety, is there any specific manufacturer which cause problem with installation.  I've read some installation neede to make spacers and the like.

I am more inclined toward a rear installation.

I do plan on looking at used or on sale bike in the next months to find an appropriate bike. 

Any thoughts on what worked for you or what didn<t work would be great.

Cheers

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: How to select a compatible donor bike for kit?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 07:01:30 PM »
I would suggest a steel frame bike for durability as the weight of the motor and battery etc. will be a great strain on any aluminum build bike.

If you are worried about the max gear sprocket speeds, you can get a front motor and not have to worry about the back. If you plan to have your battery on the back then choosing a front motor will significantly improve your handling and weight distribution. Its upto you.

I have both front and rear, my rear is in need of a fix at the moment so just running the front motor I find is actually better then when I was just running the rear.

My forks are steel and they are suspension forks, I find when hitting a dip at speed they bottom out so if you want suspension forks then I suggest getting some that are 1. Steel and 2. Have greater travel than 20-40mm like my pieces of crap haha

You can pick up a steel frame MTB in your size for around $100 at your standard 'Wal mart' or similar place.

Anywho its really personal choice. I'm sure others have some opinions and ups and downs to add

cheers
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 10:32:52 AM by MonkeyMagic »

Offline davidpaul

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 08:45:09 PM »
I've fitted a rear setup to my Giant xtc hardtail (alloy frame) I had to file the dropouts slightly to fit the axle which is now a nice tight fit, I also have fitted a 7 speed freewheel.
The disc spacing seems to be a problem for hydraulic brakes, I had to move the disc out about 5mm with spacers from Hope tech UK, they make 1mm and 2mm spacers for the 6 bolt pattern disc (longer bolts needed).
Another thing I've done is to fit better quality wheel nuts.

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 01:34:54 AM »
I have managed to fit an 8 speed rear sprocket with the help of a couple of washers.
Take note of the axle/spindle size of the MP too. (it's chunky and wont fit mist bikes)

unless you get a dremmel tool out and file your bike frame to fit the MP.

aluminum frames seem to be a no no - unless you use torque arms to prevent the spindle from spinning out.

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 02:32:49 PM »
Or a strong enough one to support the drop out physically snapping in flash.....