Author Topic: Much More Powerful Pie Now!!!  (Read 237401 times)

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Much More Powerful Pie Now!!!
« Reply #420 on: August 09, 2011, 07:57:31 PM »
Hi Ginge,

They look strong but they are only hard tail frames?

here is what I'm talking about  ;D

That would make a very cool electric conversion, I could even take it to the wood which is only 4 km away, I would have a blast on it!
But that will be a few years away yet, so I'll start saving and hopefully I get to build it, in 2 years I'm sure there will be much better batteries and someone might come up with good ideas for frames too. the future is going to be really something to look forward to, unless of course the law clamps down and everyone is forced to ride around on stupid 250 watt cheap crap pedelec's (but not cheap to buy)

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #421 on: August 09, 2011, 08:23:59 PM »
steel will mostly only come in hardtail frames, as the steel flexes, its no good for hinges and moving parts on a bike frame etc

a lot of the people I have spoken too say having steel makes up for the suspension anyway,...ill let you know morrow. first 40 Miles actual cycle with new steel and no motor :o
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #422 on: August 09, 2011, 09:31:38 PM »
Ginge , have you ever thought about running around 90 ish volts through your pie?  :o

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #423 on: August 10, 2011, 06:34:43 AM »
Run 72 through it once ( 84 fresh off the charger)....

That was an exciting experience....scared for my frame though....but as the new one has 6mm hardened steel dropouts, might give it another go :)
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #424 on: August 10, 2011, 07:50:33 AM »
Run 72 through it once ( 84 fresh off the charger)....

That was an exciting experience....scared for my frame though....but as the new one has 6mm hardened steel dropouts, might give it another go :)

I have a carerra kracken bike from halfords and the aluminium frame is holding up very well. I have very good steal torque arms that's Pat made me. The bike is not the best though and the front shocks are junk!

I think a bike like the one in the pic above would make a superb bike for off road, that and a high volt Pie and you would have a very good high power bike!

24S LiPo would be some fun, Thats abut 88.8 volts nominal nearly 100 volts off the charger  :o

And 60 amps and more peak and you have yourself a 5-7 kw peak or 6-9 horse power!  ;D

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #425 on: August 10, 2011, 09:17:59 AM »
I think you guys running some lighter, geared motors and your large spoked wheels would seriously be fine on an aluminum frame with a torque arm backup.

You would really need to make sure that your torque arm is really snug on the axle, and then FIXED by going a bit overboard with hose clamps would probably hold up pretty well

Using something that I made for my steel frame like this is probably a big no no on Aluminum:

Topic

^^It would just snap the entire dropout aluminum weld and puts more stress on the joins - complete opposite on the steel frame dispersing the torque across the plate, bolts, and weld joins

On the aluminum frames, it's really the thinner front dropouts that are the biggest culprits.

The rear might fail, but it would just spin the axle in the dropout causing damage to your wires. The biggest problem on the rear is actually hitting a gutter/pothole at speed or any large forces like doing a jump and hitting the ground will be the hardeded axle that will physically snap the dropout.

I see a heap of guys that swap out the rear assembly for a steel one anyway. So maybe keep an eye out for a replacement steel rear end. Alot of bikes are built in the same frame design in both steel and aluminum. That would be ideal !!

Funny, last night someone had an Intrepid 24" Steel MTB they kindly left out for hard rubbish. So yup I sure snatched that up! Its doesn't have front nor rear suspension but the frame and tubing is pretty serious. Only a bit of surface rust so its an easy fix

This prompts me to create a new topic for ideas lol..... Ok you can have your ears back now, I think I've 'torqued' them off !

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #426 on: August 10, 2011, 09:31:31 AM »
Hey Monkey  ;D

You are a funny chap!  :)

How's that space bike, is it nearly finished yet?

I think my bike in fairness has done very good to survive the torque of the mac, it is an absolute animal!

I have the block time at 0 in the controller which Helps, I don't think you need any current over shoot on a geared hub!

Mark

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #427 on: August 10, 2011, 09:44:58 AM »
Man my super space mobile 5000 is a moaning biatch.... lol

I think I'll tell the whole story once I'm done, but every aspect has needed be be modified to fit/bolt on to some degree, then most of those modifications themselves have to be customised !!!!

Trying to explain it here I just keep writing sentences then deleting them haha pictures better tell the story....

I'm so close - yet so far away haha

Offline MagneticMotorE

• Confirmed
« Reply #428 on: October 23, 2011, 11:05:31 PM »
okay! so can you explain to me exactly what to do if I were to do the same thing to my Magic Pie 2.0?

I never solder anything in my life but, positive I can do so.

on scale from 1-10
how easy would it be to do this alteration?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Modifying the GM controller for more power without touching the shunt!
« Reply #429 on: October 24, 2011, 01:19:57 AM »
I decided to move my previous post to a New topic which you can see here as I think it really deserves its own thread.

Alan