Author Topic: Making a GM-kit almost legal for Europe  (Read 12128 times)

Offline Mossebon

• Confirmed
Making a GM-kit almost legal for Europe
« on: June 19, 2010, 09:20:16 PM »
 ;D

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Making a GM-kit almost legal for Europe
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 10:14:57 PM »
Sound great! Im horrible reading el-diagrams, so... what do I really need? Are all those extra wires?  Or connect to what already there? Will this apply to the Magic Pie also? Thinking of connecting to the internal controller? Loved the idea:D

Offline Mossebon

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 06:13:35 AM »
Hello Karen.
Everything you need is shown in the diagram, and yes, it´s all extra components. The only "damaging" thing you have to do to the original wiring is cutting the green throttle wire. If you´re not familiar with basic electronics please do NOT >:( alter with your original GM-kit. It could be destroyed and, even worse
, hazardous for you! With the MagicPie motor I don´t know, but isn´t the controller built in the motor? If so, I doubt you have enough space for this idea.
//Mike 8)

Offline Pedro

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 08:27:32 PM »
Hello Mossebon,

i have seen the diagram and I want to build it for my bike, but I have some questions
where goes the wire marked with "minus" to.
and what do you mean with "hall switch PAS".

Offline ooo

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 09:33:08 AM »
hi,

im on a project to control a brushless dc hub motor using pic(similar to a wheelchair project)...im looking for a circuit to control this motor.....if theres any idea it will be very helpfull.....
this a golden motor model
Model:12"motor wheel
Voltage:36V(brushless)
Power:250W
Weight:4.8Kgs

pls any information will help....

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 11:03:59 AM »
Hey moss

I saw on the GM website somewhere a circuit of a speed controller.

It used a 5v reference, so you can use the pic if you needed to. I can't find it for the life of me now, I remember it was good for upto 500w.
When I asked about it to GM they said to use the GM external cruise controller lol

Anyways if anyone saved the circuit would be good to post ;)

There is always cheap ebay controllers that will do the same job, pre-built for under $50 delivered anyways

Offline Pedro

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 07:29:41 PM »
Hey MonkeyMagic

Which Ebay controller do I need for an Magic Pie?
when I search on Ebay there are to many kinds of controllers.

all info will help........

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 01:41:44 PM »
Hey mate

Lol I went looking for it on the GM site after I posted... then I found it and couldnt remember your post lol lucky you replied ;)
The one I saw is in the 'Printed Motor' section, and says its a 'speed controller' for $25

Not sure if its suitable.

I typed in 'brushless controller' on ebay and found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/48V-350W-Brushless-E-bike-Scooter-Controller-Hall-/140415418311?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Anyways that one has hall sensors, you can also get a sensorless controller for a bit cheaper.

It says 350W but as you can see on the controller its 36/48V and in some of the user questions its confirmed. Not sure what power is suitable for your wheel but you can run a resistor on the throttle to stop it going absolute full power.

Lol just buy a GM cruise controller and be done with it, for the extra few bucks is probably worth it :)

Offline ooo

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 06:03:41 PM »
i have 8 cable for my hub motor...and can really figure it out the cable function  for the motor...anyone pls help...

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 11:43:44 PM »
Hi ooo and welcome.

The 8 cables are for brushless speed controller only.  When you have this controller, you get more than 8 cables .
Because this motor is brushless, controller needs to know the motor position so motor has hall sensor installed inside.

Brushless motor has these wires.

Thick high phase current wires.

Yellow
Green
Blue

These phase wires are for the 3 phase motor controller.  They thick because the have much power through them.

Thin sensor wires.

Red.  +5v Power for hall sensor IC's
Black. 0v ground for hall sensor IC's

Yellow For phase signal
Green For sensor signal
Blue   For sensor signal

I can not see your picture well.  I see there are connectors at the ends.

Can you provide better picture please of this part of motor?

When you have a brushless controller these wires will have plugs to the same colours on your motor and can connect.

Beside these motor wires that connect to your new brushless controller  there is wires for the throttle and electric brakes and some other things.  It depends on the controller.

Some times the wires are different for different controllers.  Like the wheel can not work or motor goes backwards.  This means you may have to change the yellow green and blue wires for both hall and phase wires around for proper operations.

EG.  "Green may need to go to yellow and yellow may need to go to green for both hall and phase wires"..

If the wires for you controller do not work, do your work patient, and be very light on the throttle when testing wire combination's.  The red and black wire is always correct so do not change these colours.

So what speed controller do you have for this GM motor?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:54:49 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline ooo

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 04:19:16 AM »
i actually doing some project to control this motor using pic.....so if u have any idea or circuit similar that can help pls forward to me.......
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 04:26:05 AM by ooo »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 11:47:07 AM »
Hi ooo

I unfortunately doubt you will find any PIC circuits on this forum... I would be looking at vehicle automation or something on picBasic or meLabs. Anyways, I myself love to tinker with a PIC or 2... What method do you wish to control your wheel with?

If you want to use PWM then you will basically need to custom build your own controller. I think this is where you are coming from.
You could have a variety of circuits and the most direct would be 3 PWM, then read then monitor the hall sensors on interrupts. I can guarantee you will exceed the cost making your own controller vs. buying one that will do the job for your motor...

If you are looking for a 'quicker' way you can opt. to use a VREF out from near any PIC. Power the PIC from a controller you buy (5v IC circuit) - then connect your analogue voltage reference to the throttle control. You can also switch all of the accessories via the PIC then too like the e-brake and cruise control or whatever on the controller using transistors or probably even directly switched from the PIC as I'd guess a controllers IC current consumption for switching accessories is next to nothing..

I'm curious now, what are you building!

:D