Author Topic: My Magic Pie Bike  (Read 13905 times)

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
Re: My Magic Pie Bike
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 04:29:53 PM »
The controller is okay if the pedaling speed is not too fast. Below 50kph is safe.

Offline gamewinner

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 06:43:50 AM »
OK thank you ;)

I have another question : Actually I'm using a 36V battery. If a change for a 48V will I obtain more torque ?

Offline gamewinner

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 11:47:46 AM »
I finally finished mounting my MP Kit on my bike. You can see here some pictures ;)

Video : http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/8503/video0357.mp4

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Increased torque
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 03:46:01 PM »
I have another question : Actually I'm using a 36V battery. If a change for a 48V will I obtain more torque ?

I've just done a quick stall test comparison between 24 and 48 Volts using 14Ah SLA batteries on my Magic Pie.
With a digital luggage weighing device attached by a strong piece of cord so that is is pulling right on the outer edge of the tyre (Maximum Diameter on a 26 x 2.35 tyre) I get a reading of around 31lbs/14kg @ 24V and 32lbs/14.5kgs @ 48V.
My spreadsheet calculates this to be just over 45Nm of torque @ 24V.

The increase in torque will be very slight. Mine only increased by ~3.5% when I doubled the voltage but the top speed increased from 15 to 25 mph!

Alan

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 06:31:11 PM »
Use the batteries in the backpack is a nice CG control solution for off road use! :D

We need to create some type of quick release power cable for safety :D

Or even an special accessory to put the standard GM batteries at the back. A BattPack  ::)

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2010, 12:24:36 AM »
OK thank you ;)

Ive bumped heads with a few over at ES with this question.  

Sure you get more torque.  A you will feels it too, its not off the mark torque. The performance charts suggest ineffieciencies at 27nM loads at 48v.  the 36v wheel actually pulls more nM at 36v than at 48v.

However.

Often power and torque are confused.  Sure you get more torque at 48v in an area that you don't use yet.  This will be much felt at the higher speeds you can not experience at 36v.

Looking at the performance curves on the GM site with a 26nM the 36v MP is giving about 180 rpm and at 26nM @ 48v it is giving 280 rpm.

The 48v MP lose over 80 rpm and the 36v MP will loose 75RPM under the test load, this maybe showing either the power limitation and added losses more volts oputts into the iron core of the formers..

In the winding all these volts can get pushed into torque under a high load.  From 24v to 48v you can get an added 6nM at take offs..

Usually the motor can not put out much more torque than the windings can handle but we humans can convert torque to speed or vice versa.  The new stuff I am learning here is Rider experienced torque to motor output torque.  They are 2 different things to consider.

Just because one put gears on a motor doesnt mean the motor will give more torque, The wheel will and loose RPM doing this and nM reamains similar.

So I state, yes more volts gives more torque, a lot more torque at 45kph than a 36v config will give.  ;)  You feel the power more when it doesnt slow at 35kph and keeps going faster.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 01:22:05 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline gamewinner

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2010, 01:25:52 PM »
Thank you everybody for your detailed explainations ;)
I think I'll keep my battery 36V for a moment.

I make some new pictures

Backpack with battery (the backpack has back protection) :

I also installed the torque arm :

Offline gamewinner

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 04:31:51 PM »
Hi,

I've a question : I decided to put the battery in the backpack because I wanted to drive my ebike also without the battery. But I saw that even when the battery in not connected to the MP, the MP is a little bit hard to turn and it generates energy (7-8V).

Is this normal ? Is it possible to disable that because it's really hard to drive without the battery ?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Generating effect and torque arm fiitting
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 10:31:30 PM »
Kreshnik,

Unfortunately it is not possible to disable this generating effect.
The 7-8 Volts you mention will be more like 70-80 Volts at a high enough speed. I was concerned about damaging the controller, but according to Yao, "The controller is okay if the pedaling speed is not too fast. Below 50kph is safe."

I've just been looking at your pictures, and have doubts as to whether the fixing of the torque arm linkage is going to be rigid enough to prevent the torque arm from moving. It's difficult to say for sure, but it looks like you might be able to get a much better fixing by removing both link rods and turning the torque arm 180 degrees and securing it directly to the frame using the lower calliper fixing bolt. The small hole in the torque arm may need to be enlarged and/or filed slightly to line up exactly with the calliper fixing, and a slightly longer bolt may be required if there is not enough thread on the existing bolt.

This is just a suggestion, and is not in any way a criticism of your work. ;)

Alan

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 05:03:03 AM »
Howdy,

Alan I agree, also surely not critising Kreshnik's work! After all, Kreshnik[gamewinner] has taken the time and effort to fit a torque arm for added safety.

Funny, my frame is very similar and I ended up filing the axle hole out of a thick peice of steel and bolting the plate to my brake caliper holes. Tough as.

I did this on both sides, so mine isn't really a torque 'arm' but more of a torque plate. I'll post some pics up sometime this week with some video I made of a new install.

Kreshnik, as Alan suggested, turn the axle fitment around and try to install to your caliper bolt hole. This will eliminate the probability that the arm would spin the bolt that connects to your frame arm, rendering the torque arm useless.

If you really want some peace of mind, double up like I did :) nice work on the install btw I like the pack idea!!  :P

Offline gamewinner

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 06:40:46 AM »
Thank you for your help

You have also guest my future question ;) because I was not really sure of my Torque Arm ;)

Do you mind putting the TARM in this way (see picture) ?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 08:51:47 AM »
Do you mind putting the TARM in this way (see picture) ?

Hey champ

Yup that's the ticket I have similiar on my ride. Really it would be ideal if you made a plate up to fit that whole area.

Here's mine: [haha still need 2 paint them]
Just finishing up the bike now, I'll post full pics throughout the week.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:54:55 AM by MonkeyMagic »

Offline gamewinner

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 11:13:24 AM »
I see better now. I'll try to put mine in that way ;)

Thanks

Offline gamewinner

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 03:33:58 PM »
hi there,

I have a big problem in my bike : the Magic Pie axis moves laterally a little bit and sometimes it touches the fork. It's getting worst. I don't know what to do.
I think it's the bearings.

Do you have an idea ?

Here a picture :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline Magneto81

• Confirmed
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 07:58:09 PM »
OH man that's too bad! I had something like that happen to my scooter and now it vibrates and is less efficient... :(

Hey guys, I want to do that safety thing with the TARMS too - where do I find those things? Do I have to find some metal and drill it and bend it like what you seem to have done in your pictures?  :o
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:12:43 PM by Magneto81 »