Author Topic: 3 beeps  (Read 18321 times)

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 3 beeps
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 05:20:54 PM »

Hope this makes things a bit clearer.

Alan

Thank you for your reply.  There is much for me to learn about the new controllers.

With the black throttle wire disconnected, there are no beeps when power is turned on and the motor does nots spin, even though the throttle signal voltage is ~4.25V.

If Signal voltage 0.6V or Signal voltage >4.0V then activate throttle failure mode

If the black wire is reconnected, and then disconnected again, the motor will then run at full speed continually, but still no beeps.

These points seem to contradict, doesnt 4.25V. constitute this very throttle failure mode!  As you put these in the same system operation just confuses me a little.

Rather than post me the same answer I will just take some initiative and use some common sense and accept it that 4.25v doesnt give beeps and >4.0V is throttle failure mode and it is saftey feature and both safety feature and throttle failure mode are one and the same thing.

??? ??? ??? ???

If the black wire is reconnected, and then disconnected again, the motor will then run at full speed continually, but still no beeps.

So even >4.0V doesnt give beeps and this quote below really has no meaning now.

If Signal voltage 0.6V or Signal voltage >4.0V then activate throttle failure mode

This clear things up alot.  :'(

I guess I will find out all this soon enough when I purchase the pie soon.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 05:24:44 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2010, 06:16:03 PM »
Rather than post me the same answer I will just take some initiative and use some common sense and accept it that 4.25v doesnt give beeps and >4.0V is throttle failure mode and it is saftey feature and both safety feature and throttle failure mode are one and the same thing.

>4.0V is not throttle failure mode, but it should be.

The power on safety feature and throttle failure mode are not one and the same thing.

If this is controlled by software, it should be possible to modify the programming slightly to include an over voltage check as well to cover failure of the ground connection:

If Signal voltage <0.6V or Signal voltage >4.0V then activate throttle failure mode

The above quote was just an example of programming code that could be used to check for throttle failure producing an over voltage, this is not what happens at the moment!

Alan

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2010, 07:30:27 PM »
Clear as a brass bell.

Agreed on the should be.

I gets my Pie in july.  there shouldnt be much I wont know by then.

Thanks again.

Bring it on

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 08:16:22 PM »
Electrician didnt have time to come today, but will post as soon as I get readings on voltage. Hang in there, please :P.

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2010, 01:25:33 PM »
Well... No signal to the throttle... As suspected. BUT! There is connection from the 8-pinconnector to the throttle....

So... is it the internal controller or what? Now I really don't know what to do :'(.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: motor test
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2010, 11:09:25 PM »

Karen, do you know if there is 5V present at pin 6 of the 8 pin connector socket shown on the diagram?

You should be able to carry out a simple test to see if the voltage is present at the socket by connecting a small piece of wire (reshaped paper clips work well for this) between pins no 4 and 6 on the motor socket which should make the motor run at full speed:

Make sure the wheel is raised off the ground and that the power is turned on before you insert the wire.

If the motor spins, this would indicate that the speed controller and the motor wiring harness are connected correctly giving the required 5V at pin 6.

If the motor does not spin when 4 and 6 are linked, it could be due to a controller fault or a break (or short) somewhere along the thin red wire which runs between the controller and the socket.

Let us know whether it runs or not when you have tested it.

Alan

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2010, 12:15:48 PM »
Didnt run :'(

And stop me before I break some rules about warranty:(

To be continued....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 11:12:32 PM by karen »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 06:15:17 PM »
I think we have done all we can here.  Its up to TOM now.

Good work Bikemad.  Sometimes you cant fix a bad connection, not from not trying though.

Yes Karen, thank you for giving your best here, but you have learned a lot of things you may need to know in the future.

Unless anyone has any more good ideas to help.  

Try a new cable.

Or.

Do you have an Authorised GM dealer who sold you the bike?

Request warranty, or repair, or replacment Pie.

If not.

Email tom and be very basic with your email and explain what is happening.

He will ask you to do some tests similar to the ones you just did.

zhourenli@goldenmotor.com

Be patient.

Good luck,
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:23:01 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2010, 09:16:25 PM »
Thank you guys! I got some messages from Bikemad to do the same. Doing the same testing again and sending the results to Tom. Ill keep you updated on how it works out.

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 05:22:01 AM »
Mail from Tom:
"The problem comes from the internal controller,because of make a mistake with the positive and cathode of the battery.
You should replace the internal controller."

Now I just have to request a new controller? And any photos on how I do this? :'(

Karen

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
SOLVED!!! - Sort of... And I learned a lot:D
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 05:47:42 PM »
Solved... Sort of!

Im not an electrician, but sometimes being stubborn helps. Getting anoyed helps too... I needed a new controller, but thats in China and Im just below the artic circle...

Missing 5v from throttle to pie - solution suggestion -new controller....

BUT - stubborn - want fix NOW...

Maybe...
Thinking...
Hmmm....

Connection from 8-pin to throttle ok on voltmeter(?)..

Thinking more..., what iff...
so no 5v from pie to 8-pin...
Might be break in wire... opening the big black wire... cutting thin red wire.... long, big, thick wire from back on bicycle to red wire on steering... AND

VOILA!!!
I can now ride in an orderly fashion, and throttle works...

Pedelec don't tho...

And the wireing looks like a mess.... but it works... and I came very close to landing in the "ditch"?

So - now I need to wire it up so it looks like a bike:D

Thank you and all my love to you all! :P
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:56:28 PM by karen »

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 07:19:21 PM »
Never Give Up; Never Surrender! ;D

But...
You did What?! ???
Connected full battery voltage to the wire that should have 5V?
(I'm not familiar with the Magic Pie, so excuse my ignorance... ;) )

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 07:57:33 PM »
I split the big black wire that comes out of the pie, inside - small wires. Two red ones... cut the small red one(5V - to throttle)... then made a new one. The big red one is 53,someV....

Out from the pie is a big black wire that comes out. This splits in two further up. One is the power and the other is all the small wires. new wire from before cut, ( before 8-pin connector) and to the throttle... works nice:d Looks like a mess tho... will get better....

In norwegian: Ut fra motoren kommer en tykk ledning. Inni denne går alle ledninger til alt mulig... denne splittes først I to tykke sorte ledninger. I den ene er to tykke ledninger som er strøm. Den andre deles opp I en kontakt med 8 pinner. Det var brudd I den røde ledningen fra controlleren inni motoren mellom motor og før den ble splittet opp. Åpnet, fant feil og la ny ledning utenom 8-pinskontakten og rett opp I koblingen under styret der alle ledningen går. Testet og det virker... så nå får jeg de 0,6-4,8 voltene på gassen. Hvor I Norge?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 08:02:52 PM by karen »

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 08:03:52 PM »
Ok, so you left the thick red one alone then? :) Just made a new 'red thin wire' from down in the cable harness and connected it to the throttle, bypassing the 8pin connector?
In other words; the red thin wire was probably broken before the 8-pin connector...

Well done! :)

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 08:06:15 PM »
Yes! And I didnt need to change the controller :P. That wouldnt made the problem go away:d