Author Topic: 3 beeps  (Read 18322 times)

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
3 beeps
« on: May 29, 2010, 01:55:04 PM »
I just got my brand new JoyEbike, with PAS, thumb trottle and Magic pie, lights and all. Nice:D And jeeezzz... so fun.. problem tho.... 3 beeps when I turn the battery on... and nothing works... but when I press the red button with a bulb on on the right(got one on the thumbtrottle too) it starts.... on full speed....  making it a bit stressfull and I now have some spinningmarks in my driveway;) Im hopeless with this, but I suspect its something with the wires,since the wires to the horn was loose... I could fix that and now the horn works... what should I look for? Dont have and don't know how to use a voltmeter or what its called...  Original wireing looks horrible...Suggestions appriciated on how to start finding the error:)
The other 3 beeps in the forum has half speed, but mine got full speed...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 02:01:43 PM by karen »

Offline sveinf

• Confirmed
Re: 3 beeps
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 09:31:56 PM »
Hello!
Connecting the red and white cables from the motor(I needed to take apart the plug from the motor to do this test) gives me full speed on the wheel. It may seem that your thumb throttle only give you full throttle? I had to get a new one from GM to fix my three beeps, but still no reaction on the motor when turning on the power and twisting the throttle. So any tips would be highly appreciated!!

Svein 

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:53:50 PM »
but when I press the red button with a bulb on on the right(got one on the thumbtrottle too) it starts.... on full speed....  making it a bit stressfull and I now have some spinningmarks in my driveway;) Im hopeless with this, but I suspect its something with the wires,since the wires to the horn was loose... I could fix that and now the horn works... what should I look for? Dont have and don't know how to use a voltmeter or what its called...  Original wireing looks horrible...Suggestions appriciated on how to start finding the error:)
The other 3 beeps in the forum has half speed, but mine got full speed...

It is possible the throttle out is connected to the positive throttle power supply through that button and you are getting three beeps due to the lack of proper installation.

Do all your work with the bike wheel off the ground.

Either remove throttle from handle bars so it isnt damaged when turn the bike upside down so it rests on the seat and handle bars. Or lay it on the ground gentley so the extruding pedal keeps the the wheel off the ground.

Give me a minute to look at the wires.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 10:07:21 PM »
Is this the throttle,

Which side of the plug is going to the throttle and which side goes to the hub?

The top plug it looks to be red black brown.  Looks odd to me.

And the bottom plug looks to be red black green looks like the throttle side.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 10:24:48 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 10:19:45 PM »
Hello!
Connecting the red and white cables from the motor(I needed to take apart the plug from the motor to do this test) gives me full speed on the wheel. It may seem that your thumb throttle only give you full throttle? I had to get a new one from GM to fix my three beeps, but still no reaction on the motor when turning on the power and twisting the throttle. So any tips would be highly appreciated!!

Svein  

So you do still get full speed when you connect the red wire and white wire? Is the black wire connected?

The red wire is the 5v supply to the chip inside the throttle.  The white wire is for the controller to know the speed you want.  The black wire is what makes your bike not move when you have no twist on the throttle.

When you twist the throttle you take away the black wire effect of 0v on the white wire.  The more you twist the less black wire effects the white wire  and more red wire volts go through the white wire to the controller.

If no red wire power is going to the controller through the white you will get beeps.  If your black wire is not connected you will get full 5v volts to controller and there is a safe funtction that should stop the bike from moving.

Your black wire may not be connected.

Bring it on

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 10:36:18 PM »
Your suggestion to what is for throttle and what is for hub is correct. Came "prewired" from GM China, so I suppose its correct.
And my thumbthrottle doesnt work at all.. but the lights are working for battery indication.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 10:40:19 PM by karen »

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 10:37:53 PM »
It looks like its brown, black, beige(brownish)...

Is this the throttle,

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Hello!

Svein 
My thumbtrottle doesnt do anything... :-\

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 01:03:17 AM »
Is this the throttle,

Leslie, that's the Pedelec connector on the Magic Pie. The top socket is the harness side and the lower plug will go to the pedelec sensor on the bottom bracket.

Despite the power being delivered, I still suspect that the motor is only running at half speed which is normal for throttle failure mode (indicated by the three beeps).

As the battery indicator LEDs are lighting up OK, it would appear that the black throttle ground connection is fine.

Karen, it would be really helpful to know the voltage readings between the black and red wires on the throttle lead (which should be ~4.8V) and the black and white wires on the same lead (this reading should vary from ~0.8V with the thumb throttle released up to ~3.7V at full throttle).

This diagram should help you to identify the wires, even though your wiring does not have the coloured connectors fitted:

Click image to view full size.

Alan

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 01:25:40 AM »
Any different readings to different batteries? And Ill try to get an electrician to help me get the readings. Easier said than done, living in the middle of nowhere. Tiny place. Got one respons, to help me after the weekend...

And jikes! Iff that half speed,  :o I might need a bikers helmet and suit...

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 01:27:47 AM »
Any different readings to different batteries?

Throttle voltages should be the same regardless of the battery voltage.

Alan

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 01:55:39 AM »
Since Im still not sure how to get that done, I might still ask weard questions. Got a better picture tho... of the wires. one red and one blue in one "big" wire( lacking some languageskills here), and yellow, green, white, brown, red and black in the "really big" wire. Witch red wire? The one in the blue/red - mix or in the "rainbowmix"? Try them all and then post again? Its 4 in the morning here now, so I have to call it a night.

And I hope everybody remembers to thank all of you people for helping. I really love you guys! Dusins of roses to all of you!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 02:04:42 AM by karen »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 05:49:19 AM »
Ahh I see.

It is like the lm317t and the device it powers is best having ground from supply to lm317t then gound from lm317t to your device.  Any shortcuts to the device from ground, if the lm317t loses the ground wire this will give unregulated volts to the device.

The same goes for this order.  Any ground failure connection on the previous devices will result in full speed.

I would of thought that the throttle was the first order of choice but then again I don't fully understand the cruise controll function yet.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 05:55:13 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 06:21:26 AM »

Despite the power being delivered, I still suspect that the motor is only running at half speed which is normal for throttle failure mode (indicated by the three beeps).

The battery indicator LEDs are lighting up OK, it would appear that the black throttle ground connection is fine.

Alan

But what if the actual black wire on the throttle cable was lose?  The black wire that comes from the throttle itself?

But would this give beeps when the battery is switched on?  You said this would cause the safety function to cut in to stop it from full speed.

I asked this before.  Does the safety function give 3 beeps too.

Otherwise!

This sounds like a standard run of the mill throttle failure.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 06:34:00 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 12:24:51 PM »
But what if the actual black wire on the throttle cable was lose?  The black wire that comes from the throttle itself?

But would this give beeps when the battery is switched on?  You said this would cause the safety function to cut in to stop it from full speed.

I asked this before.  Does the safety function give 3 beeps too.

With the black throttle wire disconnected, there are no beeps when power is turned on and the motor does nots spin, even though the throttle signal voltage is ~4.25V.
If the black wire is reconnected, and then disconnected again, the motor will then run at full speed continually, but still no beeps.
In this condition, applying the brakes will only stop the power going to the motor if the black wires on the brakes switches are still grounded. If there is a break is in the main black wire from the controller it will not stop the power!

The three beeps will only occur if the signal voltage to the controller falls below ~0.6V.

If this is controlled by software, it should be possible to modify the programming slightly to include an over voltage check as well to cover failure of the ground connection:
If Signal voltage <0.6V or Signal voltage >4.0V then activate throttle failure mode

On my bike (with everything connected and working correctly) when you switch on power without the throttle being released (signal voltage greater than 1.25V) there are no beeps, but the safety function is activated. As soon as you release the throttle completely, it automatically resets itself and the throttle works normally again.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer.

Alan

« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:29:55 PM by Bikemad »