Author Topic: Three beeps from the MP  (Read 11009 times)

Offline sveinf

• Confirmed
Three beeps from the MP
« on: May 10, 2010, 06:54:58 PM »
Hello, I recently installed a rear Magic Pie kit using the 48V12Ah rack mounted battery. In addition I mounted front- and rear lights, cruisecontrol, brakes, Pedelec and thumb throttle.
The problem is, I`ve never got the thumb throttle to work. when connecting the battery, I got three beeps.
I`ve done some actions relating to the cables, measuring that there is no broken cables from the 8-pin connector to the throttle. When pushing the cruise control button, the motor starts and runs for steady half speed.
I`ve done hardwiring from the MP to the throttle, still getting three beeps. Trying to short the red and green/black cable from the MP didnt make a difference either, and no reaction from the motor during these actions. I`ve had several emails with Tom in GM, but it seems he has given in(not answering my emails anymore). I have not tried to split the motor hub, because I`m not sure how I should proceed after removing the screws. I`m in deep need of some really good advice now, can someone please help me? Photos regarding the subject would be appreciated!
I`m new in this forum, so please excuse me for my lack of knowledge and poor language. I try my best!   :)

BR
Svein
from Norway

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Three beeps from the MP
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 07:04:15 PM »
Have you tried the female and male 8 pin?

Offline sveinf

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 07:19:56 PM »
Yess! I have taken both apart and connected the cableends directly to each other, colors are matching.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 04:13:37 PM »
Do the colours match after and before the connection, at my pie it doesn't.
See this picture I found on this forum.

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 08:32:39 AM »
Hi sveinf

Strongly suggest removing the hub casing to check the controller wiring readings...

I had the same problem where 1 day I wanted to change from twist throttle to the thumb throttle only to find that my throttle input stopped working altogether! I thought at first I had damaged the 8-pin connector however, that was not the case.

Only by posting on this forum was I able to remedy my problem. The issue was not to do the 8-pin connector nor the accessory to 8-pin plug cable at all in fact, it was the cable from the controller itself to the 8-pin socket. I have different readings from my socket and from the controller so in process of elimination; the problem lies with the joiner (sealed plastic rounded rectangle shape) in between the hub motor and 8-pin Socket that separates the power from the accessories cable. Who knows how this became faulty/shorted.

I'm now awaiting on a replacement cable (that I had to pay for..) of which I am not receiving any email corresponding replies or updates or the matter. So possibly if your readings are different from the cable to the controller then you may save yourself some time and replace the hub to socket cable.

Hope you get it sorted I'm hangin' to get some milage on my MP

Offline sveinf

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 10:45:41 AM »
Interesting reading!
I`ve studied the illustration, and the colours does match.
Regarding the joiner on the hubcable(from the MP), I haven`t tried to take it apart and look inside it. If something is wrong there, is it repairable?
Where can you buy such a replacement-cable? GM?
And another issue, how do I split the hub for changing this cable?
And yes, I`m eager to get my MP started too!!!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 01:59:41 PM »

Svein,

You will find some useful information regarding throttle voltages etc. in this post.

Alan

Offline sveinf

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 07:34:47 AM »
Thanks again! :D
Now I`ll have some work to do!
I`be back as soon as I have a result.

Svein

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 09:02:35 PM »
I just got my JoyEbike with mp rear, thumbtrottle, PAS and have the same problem.. Three beeps, and red on/off-switch marked with a bulb turns engine on and off--- making it a bit stressfull.. think I have more than half speed tho... thumbtrottle not working.

Where in Norway, Svein?

Offline Mabman

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 06:19:14 AM »
Hi sveinf

Strongly suggest removing the hub casing to check the controller wiring readings...

I had the same problem where 1 day I wanted to change from twist throttle to the thumb throttle only to find that my throttle input stopped working altogether! I thought at first I had damaged the 8-pin connector however, that was not the case.

Only by posting on this forum was I able to remedy my problem. The issue was not to do the 8-pin connector nor the accessory to 8-pin plug cable at all in fact, it was the cable from the controller itself to the 8-pin socket. I have different readings from my socket and from the controller so in process of elimination; the problem lies with the joiner (sealed plastic rounded rectangle shape) in between the hub motor and 8-pin Socket that separates the power from the accessories cable. Who knows how this became faulty/shorted.

I'm now awaiting on a replacement cable (that I had to pay for..) of which I am not receiving any email corresponding replies or updates or the matter. So possibly if your readings are different from the cable to the controller then you may save yourself some time and replace the hub to socket cable.

Hope you get it sorted I'm hangin' to get some milage on my MP

I had/have the same problem since day one. I was able to get the thing to work by zip tieing the joiner to a solid place but it has gotten so bad now that it won't even work with that. Sucks that they are making you pay for the cable. I never even asked because I thought that was going to be the case. Golden motors has a way to go with their customer service.

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 09:24:48 AM »
Karen (and Svein): I live near Grimstad... ;)
I have a standard 36V,750W rear hub, not Magic Pie but have electronics experience; maybe I can help if you live nearby? :)

Offline Eriknoort

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 10:17:16 AM »
I have had that problem with the MagicPie. It was a broken white wire between the 8 pin connector and the controler inside the pie.
I changed the white with the unused yellow wire.

Erik

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 07:17:49 PM »
Karen (and Svein): I live near Grimstad... ;)
I have a standard 36V,750W rear hub, not Magic Pie but have electronics experience; maybe I can help if you live nearby? :)

I live close to Mo I Rana, about 1200km away so.... :(

Offline sveinf

• Confirmed
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 08:26:21 PM »
Hello Norwegians and everyone else interested! After the quite long faultfinding along with Madman(Alan), Tom in GM agreed to send me a new throttle control(I had to pay 25 usd for the freight). After switching to the new one there is no more beeps. Neither pushing the throttle nor turning the pedals around made the motor start. I also tried to disconnect the PAS, same result. The batteryindicator said half full so I think I charge the battery before further testing. I`ll be back when done.
Madman, my guru, do you have any good advice?
PS I live in Drammen.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 09:49:01 PM »

Madman, my guru, do you have any good advice?
PS I live in Drammen.

I believe you mean Mabman not Madman.  A madman is a crazy male person  LOL.  Easy mistake thast could be taken wrong by people here.

Does your wheel turn free when it is switched on?  Or is it cogging. 

Bring it on