Author Topic: Sh*T ass wires again... im tired of doing things aren't you guys? Look at this.  (Read 12508 times)

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Hey all,
sorry for the Subject but I had to get some attention:
My Magic Pie's wires were broken, no warranty ofcourse so I had to buy them again. I bought them from devi comfort and they sended it to me after 1 month of waiting. Then I find out I still have to cut the wires so I have the same result as I had 80 bucks and a lot of time ago.
I will include the pics when they are available but for now I am really pissed!

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« on: October 25, 2009, 08:44:57 AM »

hey all,

I'll start with the reviews(after Hyena ;))

What question do you all have about my Magic Pie(I got it running)
Should I make a youtube video about it, or pics?

Here are the stats

Bike: Fully susp. MTB with Topeak Defender mudguards, Zoom suspension, Front and rear disc brakes.
Protection: Axa CH-95 chain lock (art sertified)
Voltage: 48v (54.6v fully charged)
Top speed: 45 km/h
Range: 55 km (with pedaling 35 km/h to 40 km/h)
Acceleration: 0-45 in 5 secs
                  0-40 in 4 secs
Pedal start   5-40 in 3 secs ;D

A little bit about myself:
Name: Kevin
Passion: Electric vehicles
First ebike: described above

and a picture of the bike before converted to ebike.

« on: April 25, 2010, 11:45:07 AM »

Hey all,
I found 1 bad connection, it's my 8 pin connector. (the male doesn't really fit into the female, it disconnects and then it connect again. Very annoying.)
How can I get this right, I also ordered new throttle brake levers and multi switch and battery cable. They still have to come but should I post pictures of how it looks or can anyone help me now.

You were going so well for 6 mths and all of a sudden you had one of those magic moments. ;D

Man that gotta hurt spending $80 and getting the wrong wires.  I think when I gets my pie I'll set it up and insulation tape those damn plugs and never pull em apart.

Send on the pics and see what we can do.

Bring it on

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Yes, I did go well for a long time. But my problem is that I didn't wanted to connect them myself so I ordered all the stuff with universal connector but now I got my 8 pin connector with the wires coming out and the connectors on them are so weird I don't even know if they are actually ment for connector usage :D

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Yes, I did go well for a long time. But my problem is that I didn't wanted to connect them myself so I ordered all the stuff with universal connector but now I got my 8 pin connector with the wires coming out and the connectors on them are so weird I don't even know if they are actually ment for connector usage :D

I got tired of all this stuff about a 2 weeks after I bought my kit.  But now I guess I like it.

I ride my bike so hard on days I think the wheels are going to fall off.

Do you have a multimeter?

Do you have the original plugs.

Take a leap of faith unplug pack and cut the damned things, leave enough wire on each plug to test, plug it together and test the connection continuity.

Write it all down, each wire colour on the male side that corresponds with the wire colour on the female side.

GET IT RIGHT.  Recheck.

The thin wires are gay trying to solder.  You can twist them together. Side by side and this is ugly and bulky..

Or twist them so they join straight. Solder clean, Some pretty shrink tube around them each. Stylish sexy.  

Be very careful not to cross any wires and always have the controller off or unplugged from the pack when doing this. There is no room for mistakes.  These stuff really can go whack and take out your controller in a blink of an eye if you mess up.

Recheck.

Finish your work before you reconnect the pack and this is why it is important to get it right..
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:47:40 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
i saw the post on facebook, lol. I'll ask tom.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Sweet.

Hang in there Hardcore GM is coming to the rescue.

Bring it on

Offline dfmerrifield

• Confirmed
I wanted to cut all my wires short but, also didn't want to loose the plugs.  So, I took a short length of Black ABS pipe and two ABS caps and twined all the access wiring into it and have it attached to the bottom of the rear rack.  It looks real sharp and didn't loose my plugs.  So in short, this my be a way of hiding all your repair/connections.  Just a recommended thought.

Don
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 03:36:17 AM by dfmerrifield »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
So what side do you think is faulty?

Is it the male or female?

They are like svga plugs.  Years experience with the similar SVGA plugs have just proved annoying.  Get some dirt in the females holes and the pug is almost impossible to clean out.

If you plug em in and leave them they are usually just fine.

With these types things, the temptation  to clean it out with a pin/needle almost always results in an intermittent connection.

That's why I think plug it in, and leave it alone.

If you were to unplug them once a year it could be too much.

Not saying you did any of the above, but maybe we should make some do's and dont's just the same.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
I wanted to cut all my wires short but, also didn't want to loose the plugs.  So, I took a short length of Black ABS pipe and two ABS caps and twined all the access wiring into it and have it attached to the bottom of the rear rack.  It looks real sharp and didn't loose my plugs.  So in short, this my be a way of hiding all your connections.  Just a recommended thought.

Don

Thats cool. :D  Got a pic?.

Bring it on

Offline dfmerrifield

• Confirmed
Hold on a few and I will get one for ya!

Don

Offline dfmerrifield

• Confirmed
Sorry it took so long!  Damn digital camera is so touchy, you can't see the pick but smudges.  So, had to use the cell phone and I use windows 7 with office 2007 and somewhere along the line *&%$# it's a bitch to finally get the pic's off the memory card.  Then change the pic format.  Pain in the you know what!!

Anyway, here it is.

Offline dfmerrifield

• Confirmed
Since the rear light bracket broke off just from road vibrations, and I could see it was going to happen.  I could see the aluminum at the bend by the weld was weak and had a crack in it.  I made one out of  18 ga. sheet metal and also was able to mount my fender to it so it is much stronger and not flopping all over the place.

Offline dfmerrifield

• Confirmed
As you can see from the above pic's, I cut off the bottom of the rack and I bolted the rest of it to a post rack leaving the vee brace.  This was so I can use saddle bags or a pannier and keep the bags from running into the tires.

I used only 1.5" ABS and it was real tight for the wires.  I would highly recommend using 2" ABS for black and 2" C-PVC for white.  You'd be amazed at the difference in size and would make it look much fuller.  In the pics it looks a bit small for the bike but, it works real good for what it is used for.

Don
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 06:38:32 AM by dfmerrifield »

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Well here are the pics:
As you can see the connectors are way to small to fit the throttle brake levers and cruise button!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Well here are the pics:
As you can see the connectors are way too small to fit the throttle brake levers and cruise button!

Kevin, I know you're not goint to like this, but those connectors are correct for the Magic Pie, see pictures in Hyena's review.

They are the same as mine, and I would expect all Magic Pies (except for yours) to have this type of connector.

As yours was one of the original pre-production Magic Pies, it would explain why it has different connectors to the others.

Looks like you'll have to see what Yao and Tom can come up with.

Alan
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:03:38 AM by Bikemad »