Author Topic: Only one bad connector but don't know what to do now, help needed.  (Read 4950 times)

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Hey all,
I found 1 bad connection, it's my 8 pin connector. (the male doesn't really fit into the female, it disconnects and then it connect again. Very annoying.)
How can I get this right, I also ordered new throttle brake levers and multi switch and battery cable. They still have to come but should I post pictures of how it looks or can anyone help me now.

Offline electrorocket

• Confirmed
Re: Only one bad connector but don't know what to do now, help needed.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 07:18:55 PM »
please post he pic... I may have a similar problem. I'd like to see.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 08:05:12 PM »
I can't really see what's wrong so I don't think we have the same problem but there is something in that connector what causes my fall outs
ill post pics tomorrow becuz now I gotta sleep ;D
cheers

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 11:57:35 AM »
Hmmm it sounds like my story is beginning !

When I found a connection fault inside the 8-pin connector I was successful by using a small piece of tiny guage copper wire and coiling it around a needle point to make a tiny connector spring, I pushed that into the 8-pin female socket and it worked well.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 12:54:30 PM »
LOLZ that's my problem to, I think it's the female connector for the Throttle.
How did you excactly do that, you got any pics or some more info? I would really appreciate it

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 02:18:06 PM »
Hi my post with a heap of wiring pics from members of the forum helped me out:
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=2103.0

But you would use the one below the most. As for the wire just get the thinnest guage wire u can and using pliers wrap a bit around thin needle or resistor lead or something, pull tight on the wire with the pliers and wrap around to make a tiny coil. Then just cut a small neat piece to push in the socket hole.

I got a bit more frustrated and wanted to hard wire the cable itself but thinking I was already ahead by having all of the connector info ready, when I cut the cable the wiring was different! Now with help from this forum I've determined that I have a short or fault somewhere in the original cable resulting in wire shorts between battery power and the throttle control so rewiring it from the controller luckily fixes my problem.

Reason I tell you this is if you can possibly save the connector itself and use the original connectors go for it, but hard-wiring definitely do that post connector end as you can buy new replacement cables for around $30. Mine was fine until one day I had throttle problems... Anywho hope that it fixes your problem.

Also check you are getting +5V from the red wire to the throttle

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 03:22:32 PM »
I did all those checks with voltage etc. but my english is not that good to understand what you're talking about. Is it putting coper into the female connector?

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 02:07:34 AM »
I cut my first plug off and soldered the wires and shrink wrap.  Now I wish I didnt but it solved connection issues but made it harder to disassemble and reassemble  No more plug and play :(

But if you want to solder them.b read on.

In case the wires from one plug (male) are different colour to the other (female) leave some wire on both ends do you can easy match the right wires.

Use some very fine shrink tube over the small soldered wires.  Twist the the ends of each connection so the wires are straight.

Bring it on