Author Topic: Will Magpie Axal be long enougth 8 Cog Setup with Disc Brakes  (Read 4950 times)

Offline MasterCATZ

• Confirmed
I have seen a few threads where people recived their wheels and the axal length was to short to use 5 Cogs .. I have 8 on mine .. plus Disc Brakes
is their a way to order with longer axal ??

Personally I do not under stand why they do not make them longer any how ... as most people could cut them off if they are to long .. but making them longer is nearly impossible

I am assuming this is the price difference between the front and rear wheels ? assuming this is the only diff between them .. axal length ?

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Will Magpie Axal be long enougth 8 Cog Setup with Disc Brakes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 08:19:16 AM »
Those people who use 5 cog have a lot of space between de different gears. So if you could give use the length of yours, from the highest to the lowest gear?
I don't think they sell longer axels on these mp's but you could ask tom or yao through email:

yaoyuan@goldenmotor.com
zhourenli@goldenmotor.com

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:25:56 AM »
I have seen a few threads where people recived their wheels and the axal length was to short to use 5 Cogs .. I have 8 on mine .. plus Disc Brakes
is their a way to order with longer axal ??

Personally I do not under stand why they do not make them longer any how ... as most people could cut them off if they are to long .. but making them longer is nearly impossible

I am assuming this is the price difference between the front and rear wheels ? assuming this is the only diff between them .. axal length ?

I don't think the issue is the length of the axle. I beleive its the distance between the frame dropouts that does not allow the motor and the wider freewheels to fit. You can of course stretch your frame dropouts wider to accomidate a fit and the axle should still be long enough. But unless you have a solid steel frame widening the dropout distance can be very dangerous as the frame can give out while riding.

Gary

Offline MasterCATZ

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:26:25 AM »
Actually I just noticed that the cassett size seems to be the same regardless of the gears added .. seems like the chains / gears get smaller / thinner as well

yet to measure the 8 STX  ( but I might have to go 9 XT as I can not seem to be able to find any 8 STX-RC / XT cassetts anymore )

guessing their is no way to still use my quick release setup on my hubs either

cheers for your replies

still trying to work out how I am going to mount an bike stand on this frame  :P

edit

rear

150mm outside fork
135mm inside fork
8 x cassett was just a bit past 55mm

front

120mm outside fork
100mm inside fork

75mm minimum distance

I might just mount 1x front wheel if a rear will not fit ... after all the bike wheel stands as it is with its high man power torque :P
plus the front as 1cm thick torque tabs anyhow :P

its an mongoose NX 8.3 frame STX-RC and XT-RC gear
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:21:27 AM by MasterCATZ »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Will Magpie Axle be long enough 8 Cog Setup with Disc Brakes
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 11:18:31 AM »
Actually I just noticed that the cassett size seems to be the same regardless of the gears added .. seems like the chains / gears get smaller / thinner as well

yet to measure the 8 STX  ( but I might have to go 9 XT as I can not seem to be able to find any 8 STX-RC / XT cassetts anymore )

guessing their is no way to still use my quick release setup on my hubs either

still trying to work out how I am going to mount an bike stand on this frame

You might want to note that the Magic Pies requires the old style threaded (screw on) freewheel, and will therefore not accept the current cassette type gears.

You guessed correctly, the use of quick release axles is not going to be an option you can considor with these hubmotors.

With regard to the stand, you might be able to use a universal "clamp on" type of side stand fitted at the rear.  An additional fabricated metal bracket could be used to firmly locate the stand by securing it to the axle using the wheel nut.  If the bracket had a suitably slotted hole, which fitted the axle exactly, it would also act as a torque arm for the motor as well.

Alan