Author Topic: No disc brakes on front wheel Magic Pie?  (Read 9489 times)

Offline Ryan

• Confirmed
No disc brakes on front wheel Magic Pie?
« on: April 22, 2010, 03:51:39 AM »
I have read that one should not use disk brakes on a front wheel electric motor (see this link http://e-bikekit.com/ebk-system/bike-compatibility.html.  See bullet point 4).  Is this true with Magic Pie?  Has anyone successfully used disk brakes on a front wheel Magic Pie?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:02:23 AM by rbuchmann »

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: No disc brakes on front wheel Magic Pie?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:42:13 AM »
Perhaps they mean hydraulic disc brakes as you would not be able to use the break cutoff leavers to cut the motor power when activated for safety reasons. I would think cable disc breaks would be fine.

Muzza.au

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:46:22 AM »
No front disk brakes. Rear disc brakes are an option.

If that was because of the switches on the levers the same would apply to both.  I think it has more to do with the thickness of some hub motors. A wider hub fitted between the narrower front dropouts may not leave enough room for the disc to fit in its correct place and still have enough clearance between the disc and the hub for the caliper to fit correctly.

As Muzza has already mentioned, this is not a problem for the Magic Pie with most cable operated calipers, but it could be for some of the bulkier calipers and probably dual piston hydraulic ones too.

The following pictures shows a front Magic Pie with the disc brake fitted:

The narrow width of the Magic Pie makes this option possible.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:11:50 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Valy

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:22:50 PM »
hello guys , some hydraulic pomps they have switches for back brake .you kan usethem for cut of the motor.

Offline MasterCATZ

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 04:56:14 AM »
I am actually wanting to build a bike exactly like that Dual Magpie Bike for Hi speed Crusing
I really need all the suspention I can get .. going back when I last used a bike I whent through like 4 of them with bent forks twisted frames ect
( none had shockies back then .. and those pot holes where harsh @ 60+ km  )

any one know where to buy that bike from ? or other models like that preferably 29" MTB :P

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 03:25:14 PM »
You can always message me to buy the dual drive. We're not making it public due to legal issues...
Anyways I'll be in london from this year's september onwards so if anyone wants to cooperate or purchase from me, please do.

Offline dfmerrifield

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:17:32 PM »
  There is one thing that all bike racers will tell you. especially motor bike racers, your front breaks are the most important tool on your bike.
  If you went for any sort of racing classes and/or to school for mechanic's, the main tool in stopping your vehicle, of any sort, is your front breaks.

Don't let any one tell you that you should not use your front breaks at all.  They are the most important tool on your bike or car for safety.

Yes front/Disk are the best to use.  But you will always need your front number one.

Don

Offline MasterCATZ

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:54:51 AM »
and rerembers all the times the bike tossed me for hitting the fronts first ...

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 07:31:19 AM »
and rerembers all the times the bike tossed me for hitting the fronts first ...

LOL ouch.

Apply stopping power at about 3 parts front wheel and 2 parts back wheel for maximum stopping power.

And it depends on how much weight you have on the rear wheel too.  The more weight on the rear wheel the more you can rely upon it.

You cant say a beetle Volkswagen, Porsche's and Lamborghini's with motor on the rear wheels back brakes are not an important tool. They design the rear drives with motor in the boot compartment to gain maximum traction for their power train.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 02:40:05 PM »
You can always message me to buy the dual drive. We're not making it public due to legal issues...
Anyways I'll be in london from this year's september onwards so if anyone wants to cooperate or purchase from me, please do.

ICE Trail bikes have not lost sales because they are not street legal.

A lot of hub venders sell lots of "off road" kits legally and think nothing about it.

They label them as such "off road" so they disclaim buyers irresponsibility.

If you were to send me a Pie with 200 watts stamped on it that could do 34 kph at 36v I would be a very happy Aussie.

You know the deal here in Aussie land..   ;D

I reckon sell the dual pie bikes on the site and label them as off road.

1: It will boost the sales of the speed limited kits because new customers will want to stick to the laws.

2: The kits labeled as "Off road" kits sales will continue for those who want to ride off road or break the law, and or advanced enough to make the hub switch from street legal to off road.

Please do not feel its your responsibility to make your customers obey the laws.  You wont sleep at night worrying. :-\

Its your show Yuan.  But you know can dump all that liability at the door.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:42:39 PM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline MasterCATZ

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 11:03:09 AM »
agreed

rules that can not be broken can be twisted .. I say this because where I work we do more then bend the rules ...

off road kit sounds pretty good 2 HP to takle those nice mountain sides :P .. and tow that tractor trailer :P

but still going to throw on an cycle analist to limit my wattage ... if they ever do wanna run a test ... I do not see the local LAW enforfcement being trained on the use of an Multimetre