Author Topic: Springer fork with front wheel Magic Pie?  (Read 5487 times)

Offline Ryan

• Confirmed
Springer fork with front wheel Magic Pie?
« on: April 21, 2010, 03:33:00 AM »
I am building an electric beach cruiser.  Would it be safe to use a Magic Pie front wheel on a springer fork?

Offline Valy

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Springer fork with front wheel Magic Pie?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:09:05 AM »
hello I think it depends how long fork. you'll have problems if fork is long. and just brake.'s not easy to put brake on Springer and work well. that weight tends to rotate left or right fork. I took up this issue in my chopper when I had a long fork Springer. I had a wheel weight and had to change it with a light and went well after. I hope you got something I do not write English well ;D

Offline Eriknoort

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 08:38:43 AM »
If the springer fork is aluminium the tork on the axle will break the wheel mountings.
So be carefull

Offline Ryan

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:01:09 AM »
I am aware of the risks of using an aluminum or alloy front fork.  I will definitely use steel.  However there are many aftermarket springer forks (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Sun-27435-Fork-Springer-in/dp/B0011FUSS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1271908735&sr=8-1) and they are steel forks, but I just want to obtain feedback about the strength and safety of a springer fork like this with a Magic Pie.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 02:42:39 PM »

There are two main problems which I can see:

1) As Valy already pointed out, there is no provision for fitting a front brake. (Which I consider to be an essential item!)

2) Where the fork dropout and the compression stay both attach to the axle, they are designed to accept a standard round 10mm axle, so the elongated slots do not have to run parallel to each other. Unfortunately, the Magic Pie axle is 14mm diameter with 10mm wide flats, which would probably fit into the fork dropouts OK, but due to the different angles, it probably won't fit into compression stay slots at the same time, without filing the slotted hole to suit.  The chrome finish will make this more difficult and the amount that may need to be removed will also weaken the hole in the stay.

But that's just my opinion.  ;)

hello I think it depends how long fork. you'll have problems if fork is long. and just brake.'s not easy to put brake on Springer and work well. that weight tends to rotate left or right fork. I took up this issue in my chopper when I had a long fork Springer. I had a wheel weight and had to change it with a light and went well after. I hope you got something I do not write English well ;D

Valy, what you experienced is more to do with the rake of the forks causing a large caster angle.
Using longer forks usually means they are slanted back at a much greater angle, and this adversely effects the caster effect which is designed to make the front wheel self-centre,

If an imaginary line is drawn through the centre of the fork steering tube, it should strike the road just in front of the axle centre line.
 (see the attachment below)  If this line meets the ground in the right place (around 65mm in front of the axle, if my memory's correct), it should help to prevent the wheel from falling over to one side when you release the handlebars.

Alan

Offline Valy

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 09:51:12 PM »
ok  Alan I know but with my english ??? ??? ??? is hard to explain thank you anyway .

Offline Valy

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 09:58:45 PM »
hello rbuchman maybe you kan put some picture  with you work .maybe we kan help you and give you some advice ;D

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 02:30:54 AM »
A quality welding shop could address the slot angle issue
by re-enforcing the spring arm and putting a bend in it.

At the same time they could weld studs and a tube for
cantilevered brakes.

At least on the fork shown in the picture I would want a
re-enforcement plate where the gooseneck pin goes
through the fork down-tube.

Something like this could be welded on each side of the tube.