Author Topic: "how far does a 48V12AH battery go?  (Read 43184 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: "how far does a 48V12AH battery go?
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2010, 05:52:07 PM »
I'm sure about this ;) I just wanted to learn more about you experience with warranty issues! This will be very helpfull, thank you!

Bruno

Hi Bruno

Just for your refference. I had a few recent warranty issues. They went through the regular process of emailing Tom, Tom suggested a few tests. The results were given to Philip and he approved replacement in all issues. The replacement Items have been added to my next sea shipment. I can now replace the items with my customers taking the failed items back. I'll hold the failed items until a request from GM China to group ship them back for quality control and check.

To date,  my warranty issues have been resolved 100 percent of the time.

Gary

« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:20:17 PM by GM Canada »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2010, 07:59:46 AM »
I'm sure about this ;) I just wanted to learn more about you experience with warranty issues! This will be very helpfull, thank you!

Bruno

Hi Bruno

Just for your refference. I had a few recent warranty issues. They went through the regular process of emailing Tom, Tom suggested a few tests. The results were given to Philip and he approved replacement in all issues. The replacement Items have been added to my next sea shipment. I can now replace the items with my customers taking the failed items back. I'll hold the failed items until a request from GM China to group ship them back for quality control and check.

To date,  my warranty issues have been resolved 100 percent of the time.

Gary

We here get the feeling that the batteries are pretty reliable.

Is there any rough estimate based upon your current sales on the DOA percentage of these packs.  The consensus seems to be that all lithium energy storage manufacturers are making improvements all the time.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 08:01:23 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2010, 06:05:50 PM »

We here get the feeling that the batteries are pretty reliable.

Is there any rough estimate based upon your current sales on the DOA percentage of these packs.  The consensus seems to be that all lithium energy storage manufacturers are making improvements all the time.

This is my first battery issue. The batteries are very reliable, many people email me after purchasing a battery to tell me how impressed they are with the performance.

Gary

Offline dfmerrifield

• Confirmed
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2010, 03:53:39 PM »
A note for Tom:

I was thinking, they should have a "Depot" of some sort in North America, just for the sole purpose of warranty replacements.  To have customers "that already are patrons", and have to let them wait an undetermined amount of time for warranty issues is totally insane and just not right at all.  When ordering the kit at first, it's bad enough, and yet expected to wait for equipment when it is really a custom order of sorts.  But, to wait so long for replacements is an other story!  They really need to do something about it!

Try and tell someone that buys a car, TV or what ever from a store or dealer in Canada or U.S., that they have to wait for weeks, "or worse, longer" to get a replacement or just fixed and see what happens.  It is a real pain in the *## to have to wait so long for replacements.  The worse thing is sitting back and looking at my bike just collecting dust and she is just begging to go for a ride!

Anyway, Thanks for the wait!!  (Makes me feel like I am back in the Army again......FEverything there was hurry up and wait too! ::)

Don

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2010, 07:51:01 PM »
Sometimes it takes weeks just to get a reply in EMAIL from ANY of the US dealers.
You usually have to cc: EVERY GM dealer, including GM china, just to get a response within a WEEK?

I've sent 4 emails about a replacement controller I received which is NOT working properly.  Have I gotten even a reply back, that they even got the email? NO!

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2010, 09:13:35 AM »
Sometimes it takes weeks just to get a reply in EMAIL from ANY of the US dealers.
You usually have to cc: EVERY GM dealer, including GM china, just to get a response within a WEEK?

I've sent 4 emails about a replacement controller I received which is NOT working properly.  Have I gotten even a reply back, that they even got the email? NO!

I am sorry you are having such a hard time of it.

What is the story with this controller.  I know you're not going to be happy until your on the road.  Cant give up now. It must be something else wrong with your system.

Check all your connections,  Take your time.  Recheck and set the cables right.

Bring it on

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2010, 02:11:23 PM »

I am sorry you are having such a hard time of it.

What is the story with this controller.  I know you're not going to be happy until your on the road.  Cant give up now. It must be something else wrong with your system.

Check all your connections,  Take your time.  Recheck and set the cables right.
It's in an always on condition.
(i.e. The G wire doesn't even have to be connected for motor controller to run....)

What effect does this have?

TWOFOLD.

1.) I can't "turn off"  the bike, without disconnecting the battery.
2.) I can't set the alarm.

The fact that something is wrong is NOT the issue, but the length of time to fet a response out of anyone isw ridiculous.

Nothing is wrong with my connections, I've been working with electronics for 20+ years, and have a degree in physics. I  know when something is wrong on the hardware side or connection side.

Please stop saying that you think I keep missing something, or that I'm not being thorough enough.

Trust me I know what I'm doing.

I make sure I check everything THREE times before going into "ok, something is wrong with the hardware" mode.

I shouldn't have to fix this stuff myself, especially when it's directly from the factory like this and UNTESTED BEFORE being sent out.

So unless you have anything USEFUL to add, please don't reply.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2010, 10:37:08 AM »

Rude! Leslie is one of the top people that help out people in this forum. Maybe you should post your credentials first when you write a message. That way people won't start with the simple approach before going into more detailed tests. Why would anyone want to help you now?

I answer every email everyday and most within an hour. If this is not true I'm sure someone here would dispute it. This is just another exaggeration of many I have seen in your posts. You have never CC'd or emailed me other then to complain about shipping costs and how dealing directly with the factory is better. How is that going for you anyway?

Gary

Offline AlDk

• Confirmed
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2010, 11:32:26 AM »

I'm impressed with the "double" battery - putting them in parallel to get double amps. How is this done and can you decide for each trip wether you want to bring one or both?

Can you also put two 24V in serial to get 48V and then still choose whether you want to bring one or both batteries on a trip - or would this be dumb?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Series - Parallel battery switching
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2010, 03:44:07 PM »
I'm impressed with the "double" battery - putting them in parallel to get double amps. How is this done and can you decide for each trip wether you want to bring one or both?

Can you also put two 24V in serial to get 48V and then still choose whether you want to bring one or both batteries on a trip - or would this be dumb?

If both batteries are the same voltage and Ah rating, they can be connected in series or parallel and can be easily switched using a heavy duty double pole double throw switch as shown here:

When switched to parallel mode, either of the batteries could be removed if required.

Different Ah batteries can be used in parallel as long as they are the same type and voltage, but it is not such a good idea to run them in series, as the smaller capacity battery will run down much quicker.

Different voltage batteries of similar Ah ratings can be used in series, but not parallel.

I have found that regenerative braking produces more Amps, is much more aggressive and reduces your speed a lot more using 24V than it does with 48V, so simply switching voltages also allows two different levels of regen to be used.
(Unfortunately regen is not an option with minihubs)

Hopefully that answers your not so dumb question. ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:13:30 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2010, 03:04:27 AM »

Rude! Leslie is one of the top people that help out people in this forum. Maybe you should post your credentials first when you write a message. That way people won't start with the simple approach before going into more detailed tests. Why would anyone want to help you now?

I answer every email everyday and most within an hour. If this is not true I'm sure someone here would dispute it. This is just another exaggeration of many I have seen in your posts. You have never CC'd or emailed me other then to complain about shipping costs and how dealing directly with the factory is better. How is that going for you anyway?

Gary

Looks its alright Gary.  This man is feeling pretty bad ATM and the post shows his frustration with his situation.  Its like the big tough biker getting all agro because he was called girly.  The two contradict.  He didnt post anything that should get me upset.  There is a lot worse things people have said and done to me.

Sangesf is a nice person feeling very bad about his purchase, otherwise his post would be much worse.

I think you are a nice person too Gary.  My GM dealer in Australia was the same.  Helpful and doing it for the industry in the hope that his efforts towards EV tech will lead to a better cleaner future..

It is hard for good people in the EV industry to get anywhere and I hand respect to those who take on this challenge and give it their best.   This is why I support GM and the dealers in the hope their companies will thrive and place much competition on the oil industries.

The method of extracting oil and transporting it has reached its redline.  The ships are getting ridiculously large.  The demand is outsourcing humans ability to provide.  Its not even a question of how much oil there is left, or how much is it creating carbon emission's.  It's about what happens when a oil tanker sinks or a pipe ruptures..  The amount in cargo theses days is over what is safe for the environment and no mistakes can be made ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_oil_spill

The latest spill looks like it going to compare the intentional spill caused in Kuwait by Iraq army.  One ooops in Mexico = a deliberate attempt to destroy and entire oil field in Kuwait.

Ok back on topic.

This guy wants a working wheel.  When maybe after a break we can discuss the new controller and possibly his throttle.

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2010, 03:56:16 AM »
You know what, I'm thinking about it now and I guess I can understand lashing out. It just seemed kind of rude and at home here I always stand up for my "Bros". But then when i'm angry and feel taken advantage of I lash out, it just seemed like a cheap shot and didnt seem acceptable to me.

Gary

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2010, 05:22:36 AM »
You know what, I'm thinking about it now and I guess I can understand lashing out. It just seemed kind of rude and at home here I always stand up for my "Bros". But then when i'm angry and feel taken advantage of I lash out, it just seemed like a cheap shot and didnt seem acceptable to me.

Gary

Its all good Gary.  Ive lashed out myself and stood up in for my Bros too.  Its good that we can create a community that isn't so precious yet respectable.

His post wasn't over the top but did indicate the frustration he is experience.

Either way he needs this assistance, and I am sure we can sort it all out.

You got to put yourself in front of his bike and understand the mess he is in ATM.  I think I have had more failures learning this than the average user.

I spent weeks browsing the forums and learning before I would even ask a question.  

In fact this is the very first post I did in any EV forum about the subject.

Recently I’ve been experimenting with ultra caps, they charge ultra fast and seem to have enough capacity to at least hold more than a few regen brake charges.  One main problem is that capacitors in series divide the farads by amount of caps to an average.  EG. 5X@55farad in series = 11 farads which is a bummer really.  A good balance system between each leg of the capacitors may improve the situation.

Look, at the moment Im just playing around with super caps, leds and USB switch phase charging.  Caps do not charge like batteries and a good fast switch phase or pure DC feed is the best way to charge these suckers.

My guess is that Ultra caps is the best answer to the regen efficiency loses and you can take advantage of the regen with the next pull on the throttle.

There is a site called http://www.batcap.net these are very specialized audio capacitors banks that can charge and discharge at extremely fast rates with phenomenal current passage in both directions.  Normal super caps would burn out in audio applications, however regen IMO is not so dependant on the terminals being so big chunky.  These bat cap things by the look are already balanced and a few small banks IMO opinion would be plenty enough to improve regen to over 80% (pulling figures out of the air) but prolly 99.999% improvements ;).

one idea that comes to mind even a regen mod that charges 30 X 1 farad 5v caps set in paralell and placed in series bumping up to a 5v over volt and use the potential storage as an overvolt.  Im pretty sure that the current that each can handle is around one amp and 30 farads with out doing the math is more than acceptable for regen, those batcaps plenty more ;P.

What happena when the 5v potential is used?

This mod would have to be patched into the controllers regen system as after the VDC main input so that the batteries are isolated from the caps during regen.  Then when the potential is used the controller isolates the caps until next regen brake....

Maybe a little involved but none the less it would work very well if built into the system as default and an upgrage optional regen pack to connect to the controller would at least validate and dignify the regen..

I think I made every mistake under the sun before this post and used these forums to help fix my bike.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 01:49:43 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline dfmerrifield

• Confirmed
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2010, 03:55:04 PM »
Hey Gary

This one works like the old one did when I first got it but, goes a bit further.  The old one is bad!  Try it out and see.  It will seem OK when you first start out but then the thing just drops and no distance nor power.  By the end I was only getting 5 to 6 miles and that is pedaling most of the way and only getting 18 to 20 mph at the max then drop off and lucky to see 11 mph.  If I would stop for a 5 or so min. break the battery would rejuvinate it self and go a short distance then shut off again.

The new one is running great.  I tried it out Saturday and went to town that's 11 miles round trip.  After I got home the full light was just going dull.  After sitting here for 25 to 30 min. I decided to see if it would go a round trip again.  Tried it and got most of the way back.  She died about 2 or so miles from home so I got 19.5 or so miles out of her.  Pretty good I thought! and that was pushing her at full throttle to see how she would act.  I am going to try her out again and stay at about 20 mph and see how far she will go.  Then I want to try changing my tires back to my old ones as see what happens.  If better, good and if not, well I will just have to put these ones back on.  But, I think these new tires I had put on have a bit more road resistance so, I'm gonna try as see what happens.

Tomorrow I am going to the other town that is 20 miles round trip and stay at 20 mph and see how she acts and let you know how it goes.  Then I will change my tires and let you know how it went after that.

Anyway all is well and I am very happy with the new battery.  There is a very, very ,very big difference than the old one and that's for sure.

Thanks for all the help

Don
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 04:17:20 PM by dfmerrifield »

Offline dfmerrifield

• Confirmed
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2010, 04:00:09 PM »
Oh yeah Gary, I for got something.

I wasn't thinking when I had to go to the post office and pick up the new battery and just grabbed the old one and didn't bring the second key for it.  I will mail it to you the next time I am in town so you have it.  I have no use for it!

Don