Author Topic: "how far does a 48V12AH battery go?  (Read 42984 times)

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: "how far does a 48V12AH battery go?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 06:33:24 PM »
Well written Don,

Now we just have to figure out at what point the BMS kicks out the batteries. The BMS does not let you drain the batteries completely. I believe the BMS only allows you to use about 75-80 percent of your power before kicking out to protect the battery. I beleive it works by voltage which I thought was around 38 volts but read somewhere it is at 42 volts. Anyone know what percentages or voltages the BMS kicks out at?

Gary

It depends on the battery.

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/6645-assembled-fechtergoodrum-lifepo4-bmss-available

We're using a 2.1V low volt trip point for A123 Systems, PSI, Headway, and other cylindrical cells and 2.7V for Thunder Sky and other large format cells. 2.5V LVC will be an option for large format cells once the back-ordered parts arrive.

LiMN

Description
Safe chemistry LiMN 3.7V rechargeable battery is now available in 18650 size. These cells can handle high amperage and is safe to use in series / multi-cell applications. Can be charge with any LiIon battery charger with 4.2V output.

Specifications:
Nominal Voltage : 3.7V
Capacity : 1600mAH
Lowest Discharge Voltage : 2.50V

How many series cells do the 12ah packs have?

Multiply it by 2.5v.

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 11:02:58 AM »
Thanks Leslie

That certainly clears things up, hmm Huh? You guys certainly do get technical on me sometimes. Thats ok, it's not your fault, I'm just not as tech savy as others.

I was thinking more about Don's problem. I have 3 GM ebikes, a a 48v1000w Joy Ebike, a 48v1000w schwinn hybrid conversion and a 36v500w kranked mountain bike conversion. Normally in my experience I find that when the power is running low the controller BMS kicks out when you go below a certain voltage on a hard pressed throttle at take off. This is usually my first indication it is time to head home. I then ease the throttle at take off peddling. I can go along way using this method and always get home. In Don's situation it seems his battery BMS kicks out before the controller BMS does. It seems like he is still above the voltage threashold of the controller BMS, but one of his cells has caused the battery BMS to kick out. He never gets the chance to ease the throttle to get himself home. He is just dead on the road.

Am I thinking correctly?

Gary
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:50:07 PM by GM Canada »

Offline Bernie

• Confirmed
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2010, 07:07:14 AM »
I've had a 24Volt on a MP fitted to an old 70c Ladies Bike for about two months. I'm a portly 108 Kg and every night I ride it down to my sports club to guzzle a few beers and exchange a few lies with my mates. Journey is a hilly two miles each way. Upon returning I put it on the charger and it takes exactly 1.5 Hours (90 minutes) to charge up. I can set my clock by it. The charger gets extremely warm too. The furthest I've ridden it is about 10 miles, very hilly and it went dead at half a mile from home. I'd like more range, but that's a battery thing, not the MP.

I'm extremely happy with my MP, it's fun, it's cheap and mine has not missed a beat since I've put it together, in fact I'd bet the thing would still be doing the same thing years from now!

Bernie

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 07:09:38 AM »
Ive got this little 500 watt brush controller that limits the throttle in LVC,  You can still ride the bike until the bike is lucky to get 3 kph but the pack voltage wont go lower than the set amount.

It strange as the pack gets flat.  You can pedal the thing up to speed and it will hold it for some time.

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 07:26:08 AM »
I've had a 24Volt on a MP fitted to an old 70c Ladies Bike for about two months. I'm a portly 108 Kg and every night I ride it down to my sports club to guzzle a few beers and exchange a few lies with my mates. Journey is a hilly two miles each way. Upon returning I put it on the charger and it takes exactly 1.5 Hours (90 minutes) to charge up. I can set my clock by it. The charger gets extremely warm too. The furthest I've ridden it is about 10 miles, very hilly and it went dead at half a mile from home. I'd like more range, but that's a battery thing, not the MP.

I'm extremely happy with my MP, it's fun, it's cheap and mine has not missed a beat since I've put it together, in fact I'd bet the thing would still be doing the same thing years from now!

Bernie

What type of 24v batteries do you have and how big are they?

How fast do you go.

A larger wheel is going to consume more power but may go a little faster on lower volts than a small wheel.  

More volts will make you go faster and to a certain level, 12v up from 24v may get you a little further too.

10 miles on a small 24v pack using a 700c pie wheel sounds close enough.  I could get 14 miles on a little 24v 12ah 200 watt brushed bike.  I suspect you have a 16ah battery.

It is my opinion Another 24v 12ah battery in parrallel on your 700c Pie wheel would get you a little more than double distance.

Do you want more volts (speed) or more (amp hours) distance.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:33:08 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline dfmerrifield

• Confirmed
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 06:07:08 PM »
Hey Gary

In case you didn't get your full answer on the cut of point for the battery packs, here is a quick run down.  (I was too lazy to do it earlier?)

Golden Moter uses 3.8V-4Ah cells in their packs.

48V12Ah = 12Ah / 4.0Ah per cell = 3 cells/cell packs.
                48V / 3.8V per cell = 12.63 cells/cell packs.  They would most likely use 13 to even things out plus the BMS takes 1 volt away before the voltage passes through to the outlet plug.
                13 cells X 3 cells = 39 total cells.
                13 total cells per pack X 2.5V (the minimum discharge voltage per cell) = 32.5V minimum discharge per cell pack.

36V16Ah = 16Ah / 4.0Ah per cell = 4 cells/cell packs.
                36V / 3.8V per cell = 9.47 cell/cells packs.  (As above, 10 cells).
                10 cells X 4 cells = 40 total cells.
                10 total cells per pack X 2.5V (the minimum discharge voltage per cell) = 25.0V minimum discharge per cell pack.

You can verify this my checking the total voltage after a full charge of your battery.
48V battery = 4.2V (maximum charge per cell) X 13 cells (total cells per pack) = 54.6 volts at full charge.  Hence: "The 48 volt battery charger charges at 54.6 volts."

As we can see, the 48V12Ah gets to shut down at the minimum of 32.5 Volts and the 36V16Ah gets it at 25.0 Volts.  Now, the BMS that they use and have set up, may be set to shut down a couple of volts higher than that to insure the safety of their batteries.  I tried to measure the kick out voltage on mine, but with a bad cell the BMS is going to measure the voltage of all cells.  If one is bad and reading lower than the others, the BMS is going to kick out according to the lowest cell/block/pack.  Mine was kicking out a 37 and 38 volts.  But this is reading at the plug, outside the BMS.  With these voltages, we know that the BMS is kicking out much closer to the above voltages.

I have searched all through GM to find their settings for the full battery packs, but to no avail.  But, in my endeavor to find the settings, I seen that most other companies have their BMS's kicking out at an average of 1.5 to 2 volts above the minimum discharge rate and a couple are pushing it nice and close to the above.  Below are the full spec's of the battery cells that Golden Motor uses to figure out the settings for the other battery packs.

Hope that helps
Don
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:46:10 PM by dfmerrifield »

Offline dfmerrifield

• Confirmed
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 06:31:34 PM »
Here are the full spec's on the cells used by Golden Motor.  They have no spec's on their full Battery Packs but, with a little math you can figure it out.

Lithium Ion Battery Cell

Product Details

Place of Origin     Jiangsu, China (Mainland)
Brand Name        GoldenMotor
Model Number     26650
Type                 Li-Ion
Application         Electric Vehicles
Size                  65mm
Voltage             3.8V
Weight              92g

Detailed Product Description

highest energy density
cell level safe design
cell weight: 92g only!!
long lifespan
Lithium ion rechargeable battery, 26650 size, LiPF6 electrolyte, Manganese Spinel structure cathode.
High energy density lithium ion battery cell.
Cell capacity: 3.8V 4AH
Cell diameter: 26.24 ± 0.16 mm (top end), 26.16 ± 0.10 mm (bottom end)
Cell height: 65.05 + 0.10/-0.15 mm
Cell weight: 92g

Cell specifications

1a. Rated charge(4A) Limiting 4.0 A, 120 min and constant 4.2V charge at 23±2°C.
1b. Recommended charge Reference 1a

2. Rated discharge Constant 0.8 A discharge until 2.5V at 23±2°C.

3. Rated capacity 4.0Ah Minimum of rated discharge capacity after recommended
charge.

4. Nominal voltage 3.8V Mean voltage during rated discharge after rated charge.

5. Shipping voltage 4.03±0.01V Nominal. Approximate state of charge = 80%.

6. Internal resistance at shipping 23±1 m? By AC 1 kHz.

7. End of charge voltage 4.20 ± 0.05V

8. End of discharge voltage 2.5V.  Discharge voltage used for determination of rated
capacity.

9. Charging time 120min Rated charge.

10. Maximum continuous charging current 6.5A
Maximum continuous discharging current 10A
Maximum pulse discharging current 40A

11. Operating temperature
Charging 0 ~ 45°C
Discharging -20 ~ 60°C

12. Storage temperature
-20 ~ 60°C
Recommended temperature for long term storage is
23±2°C

13. Shelf life 6 months Typical value at 23±2°C, from ship state.

14. Self-discharge rate /month ?0.5%

For Your Reference
Don
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:48:57 PM by dfmerrifield »

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 08:48:10 PM »
10. Maximum continuous charging current 6.5A Maximum continuous discharging current 10A Maximum pulse discharging current 40A

This means that for a 12Ah battery you have:
  • maximum continuos discharge 30A
  • maximum pulse discharge 120A

And for a 16Ah
  • maximum continuos discharge 40A
  • maximum pulse discharge 160A

The charge rate it is important to keep low so the life cicle is extended, I know that the regenerative is limited to 5A, but not sure about this number.

My watt meter shows me that with my pie the maximum current is 30A with is ok! Nice to know!

But without use my battery discharge much more than 0.5%, not sure how much, but is more. This could be because of the BMS system?

Offline dfmerrifield

• Confirmed
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 02:33:46 AM »
Hey Bruno

The calculations don't work out the same way for Max pulse discharge.

* maximum continuos discharge 30A
    * maximum pulse discharge 120A

And for a 16Ah

* maximum continuous discharge 40A
    * maximum pulse discharge 160A

The charge rate it is important to keep low so the life cicle is extended, I know that the regenerative is limited to 5A, but not sure about this number.

My watt meter shows me that with my pie the maximum current is 30A with is ok! Nice to know!

But without use my battery discharge much more than 0.5%, not sure how much, but is more. This could be because of the BMS system?

For;  Max Continuous current, Max Continuous discharge current and Max Charge current, the calculations are totally different.

Using their spec's, I have an average of what they have after the BMS "which is off the wall" .  But, after comparing with all their "sayings", is's 'ahhh' close.

Remember their are somethings you can not compound because of "series or parallel" configurations.

For instance;  #C X mah / 1000 = Total Max current Discharge current (Amps).  (This is before it has gone through the BMS).

Just remember, the BMS restricts the current in more ways than most can think of.

I think it was you who said:   "you were getting 30A max off of your system on a 16 Ah battery".  Well, with the proper calculations for their cells, the actual Max Continuous is only +/-40A for a 16Ah and +/-30A For a 12Ah (This is using actual calculations, not GM's).  If this the fact, you are getting just under what you are suppose to be getting, which is good, 'cause like me, you don't want to run your battery at the max and damage the thing.

Now, they advertise their ratings at and come out to be 1.625C for Max Continuous charging = 6.5 Amps charge current,  2.5C Max Continuous discharge and 10C Max pulse discharge.  But, after searching all the spec's on their cells, the actual is: 1 - 1.5C for Max Charge Current = 4 -5 Amps Max charge Current, 2C for Max Continuous Discharge and 5C for Max Continuous Pulse Discharge.

This being, it would make your diagnosis above, one half (1/2) " give or take a few", lower than "MAX DISCHARGE CURRENT".

"Just because you have a long series of batteries at a certain current for recharge, don't mean you want to charge it fast with a lot of current just because you want to. To do so, could possibly damage the cells and will lower the longevity of the battery."  (This was just because of a lot of posts all over the place for those who want to charge fast.)  The slower the charge, the longer the charge will last and mainly the longer the battery life.)

Don
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 04:11:42 PM by dfmerrifield »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 12:44:11 AM »
Sorry Bruno

But the calculations don't work the same way.

* maximum continuos discharge 30A
    * maximum pulse discharge 120A

And for a 16Ah

* maximum continuos discharge 40A
    * maximum pulse discharge 160A

For;  Max Continuous current, Max Continuous discharge current and Max Charge current, the calculations are totally different.

Using their spec's, I have an average of what they have after the BMS "which is off the wall" .  But, after comparing with all their "sayings", is's 'ahhh' close.

Remember their are somethings you can not compound because of "series or parallel" configurations.

For instance;  #C X mah / 1000 = Total Max current Discharge current (Amps).  (This is before it has gone through the BMS).

Just remember, the BMS restricts the current in more ways than most can think of.

I think it was you who said:   "you were getting 30A max off of your system on a 12 Ah battery".  Well, with the proper calculations for their cells, the actual Max Continuous  is only +/-40A for a 16Ah and =/-30A For a 12AhA, MOST LIKEY A LOT MORE - (This is using actual calculations, not GM's).  If this the fact, you are getting exactly what you are suppose to be getting.
 If you are getting 30A on your bike, then you are with in the "Max Area" of the pulse with-drawl of the battery.  Due to the settings of the BMS you are just hitting outside the Max Continuous Discharge and are using more power than you should be really using and more power than you may really want to be using in total wattage/amps to conserve power for distance.

Now, they advertise their ratings at and come out to be 1.625C for Max Continuous charging = 6.5 Amps charge current,  2.5C Max Continuous discharge and 10C Max pulse discharge.  But after searching all the spec's on their cells, the actual is: 1 - 1.5C for Max Charge Current = 4 -5 Amps Max charge Current, 2C for Max Continuous Discharge and 5C for Max Continuous Pulse Discharge.

This being, it would make your diagnosis above, one half (1/2) " give or take a few", lower than "MAX DISCHARGE CURRENT".

"Just because you have a long series of batteries at a certain current for recharge, don't mean you want to charge it fast with a lot of current just because you want to. To do so, will lower the longevity of the battery.  ( This was just because of a lot of posts all over the place for those who want to charge fast.)  The slower the charge, the longer the charge will last and mainly the longer the battery will last'.

Totally too tired tonight to give you the spec's. (Helped a friend move Thurs. and Fri. + my couple of side jobs today).

I will in the morning.

Don

One should should stick close to energy density and watts IMO.

Any given pack can only take so many watts and high temperature of pack damages the cells.

Lithium energy density approximates to 460wh per KG including and internal resistance you might land 440 watts out.

440 watts / 3.2v = 136 amps =  per KG and 13 amps per 100 grams.

A 4 ah cells weighs approx 100 g and a 12 ah cell should output 4x13= 52 amps. This equates to less than 13 mins of run time, and as the cell discharges the internal resistance increases creating a higher voltage drop thus causing the cell to LVC  and have unnecessary damage..

Voltage is not definable by any thing than the resistance that it travels along Really the smallest volt = infinite @ zero resistance and this explains why ion propulsion can propel objects at light speed in the presence of very little resistance or a vacuum.

Charging is the not the same thing..

You can charge a cell at 3.2v a 1 amp.  32v @ 100ma 320v @ 10ma and so on.  

As long as you do not exceed the rated end voltage and charge wattage the cell will enjoy a long cycle life.  This is how cells charging ability should be measured in watts not anything else IMO.

Cells degrade from heat.

There is no science around centigrade or Fahrenheit other one was the boiling point of water and another the flash point of paper.  Its about time we made our own constant here.  Every material inside the battery in the line of charge has resistance or lack of it creating a solid circuit. You could even look at each cell like a light bulb with 40 milliohm resistance producing heat.

4ah 100 gram cell
Cell discharged =2.4v,
Cell rests at 3.2v,
Floats at 3.4v

Cell resting = 0 watts = no heat

Floats at 3.4v @ 160ma

A typical cell cycle discharged @ 70% = 2.4v and charging on bulk 3.6v @ 1.6 amp charge = 1.2v over potential @ 1.6A = 1.92 watts between the 100gram plates.

But

About .4 ohm resistance per cell @ 3.6v will allow 9 amps into the 100 gram cell and with the 1.2v over potential = 10.8 watts.

If the cell heats to 35c with 2 watts how much will it heat at 11 watts.  Linear model suggests 7 times the heat at 9 amps bringing cell temp over 70 degrees C this is way already too hot.  

Cells are insulated and like military spec dictates more than double you ratings. With the heat no where to go heat pools up so 70c heads way over 140 degrees. OOOZE of stank and smokin.  This is why charging is slower.

More about discharge

On the above math a 4 ah at 70% cell can produce 8.96 watts per hour per cell.  A charged 12ah cell will produce 25 watts per cell.  15 12ah cells to 70% dod will produce 403 watts.

At 100% discharge (dead cell) it equates to 12.8 watts per 4 ah cell X 3 parallel = 38.4 watts X 15 series cells (48v pack) =  576 watts

To test if I got it right. 48X12ah = 576 watts.

I nailed this one.

However getting accurate charging specs needs to be worked on the materials used in the battery and is way more complicated than I want to work out the physics to ATM.  

The battery life.

As the battery gets older so to the charge rating should change.  Even on a hot or cold day you can milk the most out your pack if you know everything there is about what is going on.

In the hot summer you could limit the voltage per cell by .07v and by .1.  Around 3.5v on a really hot day.  In the cold you could push the cell to 3.7v.

You could go a 3.4v float charge at 10 amps and watch the current drop to 1 amp when its charged.

I used a 72v homemade voltage doubler on my 48v pack.  I limited the volts to float at 54v with a regulator, and it pulled 3 amps from 72v supply @ 2.5 amps.  My battery was full charged in almost the same time.  Placing the charger I bought over the pack proved it was full as the light went green immediately.

High current at constant float voltages. This is the safest way to charge as you can not ever exceed the cell voltage.    Even if you give the the pack 20 amps will not draw any more current than it needs to stay at float but when the battery is flat it will draw as much as you want to give it.

Constant current at bulk voltages is safe as long as the charger is a good one.  

I think lithium charges fast with constant current charging and better with constant voltage.  Many charger designers use both to maintain cycle life while fast charging.

Be careful charging too slow at bulk voltage mode at low amps as the battery can hang at 3.6v for too long and get warm and if electrolyte vents anything you lose life fast..

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 01:06:09 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline dfmerrifield

• Confirmed
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 03:17:28 AM »
Finally!!!

Got my OK today for the replacement of my bad battery.

I can't wait to see how my MP actually is suppose to run with a good battery.  LMAO!!

Thanks again Gary!!!

Don

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2010, 10:24:13 AM »
Nice to know!!

As I said, sometimes it takes some time but they always solve warranty problemas  ;D

Offline dfmerrifield

• Confirmed
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2010, 03:31:53 AM »
LMAO

Offline dfmerrifield

• Confirmed
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2010, 03:54:18 AM »
It also depends on who your dealer is too!

Don

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2010, 02:46:25 PM »

Thanks again Gary!!!

No problem Don, You deserve a replacement. Now we just have to get it to you :)

Gary