Author Topic: "Fuel" guage  (Read 5321 times)

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
"Fuel" guage
« on: April 20, 2010, 12:40:18 AM »
    Hello all , This should maybe a message just for Alan AKA Bikemad . I thought it wight help someone else too so thats why I'm posting it as a question ...

Alan was good enough to send me a fix for the guage problem when using higher voltages than needed ... Which is ...24?? Volts ..

Here's part of his reply which leads me to my question ....

Quote from: Bikemad
Trim Potentiometers (small preset variable resistors) are usually easy enough to get hold of from most electronic component suppliers.
Failing that, try this eBay link for a suitable resistor for the 36V gauge running on 48V.

For very fine adjustment, a multi turn trimmer can be used instead of the single turn trim pot.

If all three light come on using just two 12V batteries, it will be a 24V gauge and will need a much higher resistance for 48V use. If this is the case, something like this 2.2K Preset should do the job nicely.

So .... I got one of the potentiometers .. It has 3 places to connect to on the bottom .. very small wires .. I think I just need 2 so which 2 do You hook up to .. Here's a picture of it from the top . Very small item... I used the close up lens but it's still a little blury ..I looks like there's a "code" on top of the part .. 3 on one end of a squiggly line with 1 on the other end and an Arrow or pointer mark in the middle.. Here's the picture. Thanks for any help you can give .. Yet again Alan to the rescue .. Thank You , Don J.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 12:55:20 AM by Bikemad »

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: "Fuel" guage
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 01:16:05 AM »

I found a better picture .... Thinking the middle post goes to ground and the other 2 go inline to a wire goin to the battery level guage .??? Maybe .. Even if that's correct I don't know which wire to put it in line on .. Hope this picture helps .. Thanks Again , Don J.

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 02:27:04 AM »
You will use only two pins of the potentiometer, the middle and any one of the other two.

There are 5 wires from the throttle, 3 are for the throttle itself and the other 2 for the gauge. These 2 are directly conected to the battery itself and one of them, I think that is the green one that you will pass trhough the potentiometer middle and other pin.

Then, you will set to have the correct response.

Please someone correct me if i'm wrong!!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 11:11:24 AM »
Don,
Bruno is correct, the green wire on the throttle control must be cut, so that one end can be soldered to the centre pin, and the other end to either of the outer pins.

The voltage can be adjusted by turning the screw, but you will have to find out whether the gauge voltage increases or decreases with clockwise rotation of the screw, because this will be dependant upon which outer pin you have used.
(I think pin 3 might be better, so that turning the adjuster clockwise should increase the voltage)

For a starting point with a 48V battery, adjust the trimmer until you have approx 75% of the battery reading for a 36V gauge, or 50% for a 24V gauge. If you're using a 36V battery, adjust the trimmer until you have approx 66% of the battery reading for a 24V gauge.

Unscrewing the adjuster should make the gauge lights go out sooner, assuming pin 3 is the correct one. ;)

A bit of trial and error may be required to get it to work just right.

I hope that's made it a bit clearer.

Alan

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 12:22:34 PM by Bikemad »

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 04:02:21 AM »

Thank you 2 for the help . It makes it clear now . Off work tomorrom and will try to do this little project ..

I'm hoping this post might help someone else too .. 

Thanks Again , Don J.