Author Topic: Adding a little more 'magic'...  (Read 11984 times)

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Adding a little more 'magic'...
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 01:23:03 AM »

Ps. Anyone else from the UK enjoying cruising at 'ahem, 15mph officer, cough-cough'!

Maybe we both missed something.

15mph on a 48v pack is a little, should I say a bit limited.

You may be stuck on the 15mph speed for a while until we can figure out how to get into the software of the controller change the European law regarding the acceptable maximum speed of an eBike.

When you up the speed in the software don't abide by the law you should get around and about 26mph on a 48v pack.

Leslie, you did miss something, the actual speed is hiding behind the implied 15mph top speed! ;)

Alan

What the?  LOL, actual speed behind what?  Now I am missing something.

Ok Ill take it that the OP has no limit on the bike or something.  And there is no law against modifying firmware,  No debate with me on the subject of European regulations either.  People would be pedaling past you at 15mph.  

I even think I can pedal my steal framed tank with 5 X 7kg SLA (35kg) batteries on it faster than 15mph..

Bring it on

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 01:26:59 AM »
Some idiot, know nothing in Europe was given the task to make the ebike laws and walked into a retailer and asked about safety and wrote it all down and now every ebiker in europe has to go slower than some old men can pedal.

Bring it on

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 01:14:07 AM »

I would like to up to 72v 12ah, for two reasons, the first been doing the round trip on one charge again and also a few more mph! - I was wondering if you could help with a few Q's

Hi Martin

After re-reading this thread I just realized you don't just want to farther but you want to go faster. Two 48v12ah batteries in paralell won't make you go faster, but it does allow you to go full speed further. My treck to work is ten miles up hill and downhill back. I used to do it on a 36v500 with one 36v16 ah battery with alot of peddling and gentle thumb work on the throttle ( my weight is a serious factor in this equasion, but we are not discussing that). Then I upgraded it to a 48v1000 watt and a 48v12ah battery. It was faster but still alot of peddling and gentle throttle. Now I have two 48v12ah batteries fly full throttle both ways and sit back and drink my coffee!

Enjoy the ride!
Gary

Offline martin

• Confirmed
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 06:13:26 PM »
Hi Gary - excellent, and don't spill your coffee on that hard-tail of yours!

I'm kinda in the same position as you were, just tempted instead of just upping the Ah via another battery, to gain more miles and more speed in one hit... I'm very new at this but here is what (after all the discussions here) I would like to try....

Adding a 24v 12ah li ion battery  to my (existing) 48v 12ah.
replace my frets to 100v tolarance or similar.
Adding a resister to my throttle for the battery LED's
(lastly and a very maybe, beefing up the foil traces)

I'm guessing this will give a bit more oomph and a bit more distance.  Have I missed a trick anywhere in regards to what I need to do? Any more advice from anyone would be gratefully appreciated (and my apologies to GM for planning to bast*rdise a perfect good motor!)

Gary, as I see it, my car can do a 130mph, just nice to have the option of going fast on my bike if I feel like it! (not that I do, gas is over £6 a gallon here now!)

Many thanks all.

Offline electrorocket

• Confirmed
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 08:04:42 PM »
I have recently purchased a Magic Pie, and had the same thinking... how much will it take. I built a pack using LiFePo4 packs sourced from my other passion, RC Aircraft. The packs are 3s 9.9V 4.5Ah. I assembled 5 packs in series, to get 49.5V. No problems. I have since assembled a pack using 2s pack, looking to get just that little bit more.... The battery core V is 52.8V , fully charged 67.2V. Bummer. That brings me to my next issue, how do I open the pie to hook up an external controller?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 08:05:03 PM »
Martin,

Don't forget that you still need to overcome the 60V maximum limit so that the motor will actually work on 72V!

I have no idea how simple or complicated that will be.

Alan

Offline martin

• Confirmed
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 09:41:32 PM »
Hi BikeMad - Oh, are you saying there is a 'physical' limit of 60v? I never realised this, I just thought you couldn't add any more voltage as melt down/cut-out would occur. does this mean my grand ideas are dashed to dust, and I should be happy with the (very, almost) perfect Magic Pie as it is?

Hi electrorocket - hmmm nice try with your pocket aerospace mechanics... I noticed this thread, "General Category > Magic Pie Discussions > more power from the pie" Mr Hardcore mentioned an internal controller of 90v - As a fresher, I too would like to know how you hook it up!

MP2 controller, any ETA on this, sure would make my life easier if I wasn't so impatient!

MP = Massive Potential
MP = Mega Propulsion
MP = Monster Power
MP = Melting Point (well, hopefully not)
MP2 = Must Purchase 2(day)!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 60V maximum limit
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 10:54:05 PM »
Are you saying there is a 'physical' limit of 60v? I never realised this, I just thought you couldn't add any more voltage as melt down/cut-out would occur. does this mean my grand ideas are dashed to dust, and I should be happy with the (very, almost) perfect Magic Pie as it is?

I'm sure I mentioned this before:

Unfortunately the current Magic Pies are limited to 60V max.
I tried to run mine on a 16 cell LiPo pack (15 good cells and 1 which had simply died), but the 61.63V being supplied was too high, and the Pie simply refused to work!

If the 60V maximum limit is exceeded, the battery gauge still works, but the motor does absolutely nothing when the throttle is operated!

The 60V maximum limit is presumably there to ensure the FETs live a long and happy life, by not being overvolted.
(I think using regen without having a battery connected may be the reason why this protection was added.)

I don't know whether the HVP is hardware or software controlled, but I do know that it works. ;)

So it looks like you'll just have to make do with 48V, unless you replace the existing controller for a higher voltage one.
(Or purchase a Pie II when they become available).

Alan

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:55:51 PM by Bikemad »