Author Topic: Duh !! New Dumb Question From Don  (Read 5296 times)

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Duh !! New Dumb Question From Don
« on: April 03, 2010, 03:10:03 AM »

Hello , I was looking at the wide tire Alan had mounted on his bike in 1 of his posts and started thinking I'd like wider tires for the holding power ..

I have been looking thru "stuff" on the web and now see that there might be some restrictions on what size I can get on this rim ?? I have the 700 size Magic Pie Rim and am now using the stock 700 X 380 size tires that came with the bike ..

It looks like there's plenty of room in the frame and forks but I,m not sure how wide the tire can be that will fit the wheel / rim ???

Any suggestions will surely be appreciated .. Don J.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Wide tyres for 700c rims
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 12:43:44 PM »
using the stock 700 X 380 size tires that came with the bike ..

Don, the 380 is probably the weight, as all the tyres I've seen have widths between 28 and 47mm (19-23mm for tubeless), you might want to check your tyres again to see if you can find the actual width.

The widest I could find in the 700c size was a Michelin Transworld City 700 x 47.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Wide tyres for 700c rims
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 07:15:53 PM »
using the stock 700 X 380 size tires that came with the bike ..

Don, the 380 is probably the weight, as all the tyres I've seen have widths between 28 and 47mm (19-23mm for tubeless), you might want to check your tyres again to see if you can find the actual width.

The widest I could find in the 700c size was a Michelin Transworld City 700 x 47.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Thanks Alan , You were right .. I found another size marking of 700 X 38c ..
    http://www.everybicycletire.com/Shopping/pc-153-21-700-x-45c-schwalbe-marathon-plus-622.aspx

Thats a tire I found that I found above .. Still yours is wider ..Thanks ;D I will look at it ..Any way to know how much wider it is by the size number?? It would be a bad day if I bought tires that were too big to fit the frame ... Also will the Michelin tire you posted fit on the Magic Pie Wheel ... Do you know .. Thanks so much for all of the help .. Don J.

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Duh !! New Dumb Question From Don
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 07:48:25 PM »
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/schwalbe.asp

That should a link to the Schwalbe 700c X 60c Big Apple tire ... Wonder if that will fit on the Magic pie Wheel ........Ahhh , And in my frame .. The 700 X 38c looks to have 1/4 to 3/8 inch on the left side and ....3/4 inch? on the right side .. Due to the wheel being off center???

The bike works fine like this but I,m wondering how wide a tire I can get in there ?? using the digital micrometer the tire width is 1.38 inches or 34.5 mm if that helps any .. How does that 60 number in the size transfer to size ? Is it supposto be the Milimeter width ?? .... Help  ???.... Thanks , Don J.

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
Re: Duh !! New Dumb Question From Don
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 11:08:38 PM »
Hello Don!

If you still want some answers to your questions, I can supply you with a few.

700c is an old French standard. It’s equal to ISO 622 which is the diameter in mm of the bead seat of the rim. 60 is the width of the tyre in mm but it can vary a bit depending on the width of the rim. A wider rim gives a wider tyre. The width of the tyre should be approximately 1.45 – 2.0 x the inner width of the rim, but that’s only a general guideline. My new bike, which I’m going to convert with a Magic Pie, has a 24 x 3” rear tyre fit on a 32 mm wide rim though. (75 / 32 = 2.34) So Schwalbe’s 60 mm tyre could probably be fitted on a 26 mm wide rim.

What is the width of your rim?

If the rim width on the 24” Magic Pie is to narrow, I’ll replace the rim to a wider one. Hope to find a double walled 24” rim wider than 32 mm because the original looks a little to narrow for the 3” tyre.

Best regards
Peter
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C