Author Topic: more power from the pie  (Read 10970 times)

Offline munyard

more power from the pie
« on: March 30, 2010, 01:13:39 PM »
just thought I would share some recent info about how much power the Magic Pie can make,  running an external controller 108v and 40amps it had 4300w in and about 3.6kw output power.

it has over 130nm of torque, and climbs hills at 50kph+

ive had a bike doing 82kph on flat road, and the motor was pretty warm but can probably take more.

i know this abuse is not what the motor was intended for, so I am truly sorry, but good work has been done by you guys designing this very light motor that can make masses of power.

im happy to help out if people want further info in how to do it (not that hard).

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: more power from the pie
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 01:33:53 PM »
hey,

im waiting for an internal controller that can take up to 90v
im thinking on a switch or something that I can use 2 battery packs in series or parallel.
the batteries are, 48v 12ah and 24v 24ah(or 12ah)
this would make a good setup as I can switch between blasting off and cruising around.
my current setup is 48v Magic Pie and 40km/h what's good for now but I need to replace it in a matter of time as I got it right of the production ans 2 mothn earlier then the rest.

could this be capable for a reasonable price?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 01:46:45 PM »
it has over 130nm of torque, and climbs hills at 50kph+

That sounds very good, what gradient of hill do you think it can climb using your setup?

Did you need to increase the width of the slot in the axle to get the three phase wires and the hall sensor wires to fit through?

im thinking on a switch or something that I can use 2 battery packs in series or parallel.
the batteries are, 48v 12ah and 24v 24ah(or 12ah)

Kevin, you cannot run different voltage batteries in parallel.
You could run just 24V on one or just 48V on the other or 72V using both, but running those batteries in parallel is not an option.

Alan

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 02:09:26 PM »
that's what I meant, being able to switch between 24v 48v and 72v, dubbling the Ah is possible if I had 2 36v batteries but than I wouldn't had the legal 24v :D

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 02:57:45 PM »

I think you'll find it's the continuous power and maximum speed that's the legal requirement, not the Voltage!

Running on 48V you should still be able to restrict the power (and speed) to a legal level.
If the new controller was able to accept 108V, you could use series or parallel switching of a pair of 48V 12Ah batteries, along with a simple restrictor!  ;)

Alan

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 03:47:36 PM »
nice, but 108 is a bit to much.
I only want to get a legal speed and power when necesary but 108v is to much that's why I decided for a 24v also the price was involved

Offline munyard

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 12:04:47 AM »
hardcore -useing a higher voltage as a boost type setup can work well, ive done it with relays on the fly for say double the power , then you switch back for economy, its something electric vehicles can do very well. think of all the motorbikes around with 100+kw and 90% of the time they only use 5kw!

Bikemad -i didnt widen the wire slot at all, just used thin ribon cable for the halls and just separate phase wires, without a cover over the lot, needs a little care not to pinch wires etc.

it has about 44kg of pulling (towing) force at 5kph and the bike weighs about that so it has the torque to get itself up a 90deg slope! but im 90kg so might be about a third of that (30deg maby) with me on the bike, safe to say there are not many "normal" roads too steep, and thats without pedalling.   

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 12:22:36 AM »

I presume it's a rear wheel you've converted, as a front wheel would probably be spinning all over the place with all that torque! I hope that you have suitable torque arms fitted to the axle as well.

I forgot to ask earlier, what controller have you used?
Further details (and some pictures if possible) would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

Offline munyard

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 01:07:52 PM »
yep its the rear wheel, with a wide nobby motorbike tyre.
heres a dyno run of a Magic Pie running on about 90volts, making 2500w ouput power

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 05:59:38 AM »
I only wanted a bike that could do 45km/h but I ended up with one of the slow one's. I am thinking of going down the star delta route myself do you think there would be any problem with this motor doing that?

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 02:29:41 AM »
There must be a mod out there that can do this properly.

I do not own a Pie and hope I don't receive a slow one when I do decide to purchase.

Delta config will give you more speed but you may loose torque.  I'm not sure the speed hit you will get with delta I think you get around 25% to 30% speed increase once all things inefficient have been calculated.

I bought a cheap 75v controller and its now been working flawlessly at 60v (65v full charged) for three whole days now. :o

The only problem I see is efficiency of my little HBS36 is not very good.  A lot of careful hand throttle control makes it workable. The same may apply with delta mode.  I still want to finish a rewind based on 60v.

Going Delta on this hub will not work if the speed control is limited from a feedback sensor signal.  If it is feedback control then it wont matter what configuration you have your windings.  More documentation is needed on the speed limited versions.  Can anyone shed some light how speed is limited in these pies?

Keep at it and let us know if you find a way around the speed limitation.

Bring it on

Offline alswiseowl

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 07:16:05 AM »
munyyard
good work with your modd,sounds tempting
after seeing this thread + another persons thread on e.s(almost identical specs)..
ive decided to mod my pie

hey hardcore

where are you getting your 90v internall controller from
i would be interested,

ive got the hi speed version of the mp1,id like to modd
& run it at around 72v,40-50amps

thanks again people + golden motor (for releasing such a top motorA+++)

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 12:49:45 PM »
hey hardcore

where are you getting your 90v internall controller from
i would be interested,

ive got the hi speed version of the mp1,id like to modd
& run it at around 72v,40-50amps

thanks again people + golden motor (for releasing such a top motorA+++)

I do not have a 90v internal controller but GM is currently developing a 72v capable(90v max I guess).
It's under the section Magic Pie updates and it's called Magic Pie II or Piant

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 08:16:56 PM »
munyard can you take some good photos of the controller you took out and tell us the numbers on the mosfet's? I took the cover off mine this weekend but the photo's I took were rubbish. when you were playing about inside the pie did you see the point where all the three phases come together? I still want to have a go at a star delta set-up my problem is that if I damage my pie what would I buy to replace it? I would have to wait till pie 2 comes along or buy what? couldn't stand not having an ebike to ride round on. I don't like driving my car any more.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
did you see the point where all the three phases come together?

If you look at this photo, the heat resistant covering on the upper right is probably where they are joined:

Alan

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 07:33:16 PM by Bikemad »