Author Topic: "New?" Regen Braking Question ?  (Read 4267 times)

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
"New?" Regen Braking Question ?
« on: March 23, 2010, 10:16:16 PM »

Hello, Uhhh? , Try to make this question simple ... Let's say your riding along with the cruise control set at 8-9MPH ... Now you petal the bike or your goin downhill giving the bike more power from these inputs than the motor is putting out .. Understand so far?

What I am wondering is under these conditions will the battery be charging from your petaling/or downhill coasting?

I rode mine at the 8-9 mph cruise control setting and petaled some .. I could watch on the watts up meter that the more I petaled the less power (AMPS) I was using .. At the end of my 12 mile ride I had 49 of the 50 volts I started with???

I sorta don't think it charges under these conditions but just wondered .. Most likely due to the new 12 AH SLA Batterys and the low power useage .. Watts up meter said 2.220 AH used . (I don't really understand that spec)

Anyhow THANKS for looking at another one of my dumb questions , Don J.

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: "New?" Regen Braking Question ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 12:45:03 AM »
Basically if you pedaling faster or going Downhill while using the cruise function, the motor won't have to work as hard to keep the original speed/power.

You will use much less amperage that way.

The AH rating is just how many amps per hour you're using.

Use 5 amps for an hour and that 5ah

if you use 4 amps for 2 hours that 8ah

the rating on your battery is done in amp hours

so if set for 8 or 9 mph, let's say the motor would pull normaly 5 amps ( just an example) on a flat road. If you start pedalling then the Motor won't have to pull a full 5 amps, maybe only 2.  

So if you ride for 1 hour at 9mph, if you don't pedal you'll use maybe 5ah's (5 amps for 1 hour).
If you pedal with it and go a little faster, the motor won't have to work so hard and will only draw, let's say 2 amps for that hour using only 2ah (2 amps for 1 hour).

Hope that helps answer your questions.

P.S. Nothing about that has anything to do with regen.
Regen has to do with while your braking the motor changes from using electricity FROM the battery to power the motor,  to using the motor as a generator to provide electricty TO the battery. 

Of course there is a more technical explanation about regen but that's the generic use of it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:49:05 AM by sangesf »

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:33:40 PM »

Thanks Sangesf , That did help me .. So in 1 hour or so and 12.5 miles I only used 2.22 AH which means with a 12 AH system I had almost 10AH left.. ? Guessing that's why the voltage was still so high as I hadn't used enough of the stored power for the voltage to drop much ..

And as far as the Regen Braking it is as I thought .... ONLY works when your braking ... Thank You for the help .. Don J.

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 11:24:04 PM »
Jus wait until you get to the point I'm at...

I HAVE to do at LEAST 18mph or I feel like I'm crawling along.

I've had to spend lots of money to be able to get myself going at 18mph for 50+ miles.

:)