Author Topic: Mt Bike questions  (Read 6861 times)

Offline mas0818

Mt Bike questions
« on: January 27, 2010, 05:35:14 PM »
I am interested in installing a Magic Pie motor on my mountain bike.  It has a non steel, suspention front fork, so I am looking at the rear wheel.  I have a 9 speed shimano cassette, and I understand that the new assembly will only take up to a 6 speed.  Can you buy a 6 speed cassette, and will it work with a 9 speed deralier?  Do I understand that the rear wheel Magic Pie kit includes a disk brake.  Does that come with the caliper assembly?

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
Re: Mt Bike questions
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 05:48:49 PM »
Hello,

Where are you from, ?

You can adjust your speedselector/derailer by 2 srews. So you can use it. By adjusting these screws you can set the max range the chain is alowed to go. So The srews stop the derailer when you have reached the las gear on your bike.

There are also possibility's to put on more gears by choosing a narrower gear unit. You also need a narrower chain and front gears though.

Jerry..
. _   _   __  __  ___  ____  ____  _     _   ____  ____
 ( )_( ) (  ) (  )(  _ \ (  _ \ (  _  )(  \/\/ ) ( ___) (  _ \
  ) _ (   )(__)(  ) _<  )___/ )(_)(  )      (   )__)   )    /
 (_) (_)(_____)(__ / (__)  (____)(__/\__)(____)(_)\_)

Offline Magic Poop

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 08:59:12 PM »
I would strongly suggest something other then the Magic Pie.
I unfortunately own one and the controller died after 20 kms of light use.
Now the controller and motor needs replacing.
The integrated controller seems like a good idea but as you can tell it didn't last long before mine broke.
The added heat from the motor and R.P.M.'s can't be helping the controller situation either.
I really wish someone would have warned me, but when I ordered mine no one had one yet.
I would suggest trying your luck with there motor and controller seperate from Goldem Motor.
If I could buy again that would be the route I would take.

Take Care.

Offline Magic Poop

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 09:00:52 PM »
One other thing I have spoke to people who own both the Pie and 48 volt system and they say the pie is alot slower.

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 09:11:25 PM »
I get 45km/h with my Pie! 60km or now and no signs of any problems. The controller DOES NOT ROTATES with the motor and is fixed at the stator plate. In my city the temperature was 30ÂșC or more and I had no heat issues. I weight more than 110kg.

My system uses 7 speed shifter with the 6 sprocket, you can use the 9 with the 6 sprocket with no problems, but two of the selection options will be "false".

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Disc brakes are not included as standard
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 11:57:12 PM »
I understand that the rear wheel Magic Pie kit includes a disk brake.  Does that come with the caliper assembly?

The front and rear Magic Pies have the threaded holes in the hub ready for a suitable brake disc to be bolted on, but none of the disc brake components are supplied as standard, these items will need to be ordered from the accessories section if you specifically require them.

This is what came with my rear Magic Pie kit:

(Pedelec unit included for EU countries only)

It does not come with tyre or inner tube, but rim tape is already fitted:

The Magic Pie will also require a suitable thread-on freewheel.
GM recommend a maximum of six speeds, and these can be supplied at extra cost if you don't already have one.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:11:34 PM by Bikemad »

Offline pixelplay

• Simons Superbikes
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 06:53:24 AM »
I just got my hub and it looks very different to yours and seems to have no way to attach the disc brake. Is there extra parts I need to attach it? I notice yours had holes drilled for the brake and mine hasn't got those.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re:Brake disc adapter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 01:23:48 PM »
I just got my hub and it looks very different to yours and seems to have no way to attach the disc brake. Is there extra parts I need to attach it? I notice yours had holes drilled for the brake and mine hasn't got those.

Hi and to the forum.

The Magic Pies come with disc attachment holes as standard, but as you have one of the HSB motors you will need to use a threaded adapter like this:

This adapter does not come with the standard kit and does not appear to be available on the website, so you will need to email Tom (zhourenli@goldenmotor.com) for a price if you can't buy one locally.

Check out this post for more details.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:15:44 PM by Bikemad »