Author Topic: Magic pie regen  (Read 3829 times)

Offline mas0818

Magic pie regen
« on: January 21, 2010, 04:32:41 PM »
Is it correct that with the Magic Pie motor, the battery needs to be in place and turned on.  I think I understand that the controller would be burned up when the brakes are applied and the motor regenerates.  If this is the case, you couldn't use the bike just for excersice with the battery removed to cut weight.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Magic pie regen
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 06:48:40 PM »
i thought in some other post they said they fixed this some how, I suggest you find out witch post it was, before opening a new one.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie regen
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 09:57:45 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

I think this is the information you are looking for:

Quote from: Yao Yuan (GM Representative)
We have recently enhanced the cruise controller to detect if the battery pack is in place. If the battery is switched off, or is not connected at all, the controller will check the back EMF voltage, if it exceeds the preset limit, the controller will disable the regenerative braking to protect controller from being damaged.

Quote from: Yao Yuan (GM Representative)
As of today, 22/7/2009, the day of the eclipse, all GoldenMotor controllers have a new function to deal with the issue of regen braking burning out the controller while battery is off.

It should be fine to use the bike just for excercise with the battery removed, but if you leave it attached you'll get even more exercise.
With the battery fitted, you would have the option to turn it on when you were completely worn out!

Alan

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 11:10:31 PM by Bikemad »