Author Topic: Installing Front Hub  (Read 8942 times)

Offline RWD

Installing Front Hub
« on: January 09, 2010, 04:51:33 AM »
My front Magic Pie hub came with rear Magic Pie installation instructions only. I have some questions:

1. For a front hub installation should the cable come out of the right side or left side of the fork?
2. There were two 4cm rings tie-wrapped to the hub axle. What are these two rings for and where am I to place them.
3. If available, please post the front hub installation instructions.
4. Anything else to be aware of when installing a front hub Magic Pie?

Thanks,

RWD

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: Installing Front Hub
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 05:47:12 AM »
Please, attach some photos! :D

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 02:49:33 PM »
My front Magic Pie hub came with rear Magic Pie installation instructions only. I have some questions:

1. For a front hub installation should the cable come out of the right side or left side of the fork?
2. There were two 4cm rings tie-wrapped to the hub axle. What are these two rings for and where am I to place them.
3. If available, please post the front hub installation instructions.
4. Anything else to be aware of when installing a front hub Magic Pie?

Hi andto the forum.

1. The wheel should be fitted so the cables exit on the left hand side.

2. As far as I'm aware, these rings are only required on the rear wheel. They are used for spacing the freewheel further from the hub depending on the type of freewheel being fitted. Place them somewhere safe until you can find a use for them. (I haven't found a use for mine yet.)

3. No  instructions available as yet which are specifically for the front hub installation, the User Manual you already have is all that's currently available.

4. Make sure the axle fits fully into the fork dropouts and the washers fit nice and flat against either side of the forks and that the axle nuts are done up nice and tight.
(loose axle nuts can cause the axle to spin inside the fork dropouts, this can be very dangerous if the dropouts fail.)
You might want to check out this post on ES for more information.

You know where we are if you have any further queries. ;)

Alan

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 10:29:01 PM »
G'day RWD,

I don't have a MP but I have brand of hub that came with those rings as well. They are for fitting the disc to the hub to space it away from the hub depending on what brakes you have as some calipers may rub on the hub.

Muzza.

Offline RWD

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 11:03:35 PM »
Thank you Muzza and Alan,

Appreciate the help.

This is my first MP conversion but my second Golden Motor ebike front hub conversion. I like my old ebike so well this one is for my daughter. She just got back from a ride with my ebike. Came in with a big grin on her face. Anxious for her MP ebike to be done.

I realize most like rear hubs. That's great. But, after riding an ebike for several months, I prefer front hub. I think the bike is better balanced, less load on the hub (which is good and bad), and gives a safer ride. The only thing is front forks can't handle the torque of these powerful motors. So I use a bike with a steel fork and weld reinforcement plates to the fork. Once painted it doesn't look bad. Plus the MP axle rides on a double plate of about 1/2" (12mm) thickness. No chance that the front fork fingers will fail and have several months of ebike riding to prove it. Also, I like to install a heavy duty tube filled with slime.

Thanks again for your help. GM Brazil, I will post pics when done.

RWD

Offline Harvey_Mushman

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 07:39:26 AM »
The MP has regen braking. If you are in the midst of a turn (in gravel) and touch the brake lever ..it could be bad  :o

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 12:03:47 PM »
For this case there is the option to connect the levers in series, so the Regenerative bracking will only be activated when you use both of them.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Spacer Shims/Washers
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 03:18:51 PM »
I don't have a MP but I have brand of hub that came with those rings as well. They are for fitting the disc to the hub to space it away from the hub depending on what brakes you have as some calipers may rub on the hub.

Here are a couple of pictures showing the rings that were supplied with my Magic Pie:

They are the correct size to fit on the freewheel boss and are used to space the free wheel further from the hub when there is not enough clearance.
One should be enough, and is easily fitted by simply placing it on the threaded boss before the freewheel is screwed on.

If one shim is not enough, It might be wise to consider using a different freewheel instead of additional shims. Fitting more shims would further reduce the amount of thread available for fixing the freewheel, making it more prone to stripping the soft aluminium threads on the hub.

The shim takes up some of the threads visible in the picture on the right, which was taken before the freewheel had been fully screwed on:

They should not be used for spacing a bolt on brake disc as used on the Magic Pie, as the brake disc would not have a suitable flat surface area to be tightened against.
If you need to space the brake disc on a Magic Pie in order to give a little bit more clearance for the brake calliper, make sure you use identical washers (or sets of washers) on each of the six fixing bolts between the disc and the hub.
If you're using the fixing holes nearer to the axle, you may need to file or grind a flat on each of the washers to ensure they clear the disc locating lip (the sticking out bit) on the hub.

However, as Muzza has correctly stated, they can be used on other hubs to space a screw on brake disc adapter like this:

I hope that has made things a little bit clearer for everyone.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 05:58:13 PM by Bikemad »

Offline muzza.au

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 06:53:57 PM »
Thanks for clarifying that Alan, now we all know!   :-[

ps. Alan, you could copy your post into the User Guide To Installation thread.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:56:21 PM by muzza.au »