Author Topic: Performances Magic Pie  (Read 26000 times)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Performances Magic Pie
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2010, 12:26:38 AM »
The other noteworthy observation was the power of the regen brake effect. On the damp roads yesterday I was very much aware the rear wheel could lose traction if the regen 'effect' were used in a sharp corner at speed. Experiencing the vigorous regen effect makes using the actual brakes feel rather dead and lifeless, a bit like stepping on Chairman Mau.

However, I notice the RED light indicating EMPTY on the throttle control shows all the time. It also appears the charger will switch off after 2-3 hours, it gets quite hot. Is this normal?

Bernie,

It's good to hear your bike is working well.

The regen will be more powerful on 24V than it would be on 36 or 48V, but unfortunately there is no adjustment for it.
If they produced these kits with variable regen, it would be much better.

The battery indicator red light should be on all the time, but it should be accompanied by the other two lights when the battery is well charged.  As the battery level goes down, the other two light should gradually go out one at a time. (Assuming you have a 24V throttle unit).
I think these battery gauges were originally intended for lead acid batteries, which have a more noticeable voltage drop as they are discharged, unlike the Lithium battery packs, so don't expect the gauge to be very accurate.

As for the charging time, this will obviously depend upon how discharged the battery is. If you've only used 50% of its capacity, it should charge almost twice as quick as a fully discharged pack.
I don't have a GM battery or charger, so I don't know how hot they get, perhaps someone who does will be able to confirm if this is normal or not.
If it's a universal charger (110-240V) it may well run hotter and could even charge quicker with the 240V supply you're using.

Has anyone else used the 24V battery pack?

Alan

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 01:15:07 AM »
I have the 48v one. The charger does not heat too much, you can touch it with no problem. But for sure it gets hot.

Pay attention: did you changed the voltage switch to 220v?

Does not matter if you use 220v or 110v for the charger, it will charge with the specified current, so, using it at 220v will not charge your battery faster :D

TRK

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2010, 03:33:57 PM »
I ordered a 24Volt 16AH Battery with my Magic Pie since here in Australia the law is a maximum of 200 watts. The MP 24Volt combo claims to produce 250 Watts, so I'm only slightly illegal.
Actually that might just be perfectly legal as your motor is about 80% efficient, so the power delivered to the street should be about 250W * 0,80 = 200W.

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2010, 08:03:18 PM »
they can't test if it has more power, can they?

Offline Bernie

• Confirmed
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2010, 03:42:41 AM »
Thanks guys,

I've never understood electricity. I know there were a number of 19th century European inventor wallers, whose names are to be found on all matters electric: A German chap name OHMS, an Englishman, named WATTS, an Italian named VOLT (A) And I'm pretty sure there's a Frenchman in there somewhere too; AMPERE?.

Therefore I cannot begin to understand why the Regen retardation effect on a 24 Volt would be higher than it would be on a 36V or 48V. The comment I made on the Regen was not intended as a criticism of the MP. I actually think it's an asset, but it does assume a degree of competence on the rider's part. You wouldn't want to be coming down the Brenner Pass in Switzerland at 70 Kph in the ice & snow and dab that brake mid corner.

The 'fuel' lights appear not to be functioning, the RED light is permanently on. Either my old peepers are too feeble to detect light in the green and yellow ones, or they're defunct. I'm not losing sleep because the 24 Volt MP has well and truly exceeded my expectations. It may be the least impressive combo to choose (I felt like a wuss after I placed my order) But it is a real and effective machine.

Also if it is true 250 theoretical Watts become 200 actual Watts at the rear wheel after friction loss, and I am perfectly legal, then I am doing handsprings. If it isn't, it doesn't really matter, 'cause I will tell the local Police woman the former story while keeping perfectly straight face.

My bet is she understands less about electricity than I do.

TRK

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2010, 05:55:05 PM »
they can't test if it has more power, can they?

They could on my old moped a few decades ago, pretty sure they haven't forgotten that trick. ;)

Also if it is true 250 theoretical Watts become 200 actual Watts at the rear wheel after friction loss, and I am perfectly legal, then I am doing handsprings. If it isn't, it doesn't really matter, 'cause I will tell the local Police woman the former story while keeping perfectly straight face.

My bet is she understands less about electricity than I do.

it's not 250 W in theory, that is what goes into the motor.  About 20% is lost but the remaining 80% is delivered on the street, this is what usually counts in legislation.  To keep things simple I would just tell them it's a motor that can deliver 200 W, and remember that it's their job to prove otherwise if they want to make a big deal out of it, not yours!

BTW I reckon that the Magic Pie would use 500W at 24 Volt, so you might want to keep a low profile anyway.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2010, 12:51:06 AM »
BTW I reckon that the Magic Pie would use 500W at 24 Volt, so you might want to keep a low profile anyway.

That's pretty close, I measured 465Watts on 24V Lead Acid and 525Watts on 25.9V Lithium Polymer.

See this post for more details.

Alan

Offline gf3

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2010, 05:43:50 PM »
My Magic Pie is slow as well with a 48v 20 amp hour ping battery I get 35kph I did some measurements today. Measured at the bullet connectors that go to the motor I had 52.9v when going full throttle on the flat it dropped to 50.2v the voltage across the black and red wire going to the throttle is 4.37v and the voltage between the black and white wire no throttle is 0.82v full throttle is 3.51v. I Weigh 100kg fully clothed. The tyres are semi slicks and are pumped up hard. Has anyone got any idea why the bike maybe slow?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:29:02 PM by gf3 »

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2010, 10:07:51 PM »
maybe the 100 kg  ;)

Offline Bernie

• Confirmed
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2010, 04:41:30 AM »
I had the missus follow me in her car and she reckons my 24V MP is doing 29 Klms per hour. I know from my SatNav her speedo is optimistic, so I reckon it does 27Kph on the flat, no wind & my corpulent 105 KGS perched on the seat.

I said earlier that in choosing the 24V I was trying to stay legal in OZ where the limit is a farcical 200W. I never dreamed the least powerful option would be as good as this has proved to be. It isn't often you buy something which exceeds expectation.

For around the cost of registering (let alone INSURING) a 6 Cylinder Car in our State, the MP has turned a very old bicycle into a viable and economical second vehicle which is also fun to ride.